DC Penalty comes back only to have hackers still running amok

I got super unlucky tonight an ran into 3 hackers tonight. They run around with flashlights to blind you and then the blind lasts 15 seconds :/ So Are we doing anything about this? I don't record my games and they are always cross-play gamers so I can't even look at their profile.

Anyone Devs/Mods wanna give me an answer because this is a big deal. I shouldn't be forced to play with hackers ruining my games. Granted I'd rather take a 5 minute ban than play with them, But that's punishing the player for something out of their control. Like really?

Comments

• Smurmph
    Smurmph Member Posts: 27

It wasn't a chain blind I'm positive about that. It was one single blind. After being blinded I always look up or down as to not be blinded again. I had another game last month, same flashlight hack, only this was my first experience so I just didn't get it. They had multiple DS and Dead Hards. This was a script kiddie.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

They can only do so much and why should THEY record your gameplay? No other game does that. Its easy to record your gameplay nowadays. If you want something done, then put a little effort into it. Why can't devs just fix bugs that we see? Because you have to SHOW them what is bugged or mention it so they can attempt to fix it. That wouldn't even be appeasable to record hundreds of thousands of games on the off-chance of a cheater.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

Nobody is asking them to record "hundreds of thousands of games", just the ones that generate customer service tickets.

And nobody is asking them to "fix bugs they can't see", I'm saying that if they saved the game data generated by customer service tickets then it would be a win-win. They would always have the game data available for reference if needed when they review the associated ticket and there would be no chance of error on the player making the report either not having a recording app installed or running when they played the game.

Also this isn't just "something I want done", this is for the benefit of Behavior's own customer service policy. It's a policy THEY want to enforce, not just me. It's in their own stated interest to do it.

So it is "feasible" to do this, and would be a very useful asset for both them and the playerbase. Which is why it's irritating that it's not in the game.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

Doesn't a bunch of games record for you? There's csgo, League of Legends, call of duty games, etc.

• AVoiceOfReason

I haven't played those but COD and even when you get cheaters, they request footage. I've had to report it on console when people were using jitter mods. They still require game footage of what you seen or they won't do anything but tell you to record next time.

The amount of people who report players for really stupid reasons is in the thousands. This system wouldn't work in DBD. There are a ton of things that impact gameplay. How could you tell that the server was bugged? Maybe the player was lagging due to the server? Maybe the player got stuck? The survivor was taking the game hostage on purpose? Maybe he just couldn't move? I don't want an automated system to ban me just because someone says they did something and didn't like it.

Same as I said to Dugman. Too many variables to really use that to such a large degree.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

What I described wasn't an automated system. What are you talking about? It was telemetry data that BHVR customer support could scrub through in about 25 seconds to find out the truth.

• AVoiceOfReason

I see the video. I get the basics of it. How is that supposed to tell you if someone was using a script to teleport? What if it was just the server being stupid? With the amount of bugs in the game, using that as sole justification for a ban is problematic. It shows you basic movement of what transpired, I'm guessing? It doesn't show you if something caused something to happen or if it was a bug. Doesn't account of latency for hits. Different connections. What if you got banned for teleporting but in actuality, you lagged forward really hard due to the server just having a mini freak out? What if you down someone but on their screen, you're 10 steps away so you get hit with a ban for cheating? Video can show actually what's going on, what was done at that moment and even give a bit more help to see if its a glitch, bug or hacks. That window bug where you go through it with a map active. How is that supposed to show you what happened correctly? What about the deathslinger and you can't wiggle? There's a reason why video is usually required for reports, even in Call Of Duty and that's a AAA game with microtransactions but they won't process anything without video evidence.

• Xbob42

Ah, you seem to not really understand. The telemetry is based off the server data, not the client data. It doesn't show "basic" movement, it shows every single action and keypress, and the results of those actions and keypresses. Again, in a good game, you can drop that into the game and have it play back the entire match, exactly as the server saw it. Including latency for each player at each moment, if you want to get real granular. Would it take into account bugs? I dunno, maybe. Does a video recorded by a player? Absolutely not. It would be better in every way.

• AVoiceOfReason

Not sure if that still be would a good replacement but I still think video should be required. That's just how I am, though. I like to see if something happened compared to someone telling me something happened. I've been playing this game a long time and I've seen a good amount of people saying someone was hacking and then the other person had video showing the other person just sticking out behind a tree and that's how they got caught. I'm not very trusting of other means of proof. I've seen enough people throw a fit over nothing when it reality, they just suck at the game and just come up with reasons why they lost. I rather just do what they've asked since the game was released, many different ways to record no matter what you're on and leave the rest to whatever team looks at footage. I've come up against only 3 cheaters in DBD and all 3 times, I've had video proof. I don't always agree with people but I do thank you for be respectful. Maybe yours is more accurate but depending on someone to make a decision upon data like the devs have been doing for the nerfs/buffs to killers and the perks, makes me worry about any other system for reports.

• Xbob42

Nothing a video shows would differ greatly from what a server would show. At worst, you'd combine the telemetry of all sources (clients + server) to see where potential discrepancies would lie, I think. I don't make telemetry systems, though, so I don't want to say more than I actually know, so I'll stop there.

• dugman

Who said anything about any "automated system banning you"? I said the game should save the game data for customer support tickets which is entirely possible, even with thousands of tickets. (How large do you think game replay files would be?) Any actual banning or customer service action would be handled by the customer service reps that review the ticket and the replay file. Nobody is advocating people getting banned just because there was a report.

• AVoiceOfReason

Reports are used for bans. Bugs themselves are just reportable on the forums. Cheating needs video proof.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    edited October 2020

Wait cod no longer has theatre mode?!?!? The last cod game I played was black ops. It had theatre mode, which meant the last x games (I don't remember the number) would be autorecorded for you and you could choose to save them to keep for yourself. Edit them too if you wanted.

• AVoiceOfReason

That stopped being a thing after BO3. Black Ops 4 didn't have it. I use to love showing people clips from Theatre mode when people would hack and use invisible characters lol.

• dugman

I agree, that’s why I said that the game should automatically save the game replay data with any customer service ticket, that way the customer service reps always have whatever video replays they need to properly review the complaint.

• AVoiceOfReason

It was more leaned towards the other guy that I was talking to about the same thing. Full video recording would take up too much. I do youtube and a 10 minute video is usually 6 gigs for 1080p. Its why I usually have something recorded even if I don't feel like recording so I use Action Replay to capture the last 20 minutes of gameplay when I didn't feel like doing it. You'd be surprised what you capture when you do. I had to report speed hackers by doing that. If they had the ability to shrink it and not be a huge file, I would be on board but using telemetry to see if someone is hacking or exploiting, I just can't agree with. It'll be too easy to ######### someone over due to a bug.

• dugman

I'm assuming a game replay file wouldn't be literally a video, it would be logs of the actions and data that go back and forth with the dedicated servers that an appropriate replay tool could input and replay out the corresponding game using the same input data. A video would be much larger because it's obviously storing all sorts of extraneous data that normally the game itself is simply calculating.

So to get an idea of the size of a replay file you would want to look at the total amount of data passed back and forth to the dedicated servers during a game because really you're just storing, basically, logs of that data. Whatever size that happens to be, though, I'm confident it's significantly less than the size of the associated 15 minute video you'd record of the corresponding game.

• AVoiceOfReason

Very true but it wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a bug or someone using a script. That's my issue with using anything but video evidence.

• dugman

But a replay file is the effectively same as video evidence. It's just recording the video differently. Instead of saving actual images it's saving instruction that tell a game file what to show on the screen as the game progresses.

And I'm not sure what bug you're thinking of that a customer service rep watching a replay would have a hard time telling if it's someone cheating or not.

• AVoiceOfReason

Taking the game hostage for being stuck on something or purposely standing out of reach. Maybe I'm just getting old but I prefer to send in video evidence. So far, I've ran into 3 speed hackers since I've been playing and all 3 was on video and got taken care of after a week and I'm fine with that. Not trying to stretch the team even thinner.

• dugman

Again, there's no effective difference between a literal video and a replay file that replays the game on demand except for the file size. You'd be able to see speed hackers in a replay the same as you would a video taken of the game.

And nobody is talking about "stretching the team thin". I'd advocating that the game automatically provide the files the team needs when they want to review a complaint. It's for their benefit as much as the player making the complaint.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,209
    edited October 2020

Had the same hack used against me last night. I have over 2300 hrs. It's not a chain blind. Plus, the survivor ran away at Mach 12 when I was about to down them. It's a hack. This game isn't anywhere near stable enough to have a d/c penalty. The cart is so far ahead of the horse on this one. Great, you've reduced d/cs. Your playerbase also sunk like a rock since you re-enabled the penalty. You have to actually address the unfun elements of the game (hacks, client bugs/stability, etc.). THEN you can implement a d/c penalty.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811
    edited October 2020

Unlucky dude. I´ve had the pleasure of not encountering any of those since penaltys are back, at least none that I noticed. I figured the DEVs would have added some sort of anti cheating software to protect their game from stuff like this before bringing back the penalty.

It´s really a shame that in order to detect any form of hacking or cheating BHVR is completely dependant on video proof provided by the "victim". Seriously, there is a lot of room for improvement there.

The penalty itself doesn´t even work properly, since a Fog Whisperer and his friends abused a loophole to bypass it on stream.