The Rift is Killing My Enthusiasm for DBD

Options
PyroGL
PyroGL Member Posts: 239

I know there have been many threads with feedback regarding the Rift, but I feel like I need to express my own concerns about the Rift and my future with DBD. To put it simply, the current system of near constant Rifts being active is making me want to quit playing DBD altogether. I have completed each of the first 3 Rifts with 1-2 weeks of time remaining. In each case, I completed the Archives and landed at about Tier 65-67, and was able to grind out the rest of the tiers, but it left me exhausted from playing DBD. After reaching Tier 70 in all previous Rifts, I ended up taking breaks from the game and did not play until the next Rift started (which ends up being a few weeks).

This latest Rift, however, is pushing me over the edge. Despite playing a similar number of hours and keeping the similar playing patterns (usually getting at least the 2 games min per day, and more when time is available), I have completed the Archives, got to Tier 61, and have a week to grind out 9 tiers if I want to complete the Rift. Mathematically, it would take about 20 hours in game to achieve this. This does not count for queue times, loading times, BP spending, and max XP efficiency (i.e. getting out of the game right at the 10 min mark when xp gain/second stops). I do not think this is feasible to accomplish this in a week without ridiculous sacrifices, but it is obviously my choice whether to attempt it or not. What bothers me most, though is that I'm put in this position at all.

As a big fan of DBD, I've played about 1,350 hrs over the past 4 years, and never have I felt more irritated and annoyed about the game. I've participated in all the in-game events DBD has offered, including the crazy community challenges from year 1, and completed them all. I'm perfectly willing to do limited time events, but not ones that are 70 days long and restart a few weeks later. Because of the daily nagging to play (to get the bonus XP for Survivor and Killer), DBD has become more of a chore that I feel demands far too much attention, and consequently drains my willingness to play.

Obviously to some extent this is a self-inflicted wound. Sure, I should just "not care" about the Rift, but the Rift is designed to MAKE you participate in it. Regardless of what you do, the challenge widget pops up after every game and reminds you and gnaws at you that the Rift is going and you have challenges to do/prizes to claim. Again, this is fine for shorter events that last a week or two, but the Rift has become something that I frankly hate and despise. So much so that I am going to be more annoyed and pissed off that I got so far in the current Rift and didn't quite reach the goal; which feels like my time was wasted, which ultimately makes me not want to play at all. This endless cycle of Rifts is unsustainable (for me), and I really hate it.

Please... for those at BHVR that have any empathy for people's time, stop doing Rifts to often, and stop making them harder to complete (yes the community has done the math, we know you did this on purpose).

Comments

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2020
    Options

I finished this rift several days ago, but I get what you mean. It is a hell of a lot of grind, which is why I took an extended break after completing the second rift and didn’t do the third one at all (not having Kate Denson made it an easy decision for me to make).

• Jyn_Mojito
    Jyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515
    Options

@Tactless_Ninja Good luck, hope you make it 🙏

• ZCerebrate
    ZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
    edited October 2020
    Options

@Orion has a good point that you don't have to do the rifts... they even specifically give you an option "not" to do them just like every other battlepass. If your need for "completing" everything is causing stress then I gotta wonder do you also own every other "cosmetic" in this game (Whether you like their look or not)?

Edit: The battlepass system is directly designed to increase games played by people "grinding" and "no-lifing" the game rather than going to something else and why it was so wildly popular in Fortnite and emulated by other companies. A fully multiplayer game that "requires" a reasonably active playerbase for queue times is only helped by this, especially since the cells allow renewal to keep those time-dedicated "value seeking" players. If you are shelling out cash to buy every cosmetic like the whale that microtransactions already target anyway - then buying a few rift levels shouldn't be hurting your disposable incoming any further than just buying every new cosmetic anyway

You can play normally as much as you think is fun and then buy the rest of the rift levels to complete the rift and even get "some of that auric cell" value back for getting the rest of the cosmetics. The grind is completely optional just like the cosmetics that come with it... it has basically no actual gameplay implications to finish the rift each time... the challenges are free bloodpoints and goals (albeit stupid goals at times) to help keep interest and reduce the sheer tedium, not making it worse.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

Orion I actually agree with you here. I honestly think the rifts are nothing too bad. I get them done with multiple weeks left typically.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Options

I think for me it's because this is my 1st Rift, and had no idea what to expect. I've put in the grind but the last chapter of the tome I've barely been able to complete, and freely admit it's due to not having enough hours in the game or having enough perks built up to help complete them. Still frustrating, though.

• ImighthaveDS
    ImighthaveDS Member Posts: 18
    Options

It is sooooo easy to max out the rift. Always get it done way too fast and early. This is a troll post.

• ZCerebrate
    edited October 2020
    Options

Please explain how cosmetics (outside of blending dark ones), belt and hook charm cosmetics is helping you "win" the game or specifically any gameplay interaction?

The closest thing to "pay to win" in DbD is the existence of Licensed Killer/Survivor perks that are time locked from F2P players through Shrine, as that has direct gameplay implications (Would be more willing to be critical around those mechanics). Heck even arguing that the bloodpoint grind to access each teachable and have them available on all killers or any one survivor would be a valid complaint in my eyes.

The cosmetics are very low monetary "cost" in exchange for the number of cosmetics you would get compared to buying specific ones directly. Time is Money is the common concept that comes up around Pay 2 Win - but the grind here is for "cosmetics" specifically not for reaching a specific end goal of a gameplay build.

You obviously enjoy playing the game - and even go about to finish all the tome challenges but feel that the last 50~300 game push is too high of a grind... I understand your feelings but you've already significantly reduced the price of finishing the rift by buying those levels of cosmetics (by inherent design of battlepasses) by playing the game up to that point. It's not time wasted no matter how you spin it because you're still recreationally playing the game naturally not under gunpoint...

"Being forced" to see those rift notifications and participate in the rift "is not" a bad thing. A lot of players actively forget to set their next challenge even with those notifications, missing out on potential bloodpoint/time value if they aren't planning to 100% each tome anyway. If all you are asking for were to be able to turn off the notification that covers your text box at the end of each game then I wouldn't even respond to that QoL suggestion (but that's not your topic's main concern even though you brought it up twice now).

"But I shouldn't have to play any further nor should another rift come up if I want to take a break from the game for a significant amount of time (more than the current time inbetween rifts)." While that's already a subjective amount of time as it is - it's the same as overworrying about not logging on at a minimum of every 3 days to finish dailies. These things can be viewed as a bonuses as intended, not a chores... it's your perception that does it.

You also admitted that you're not going out of your way to "buy" every single cosmetic available either because obviously throwing those up on an ad when you load up the game is "predatory" as well, but not being able to receive a charm or final cosmetic is a "must" now without shelling out a few dollars worth of auric (significantly less than not playing at all and just buying the entire rift pass.. but who plays cosmetics for games they don't even play?). I'm still trying to point out to you and other players who complain about the rift grind that it has NO direct implications on your gameplay, if anything it helps your bloodpoint grind significantly just by participating.

Buying that first pass (maybe even this one) was a value preposition you "decided" to subscribe to, more transparency on the numbers would be "ballpark estimates" by each player anyway much like the projections players go out and do since the information IS available even before your purchase if you wish to crunch them.

Edit: I don't see how having MORE time where there are less active players in a game where you NEED those active players to form matches is any healthier for longevity and keeping the game alive. Personal mental and physical health isn't and should not be on the onus of the gaming company but something you have to police yourself and step away from video gaming if it is negatively impacting you. If you are living a healthy and working lifestyle - you just play to have fun and "choose" to drop money on additional cosmetics like any other microtransaction in this game (whether microtransactions are predatory isn't even the argument here). The rift COMPLETION is fully optional whether you were "forced" to participate in it or not and earn some free bloodpoints.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

It would be nice if the Rifts were open longer.

I might just straight up buy all 70 tiers next time.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

As An adult I choose not to participate in the rift in any meaningful way. How do I do this you ask?

Firstly I don't care about meaningless cosmetics so I never purchase it.

Second I only do challenges but I don't go out of my way to do them and I only do them for extra blood points.

I don't care if I get rift tiers I care for blood points only.

You see you do have a choice to not let it get to you. Personally I feel those that feel they NEED to finish it want to blame a system rather than look into themselves about why they themselves feel this way.

I feel people are too quick to push the blame onto others for a decision only they alone can make. Its a blame shifting mentality for one's own issues.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    Options

I like doing the challenges but you just don't get enough fragments from them and some of them are incredibly difficult at the red ranks.

I'd much rather prefer they had a rift specific shop that you spent fragments in or every x levels you got a token to buy what you wanted but this probably won't happen for the obvious reasons that battle passes exist to keep you grinding.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

It still all comes down to a want not a need.

That analogy is completely different as everyone in this game has the same opportunity. Its a choice to purchase something knowing you may not be able to complete it and put pressure onto yourself.

• ZCerebrate
    edited October 2020
    Options

Just flex on all the plebs sweating trying to chase down the ice cream truck by following it to it's next stop in your sportscar. Only the ice cream man is nice enough to give you a discount now for going to the "trouble" following him and because he recognizes that you waited in line previously instead of just going to another ice cream parlor (maybe another game that doesn't have microtransactions) but missing that "Spongbob character popsicle" (cosmetic) or another ice cream truck (a game that also has a battle pass just like this one).

@twistedmonkey's tone may have been more belittling than necessary but that doesn't make the argument wrong because someone would feel offended by it.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Options

Lol @ZCerebrate I'm giggling at the image of chasing down an ice cream truck in a Maserati 🤣

@twistedmonkey I hope you know that even though we have different perspectives on this subject, I still respect your opinion. There's lots of different reasons ppl play and what playstyle they have objectives in. I'm not a competitive person, but I do tend to take on challenges for completionism. To each their own, and may we all enjoy our time in the Fog as much as possible <3

• Blackscales
    Blackscales Member Posts: 8
    Options

I think you make a very valid point and i understand your concern. I especially understand that nagging feeling of having it pop-up in your face after every game. That said, i personally feel like having ongoing tasks really makes me motivated to actually play the game when i might otherwise drop it for weeks at a time. Have a sort of short-term goal in sight makes gameplay far more rewarding for me. Then again, I'm content in the mindset that I'm not going to be able to complete everything and i just enjoy the tasks as they come. Perhaps there could be an alternative trivial questing type aspect to the game that would be less intrusive to those who find it bothersome?

• cloudface
    cloudface Member Posts: 93
    Options

"usually getting at least the 2 games min per day"

😕

You play "2 games per day" as a minimum and you're getting burned out? Sheesh!

I finished the rift days ago because I did the challenges-didn't even finish em all-which actually made this occasional dumpster fire game a lot more enjoyable 😑 "oh well, another dud trial-but at least I got a challenge done" I said over and over 😃

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    edited October 2020
    Options

Jesus christ, this is worrying. From the looks of your post this game is having a severe psychological impact, I beg you to stop playing it, its not good.

You guys need to learn when to stop before it becomes an addiction.

• Judicar
    Judicar Member Posts: 36
    Options

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you so if I am, sorry but the Rift stresses you out, so then don't do them? Or just don't obsess over doing everything? I mean, holy ****, it's common sense if something stresses you out then you walk away from it. It's a game - most of us have grown up realizing we can't do everything in them, especially when we get older with other responsibilities. Your melodrama though...you are literally saying you might quit the game over the stupid Rift of all things.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,602
    Options

We want the rewards from them since the base game gives us so little. You know what 700,000 bloodpoints will get you to? Lvl 30 on one character, if even that. And that's taking into account how small the first couple of webs are.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582
    Options

Rift is fine for veteran players who want new challenges to work for.

However, when you're still in that lower to middle bracket of players, the Rift can be way too grindy added into the current grind of Bloodwebs.

• mike2835
    mike2835 Member Posts: 83
    Options

I used to play almost every day for hours on end., but when battlepass showed up it took a lot of the fun out of game. The grind is ridiculously long compared to other games. I been playing less and less since it started. Recently took like 3 months away from game. The grind is way to long, the rewards aren't that great. How about putting free items in all those blank tiles. I'd be happy with a med pack. I rarely wear all these cosmetics and charms are the worst part of game. They just invented them to fill spots on rift.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,392
    Options

I did the rift once. I got so burnt out after that one time I stopped playing the game for months. Almost 2 whole rifts passed before I got the energy to play again.

• evil_one_74
    evil_one_74 Member Posts: 312
    Options

The rift is messing with the game. People get so caught up in doing challenges that they forget that there's a match to play.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

OP's a guy who's suffering from FOMO but isn't desperate enough to open their wallet up and cash out. Just because you've a will of iron, doesn't mean everyone else have it.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

I jumped in and bought the rift immidiately because I foolishly anticipated the grind to match the previous one. I was mistaken. What this rift has taught me is that I won't be buying the next rift until I have finished Tome 5 and can see how much needs to be done by grind alone. At least then I can choose to play because I want the cosmetics, as opposed to playing to win my Auric Cells back.

I think you feel the pressure of the grind more if you have already commited your money to it.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

100% my man, the grind is rediculous and we all know why, they want you to pay for the end...which is not very consumer friendly.

This is why I answered on the recent survey that while the game is fun, it is absolutely not worth the time it is costing me right now.

Heck imagine, time is money, and im spending weeks now to finish a rift worth about 10 bucks now......

The rift grind needs to be radically reduced, many ways to do this as well, like for example if you have done every challenge a 5th bonus level opens with hard challenges to get to the end faster if you can manage it.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,426
    Options

That this would become an issue for some people was pointed out even before the first battlepass release, including suggestions how to prevent it (not closing the battlepass for people who bought it so everyone can finish it whenever they want for example).

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options
  • Skelemania
    Skelemania Member Posts: 227
    Options

I personally feel like I've been playing a ton, more so than ever, and I'm only level 57. So yeah, the grind is real. Honestly about to just give up & it doesn't feel worth it to me anymore.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,542
    Options

I feel the same way

I'm kinda brunt from playing... mostly from the climb to rank 1 (never doing that again)

Also the game not innovating in a way that "jumps off the page" - so to speak

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    Options

I agree. He usually trying for the "vote up" comments when he had nothing to say. I also read that he never get exhausted on the ground while using dead hard and works fine for him when the discussion creator said that the perk doesn't work.

I guess he's the only one who beats latency and of course the better player.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

Yeah this one is insane. I thought the first one was a slog, but I've completed literally every challenge and afterward I was still at 61. I'm currently at 68; it's so painful. They shouldn't have decreased the amount of shards we get for challenges.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    Options

It adds a repetitive grind to a game that normally is all about new experiences. That's dull and boring, and humans psychologically are usually inclined to dislike the minor reward for steep effort.

There are neurological reasons behind this stuff.