What side do you main and why?

Babyyy_Boyy
Babyyy_Boyy Member Posts: 444
edited October 2020 in General Discussions

I main survivor. I think getting chased is the best part of the game and it improves your over all skill. Going for flashlight saves and sabos are also really fun. I also find it funny when the killer gets pissed off when you run them for too long.

Comments

• alex9er
    alex9er Member Posts: 96

both but in general i prefer survivor because it's much more relaxing and looping killers for me is really satisfying

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

I consider my self a Killer main but I play Survivor too. I prefer Killer for the challenge and intensity, if I want to chill I switch to Survivor. Quite nice to have that, actually.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,798
    edited October 2020

I wouldn't say I main either side, but I do play more survivor than killer because I like to play this game with my friends. I enjoy both sides, though, and for different reasons. Killer is more action-packed throughout the match, there's more variety in gameplay, and it's nice having full control of the result instead of having to rely on randos, who will inevitably let you down, or at least until MMR comes back. Survivor has more downtime with all of the gen repair and other bar filling, but it also has the highest highs this game has to offer imo. I agree that going for saves is an absolute blast, and something about making a good play to extend a chase or escape what feels like a certain death is really exhilarating.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

I like both roles but play Survivor a lot more. I usually switch to Killer when I get tired of getting paired up with potatoes or ultra tryhard flashlight clicking follow around the Killer going down in 2 seconds Survivors.

I will always prefer Survivor because I like working with others in video games and I really like playing stealthily against a Killer. I know people hate it, but it still gives me a semblance of fear and horror that I got when I first started playing the game. I also love meme'ing with a Killer and always get a hoot when they meme in return.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I try to play as much of both as I can, but I've been drifting more anr more to survivor just because it's way, way easier and chill.

Although the time of day I play means almost every killer trial has a 3-person SWF (thanks, Steam friend's list), so that may be why.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

Killer cause I don't have friends and the randos ruin the game

• GhostyyBoi
    GhostyyBoi Member Posts: 416
    edited October 2020

I started maining killer so I could relieve my stress by killing those survivors.

Yeah, that didn't work.

But I had a lot of fun with it. I saw builds I could use, all those add ons, all those killers, in them I saw unlimited creative potental. I saw so many ways to play the game differentely. Until my head runs out of ideas, I will stay a killer main.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,149

I usually try to play both to some degree, but right now I'm only playing killer because the bad framerate on PS4 makes survivor unplayable, frames drop and I die, but as killer frames drop and so I can't chase survivors, I go afk, and at the end I still get the full match's worth of XP so it's fine.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

I really want to be a Killer main, I just know I won’t be good at it. Every time I play Killer my anxiety rises and I do horribly.

So I guess you can say I’m a Survivor main because I feel much better having a team. My lack of skill won’t reflect so harshly on the performance of my team if I’m the only bad looper xD

• Uncharted
    Uncharted Member Posts: 136

50/50 player here (currently taking a break though.)

A full pledged Felix and nurse main.

• TragicSolitude

I had that when I first started playing. Hell, sometimes I still get that anxiety depending on the match.

For me, it helped to make goals for myself. Hook every survivor once, manage to get 1 hit immediately after Blinking (not easy on PS4), stuff like that. Also, if I don't use any offerings or add-ons, I feel a lot less pressure. Turning off messages and friend requests (or closing chat) also helps relive some of that pressure.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

Killer.

the story behind it is actually kinda funny:

when i first started to play DbD, i havent had all that much experience in the Horrorgame genre (FNaF games were like the only thing), so i was way too scared to play Survivor and instead stuck to killer, as i didnt have to fear anything there.

i overcame that fear at some point and did play Survivor every now and then, but around that time i also started feeling burned out with DbD, due to all the balancing issues the game had back then, so i went on a multi month break.

the thing that brought me back back then was the release of a new killer, the Doctor. i loved the idea and design of him and i soon became a Doctor main - though at the same time ended up being too scared to play survivor again, due to the Docs face jumpscaring you whenever you tiered up in madness. this fear however did not last long at all, i got over that within like 3 games against him.

ever since ive never really been scared again in this game tbh.

i understood more and more of the mechanics, gained more knowledge on looping and what each specific killer does. however, i could never really get into survivor. the gameplay went from too scary to too boring / frustrating, so i stuck with killer for all these years (doesnt mean i wouldnt play survivor, i have sthg like a 70 / 30 ratio, but killer is simply more appealing and fun to me)

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I couldn't main one side even if I tried, I constantly switch back and forth. Sometimes a few games of killer and then a few as survivor, sometimes weeks "maining" one and then weeks as the other. But I always bounce back and forth as I find both fun and I'm someone that's very well aware of the fact that if I didn't I'd probably burn out and take an extended break.

Same reason I always seek out different things in other games I play. Can be as simple as playing radically different game modes or having binges where I "tryhard" in ranked modes before sticking to more casual ones for a while, keeps things interesting.

• itsaconehead
    itsaconehead Member Posts: 236

Both, but more killer than survivor. Only because I play at night and survivor cue for me is slower than anything during my nighttime.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I play killer more often because then i won't have to deal with megheads as teammates amd i get waaay more bloodpoints,but playing survivor can be quite fun at times too though.

• MargretAtWalmart
    MargretAtWalmart Member Posts: 163

I like survivor because I can be the teams support since contrary to their names, the Doctor and Nurse do NOT heal people. Shocking, isn't it?

• Unicorn
    edited October 2020

I actually learned the hard way to turn off messages and friend requests D;

Lol, but maybe I'll try that although I hope it won't turn into a disappointment party when I don't achieve the said goals I came up with.

Thanks so much for this idea <3

Edit: typo

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

I wouldnt say i main a side, but i played much more survivor and always will i think, but i also play alot of killer.

Well i have weeks where i only play survivor and then i have weeks where i only play killer.

Sometimes i switch every few matches.

• TragicSolitude

Hey man, don't be disappointed if you don't achieve your goals. It's all about improving, and failing is part of that. As you get better, you'll achieve the goals you set and you'll make new, more difficult goals which you won't achieve at first but will as you continue playing.

And yes, I've played a bunch of online games but it is specifically only because of DbD that I had to disable both messages and friend requests. Friendly rivalry is not a thing here, nor are understanding teammates who cut you some slack for being inexperienced at playing survivor.

Anyway, you're most welcome. I do hope this helps you. Playing killer helps you get better at playing survivor, too, so even if you continue to prefer survivor it's worth it to play both sides.

• Unicorn

I can see how getting experience as Killer would help with your experience as Survivor. I guess I gotta just grow to try and actually put effort where needed. You can't get better if you don't try! <3

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826

Survivor! I love cooperating with people and helping others, and outsmarting the killer is always fun!!

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

While I play both sides! I firmly believe that you will always favor one side over the other!

Killer!

Why? I sense more skill in killer, more interactive, and it isn't as boring and brain dead as survivor!

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

When I want to relax this is the last game I play lol

I play both but lean more towards killer because I'm solo most of the time. If friends are on I play swf. If I'm alone I play killer because I hate randoms.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I only play killer

• Survivor has a lot of dull downtime where you're either just working on a gen or dying on the ground or hook. As killer I'm active searching for or chasing survivors the entire game, it's a lot more entertaining.
    • I like to play the game solo and killer is better suited as a solo role.
    • I aesthetically prefer the first person perspective to the third person survivor perspective.
    • The game mechanical differences between the killers are much more significant than the differences between survivors. Survivors are pretty much just the same character with tweaks from perks.
  • LuckySteveMain
    LuckySteveMain Member Posts: 11

Play both cause playing just one gets annoying over time.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

I play both sides because that makes me better at the other side. For example I play survivor the killer pulls a trick that downs me I play killer later and use that trick to get someone myself. I play killer a survivor embarrassed me with a juke move. I play survivor later and use that juke against the killer. That's why it's important to play both sides also to understand both sides frustrations.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

These days, i'm a killer main. I don't have much free time to play both sides. I also have to re-unlock everything I had unlocked for killers again since I moved from ps4 to PC...

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,765

I play both roles but much more survivor these days. This is due to all of the rampant frame/bug issues that harm the experience of being a console killer. Playiing with my friends and making new friends all is great, but man do i miss rollong out my Piggy and spreading jaws... i mean joy across the land.

Joy............ yes joy...

• bgbomb
    bgbomb Member Posts: 434
    edited October 2020

It dependent on what MAIN do you mean.

I play both side.

But I spend much more time on killer.

Because it take me much more time to get red rank as killer than as survivor.

And I want to stay at red rank for both side every month.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

I consider myself a "both sides" player, but I do tend to play killer more often. Though, not so much of late as killer games frustrate me more and more.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

If I'm playing with friends obviously I'm a survivor main (which takes up basically my entire time with the game right now). But if I'm not I'm a "whichever side has acceptable queue times" main.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    edited October 2020

Survivor cuz I just found playing killer stressful. I don't like feeling like I'm reaching against the clock. Sure survivor can be frustrating as hell at times but overall I'd prefer that to feeling a time crunch.

I did recently play a bit of Billy though... I don't like what they did to him. Feels like all they did was nerf the fun part of him but didn't really touch his overall strength. Great for those who are good at killer and try harding. Not so much for not so good killers, like me.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530

Survivor I like working on a team and never like being the ''solo'' team (even tho I play killer a lot when I'm over with the teammates I get)

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378

Play both but lean killer because I find it more engaging.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I'm getting the feeling that you might be a pig main 🤔

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

The only reason I main killer:

Survivors are just skins and none of them are unique, you can play any survivor and have the exact same experience but with each different killer you have something different. If I get bored of a killer I can switch to a different one but if I get bored of survivor the best I can do is change the perks. It's honestly deeply depressing that they designed the game this way and I really wish they hadn't but they aren't going to change it now since they'd have to come up with like 20 different survivor powers and also rebalance all the killers and game mechanics around them. They could do it but they won't. That's the one thing that stops me from wanting to commit to this game more tbh. If survivors were unique like killers I'd be a survivor main to the core (but I'd still play killer some)

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879

Before the ruin nerf i was 90% killer 10% survivor. After i played survivor more like 40% of the time and when they announce the pgtw nerf i mostly swich to survivor like 80% of my game. Now they said they wont touch OoO im not going back to killer at all and i will use OoO a lot more because that perk is so broken the second you have at least 1 friend in your party

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

I play survivor more then killer. I've been trying to play both sides lately. Playing Killer is very challenging and can be unforgiving. some of the things survivors do are very negative and on the survivor side some killers can be negative too when they just focus on one person and face camp hooks. Had a doctor tonight that just hooked me and stood there right next to the hook. Had a wraith block me into a corner and against a gen and uncloaked then hit me when I couldn't go anywhere.

Both sides have their positives and negatives. I do agree that survivor side can be a bit slow since you spend most of your time watching a progress bar and try to hit skill checks, let's not forget the teammates that sandbag you. Playing killer can be annoying too when you get looped and people know how to hide right in front of you.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

I miss days when Pig could quickly spam oinks. Roar spam delay made me quit playing Pig.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

I main Killer.

I'm the sort of person who loves to come up with ideas for off meta loadouts and play styles and see if they work. There's just so much more to work with over on the Killer side. Also if it does or doesn't work, usually it isn't because of something dumb I couldn't have seen coming. It's not like "Oh hey I brought a healing loadout... and... there's plague wells. Well shoot." or "I've gotten instantly tunneled every time I've gotten off the hook." Nah, that particular variety of crap can't happen when you're the one in the Killer seat.

In case you were wondering, my current build in testing is Skillcheck Legion, featuring the newly buffed Huntress Lullaby, with Unnerving Presence, Monitor and Abuse, and BBQ.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2020

I enjoy playing killer. Sometimes I play survivor for challenges.

As survivor I hate to rely on randoms that got used to suicide everytime something going wrong. I hate when randoms camping pallets instead of loop at least once or gain distance. I hate when randoms can't find a gen and urban-evading in corner while not even being in terror radius. I don't mind if you get downed in 10 seconds. At least you learning. But when you suicide, wasting pallets or hiding without reason, you are not doing anything to improve and help your teammates in future. I hate to see this.

Killer side doesn't require you to rely on someone else.

• DTJObe
    DTJObe Member Posts: 170

I've played both. I do my dailies, and I fill out my rift. However, I main killer. There are so many killers to choose from, so the gameplay can always be made to hold my interest with meme builds, etc.

Survivor is too boring, repetitive, and dependent on strangers (I don't believe in SWF because fairness and decency) to be entertaining for me. Maybe it's just my ADD, though.

• HungTop
    HungTop Member Posts: 46

survivor because i like playing with friends