The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Idea to add 30 seconds before another gen can be complete

The idea is simple, after a gen is complete, no other gens can be complete until 30 seconds are over but the gens can still be worked on until almost full but 30 seconds needs to pass by before another can be fully repaired.

My reasons for this idea: The time it takes to hook 1 person could be more than enough time for 3 gens to be completed at the same time, this is one of the reasons survivors feel overwhelming on the killer and make the killer feel powerless at times

Killers cant hook 3 survivors at the same time so why should they be able to complete 3 gens at once? and it takes 12 hooks to get a 4 man, but only 5 gens for an escape so its quite unbalanced, i believe that this idea will be a step in the right direction if implemented as the current state of the balance in this game isnt as enjoyable as it could be, its a simple idea and could give the killer a bit more control as they seem to get bullied quite a bit sometimes xD

Comments

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

This idea has been suggested before and I don't think it's a good way to approach the problem. For one thing, it punishes the survivor for doing their main objective by preventing them from completing it. It would also feel very clunky and frustrating for the game to be brought to a screeching halt, or to be almost done with a gen and someone else completing one right before you finish. Another thing is that it leaves things stagnant in the game. I think a better way to approach the issue of genrush would be secondary objectives, like finding gas cans to fill up the gens or parts. Not only would this slow the game down, but it would flow better, feel less punishing, and it would open new doors into how certain perks and items could work.

• Zanfer
    Zanfer Member Posts: 647

This wouldn't stop gens from being 99% than just one tapping them to finish them..

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    edited September 2018
    What if after a gen is complete breakers/switches needed to be turned on in order to continue progress? You can work on the gens but when one is completed progress stops until the breaker for that gen is switched on... this gives the killer time to go around kicking gens hooking people etc...... there cant be just a pause in the match that doesnt make sense there needs to be some sort of objective for them to complete 
  • redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    How about about the breakers for the gens are in 2-3 places depending on map basement shack and unique map only areas takes one to two to turn them back on or since theres seven gens make it once you start opening a gate another gen is needed halfway if its a full team if 2 left gates open normally
  • redsopine1
    Or have the gates stay open for 10 seconds before needing a reopen meaning if you want to troll you gotta risk it
  • Tazare
    Tazare Member Posts: 39

Zanfer, it still stops 3 gens being done straight away, and in those 30 seconds you could go to other gens and damage them :v

Shrimp i like your idea of looking for parts as it would actually give you something to do rather than sit on a gen until its complete but i dont know if the devs could be bothered to add it as they seem to be oblivious to the balance and health of the game

• Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346

@Tazare said:
    and in those 30 seconds you could go to other gens and damage them :v

Or you can camp the hooked guy without worrying about gen rushing, which is what a lot would do sadly.
    There has to be a better way to deal with that , one that a killer has to earn and not one that a killer gets for free and can help camping.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Grey87 said:

@Tazare said:
    and in those 30 seconds you could go to other gens and damage them :v

Or you can camp the hooked guy without worrying about gen rushing, which is what a lot would do sadly.
    There has to be a better way to deal with that , one that a killer has to earn and not one that a killer gets for free and can help camping.

Takes 2:30 (150 seconds) for a Survivor to die, assuming they struggle all the way to the end. That's 5x30, meaning there's enough time to repair all generators and get out. This would nerf camping, if Survivors didn't feed it.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

I suggested this exact thing before. That's the real problem in this game is when multiple gens pop at once. If you could only do 1 at a time that would fix so much.

• redsopine1
    Also depends what kind of team you have really altruistic ones tend to be easy kills if hooked right basement is jest for that stick them at back or side people rush down you get stairs and take em down
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Tazare said:

The idea is simple, after a gen is complete, no other gens can be complete until 30 seconds are over but the gens can still be worked on until almost full but 30 seconds needs to pass by before another can be fully repaired.

My reasons for this idea: The time it takes to hook 1 person could be more than enough time for 3 gens to be completed at the same time, this is one of the reasons survivors feel overwhelming on the killer and make the killer feel powerless at times

Killers cant hook 3 survivors at the same time so why should they be able to complete 3 gens at once? and it takes 12 hooks to get a 4 man, but only 5 gens for an escape so its quite unbalanced, i believe that this idea will be a step in the right direction if implemented as the current state of the balance in this game isnt as enjoyable as it could be, its a simple idea and could give the killer a bit more control as they seem to get bullied quite a bit sometimes xD

The killer could in theory camp a person and not really get penalized. Not a fan of this at all. Killers can camp that is a choice. Working on the objective punishes the camp.
  • ShrimpTwiggs

@Hellbilly said:

@Tazare said:

It's a good idea but the devs are (for whatever reason) adamant about not adding more time to complete gens or open the gate. Even though in doing so would be a pretty simple fix to the problem of gens getting done too quickly.

Instead, the devs want to add secondary objectives.

Because simply adding time to gens is very boring gameplay wise. It's not fun sitting their and holding one button for eighty seconds and pressing another one now and then. Adding secondary objectives is a more creative and far more interesting approach to the genrush problem. It also allows for new approaches to perks and items.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Hellbilly said:

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Hellbilly said:

@Tazare said:

It's a good idea but the devs are (for whatever reason) adamant about not adding more time to complete gens or open the gate. Even though in doing so would be a pretty simple fix to the problem of gens getting done too quickly.

Because simply adding time to gens is very boring gameplay wise. It's not fun sitting their and holding one button for eighty seconds and pressing another one now and then. Adding secondary objectives is a more creative and far more interesting approach to the genrush problem. It also allows for new approaches to perks and items.

I know, bud, it's soooooo immensely difficult to hold your mouse button for an extra 20-30 seconds. Poor baby, I know that feeling, that is so insanely difficult to do. Not everyone can do that, you need special training in order to do something like that, right?

Yeah and that's why the devs are working on implementing new objectives that survivors have to complete.. because it's too easy and the objective gets done too fast and it's way too boring... the devs implementing new objectives means new perks, items, add ons... it opens up a whole new section for the game... 
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    edited September 2018

@Hellbilly said:

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Hellbilly said:

@Tazare said:

I know, bud, it's soooooo immensely difficult to hold your mouse button for an extra 20-30 seconds. Poor baby, I know that feeling, that is so insanely difficult to do. Not everyone can do that, you need special training in order to do something like that, right?

I never said it was difficult, my friend. I said it was boring. Big difference between the two.

• ShrimpTwiggs

@Hellbilly said:

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Hellbilly said:

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Hellbilly said:

@Tazare said:

I never said it was difficult, my friend. I said it was boring. Big difference between the two.

I know little baby, it's okay. I know holding down Mouse 1 for an extra 20-30 seconds is just too demanding for you in your very busy and productive life.

Demanding and boring are still very different. Sorry that I want the game to be fun instead of sitting at a gen holding one button for 100 seconds. And Insulting me isn't going to make you look any better. I don't know why you're being so abrasive in an otherwise civilized argument, but I suggest you tone yourself down a bit. You look like a child.

• Asssthetic
    Asssthetic Member Posts: 203

They should just make it so survivors have to find a gas can before doing a gen so it adds another objective to the game. You can't really complain about survivors doing gens since its literally their only objective in the game (other than unhooking survivors when necessary). They just need to add more objectives for survivors so they can't just push through gens quickly. Also gates need to be longer since they literally open as soon as you get there. They should also make it so the progress decreases when nobody is on it. The game is just so unbalanced regardless of the title of being asymmetric

• Zaije
    Zaije Member Posts: 38
    Tazare said:

This would promote camping knowing survivors cannot work on gens for 30 seconds. 
  • Tazare

Asssthetic, i dont think the gates are too bad since the survivors already done the objective, i dont think its right to make it harder for them to get rewarded for completing it, i think the problem lies in how fast completing the objective actually is.

The intent for my idea was to prevent the objective to be completed in less than 4 minutes when survivors play optimally, i dont think the killer should be punished this hard by chasing 1 person.

Though i like the idea of secondary objectives i think it needs to be elaborated on more because its a bit vague on how it would really work, questions arise such as, how many gas cans do you need per gen? is it for every gen? where would the gas cans spawn and how many would be on the map? what happens if you get hooked when you have a can? etc.

And it might get a bit frustrating to look for cans and not find them for a while, killers may also be able to camp them if theres a couple in one area. Though this could actually make the map more useful and may be used regularly so theres that too.

In my opinion i think itd be more fun if it was harder and rare to escape so when you do escape it feels great, rather than escaping being a common occurance and almost guaranteed when you know where hatch is. But i dont know how the devs feel about escaping, seems like they dont want it to be hard whatsoever since they have barely stated anything about making it harder. However they are changing how hatch works which is interesting.

• Tazare

Zaije can you explain how it promotes camping in more detail, as i think it would still be more detrimental to camp when you can go to other gens knowing that you have 30 seconds to do something else but if the killer wants to camp you cant really stop them, though i dont think most killers actually like camping or find it fun, instead i believe that they are forced to when theres like 1 gen left since it would be risky leaving the person on hook to check 3 other gens

Killer mains that i know feel the same way, they dont find it fun to camp. Though i think you are kind of right as 30 seconds is quite a bit of time you could spend waiting for the survivor to go in struggle phase or die, maybe should be reduced to something like 10 seconds or just not add it and instead go with the idea of secondary objectives since im liking that idea more though it still seems unclear how exactly it would work.