We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Devs don't want to give us a Fov slider, but people stretch their res.. what about console?

I need to remind you there is a crossplay dear devs, people already increase their fov, by changing res settings.. why don't give already a fov slider to everyone so also for us console players, especially with not optimized frames? i know your reason behind ''it's a feature'', so either remove stretched or give us a slider, console players rise up!

nb: i know it's not that big of a deal, but it's first for equality, then for people who get motion sickness, play nurse, or just want an higher fov because it helps with frame drops.

Comments

• lunaticlifter
    lunaticlifter Member Posts: 426

well they did increase the fov, i don't know if they wrote something about in the patch notes, i tried playing nurse without shadowborn today, and it felt good.. but the problem is still there

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

You can do it on console too actually. No idea how, or even if it's a console setting or if it's monitor/TV specific thing but it's possible.

• Terratoast
    Terratoast Member Posts: 126

There shouldn't be a FoV slider, but what Dbd should have is a locked 16:9 aspect ratio and allow the user to change between 16:9 resolutions in the options.

I've got a ultra-wide monitor and I have to manually change my resolution back down to 1920:1080 outside of the game so I don't gimp myself on the vertical FoV since Dbd only seems to care about horizontal FoV and stretches the vertical FoV to accommodate. For more square resolutions this is an advantage. For ultra-wides this is a disadvantage.

• forthelulz
    forthelulz Member Posts: 306

You could buy and use a 3:2 or 4:3 monitor you'll see the same thing.

But since they seem to be almost done rewritting the whole damn game and have allowed win 10 + d/x 11's version of exclusive fullscreen I would imagine there will be proper settings menu soonish too once they get the servers side hit detection working and sort out all the issues that come from switching from borderless to fullscreen...

A good example is right now if you use fullscreenmode=0 the game will actually use the values:

ResolutionSizeX=

ResolutionSizeY=

Whereas before 4.2.0 only borderless fullscreen could be used, so those values were completely ignored and only the current desktop resolution mattered, but now if you manually switch yourself to =0 those values matter and if they're weird it'll make weird things happen lol

• forthelulz

That's exactly why trying to force locked aspect-ratios sucks and is/was a bad idea.

In this game on a 16:9 monitor, 16:9 looks and feels terrible.

I remember first starting this game in 2016 and saying "#########" about the resolution and the lack of video settings and then vsync being on by default so after less than I minute I shut it down so I could figure out how to turn fix all that crap, and make it look normal because 16:9 is just so silly looking and clunky. 8:5 is better but still a little "meh". 3:2 I like the most and I think 4:3 should be the max.

• Jed
    Jed Member Posts: 254

Hehe yeah I'm in the same boat but I refuse to go back to 1080p on my ultrawide monitor. So I just suck it up and play at a disadvantage. But there's talk of DBD getting a graphics update for the next generation of consoles and adding features like ray tracing. If that happens then I expect widescreen support.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

TV settings allows you to change how wide the screen is, however it only works on one of the settings, the "Cinema" setting I believe will instead zoom into the middle of the screen

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

FYI Behaviour commented a while back that they consider stretching the vertical res to be able to see over objects to be cheating. Which it is. Just because people aren’t caught dong it doesn’t make legal or not a game breaker. I’d be surprised if one of their priorities isn’t figuring out how to clamp down on it, maybe by locking down possible aspect ratios within a certain range (i.e. ratios near 4/3 are ok but near 1/1 aren’t) .

• DCash
    DCash Member Posts: 170

They won't add an fov slider. It is a core design choice. You can increase your fov if you want with the perk shadowborn. That perk was added for the people complaining about an fov slider. They did this to ensure that everyone is getting the same experience when playing.

If they haven't added it in 4 years for the PC players... Do you actually think they will put it in for console?? No.

• Thatgurl_again
    Thatgurl_again Member Posts: 287

As a survivor main I can agree. Something needs to be done

• AlexisFox
    AlexisFox Member Posts: 127

Stretching resolution and changing field of view are NOT the same thing. Changing fov affects how much you can see. Stretching resolution does NOT affect how much you see it just extends the pixel information to the surrounding pixels making your 720 image fit a 1080 screen. This results in a blurry image that is faster to render but it is the SAME image just using less pixel data. There is no inherent advantage to doing this as the only reason to do it is when you are already at a framerate disadvantage and you are correcting it to be at the intended framerate for the game.

• dugman

That not true for vertical resolution in this game. The reason some players change their aspect ratio to 1:1 is specifically because it extends how far they see vertically over obstacles.

• AlexisFox
    AlexisFox Member Posts: 127

That's just stupid. If it's someone playing killer having more vertical won't let you see over stuff because you still have the same first person camera position. If it's a survivor getting more vertical resolution also doesn't help you see over things you normally couldn't see over because your camera position is still locked to a set distance from you with a set pivot point. You won't be able to pivot in any meaningful way to see behind an obstacle you already can't see over you'll just see more sky over the object and more ground beneath your feet at the cost of something actually useful, being able to see around corners without exposing yourself.

• dugman

You’re wrong about it not allowing survivors to see over objects. Below is a video with side by side comparisons of normal resolution versus stretched custom 1080x1080 resolution. You can easily see over things in the stretched res shots that you can’t in the normal shots from the same position. It gives a huge advantage at those loops because they become unmindgamable for the killer.

• dugman

Looks like my link is busted, let’s try this

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 205
  • forthelulz

True is not very smart, and was fooled into thinking what he was looking at was accurate when it wasn't, and therefore made that video.

If you use a normal well known aspect ratio (8:5 / 5:4 / 4:3 / 3:2) the "advantage" is so slight it doesn't matter. If using 1:1 then yeah there is an advantage but the entire game looks terrible and the disadvantages far outweigh the advantage but I still agree that 1:1 shouldn't work.

But normal aspect-ratios such as the 4 I mentioned are fine.

It takes literally seconds to try any of the aspect ratios I mentioned as well as 1:1 to see for yourself. Too bad True couldn't be bothered to do the same himself.

• forthelulz

Also the fact that they've almost finished re-writing the entire game and have now allowed fullscreenmode=0 means that very soon we will have actual graphical settings available, as well as they'll fix things like 1:1 aspect ratios.

For normal aspect ratios such as (8:5 / 5:4 / 4:3 / 3:2) those will still work the same because they show the exact same thing that you would see if you had a monitor with that aspect ratio.

• dugman

Nobody is complaining about normal aspect ratios, the complaint has always been about people intentionally using 1:1 ratios to be able to see over objects. And it’s not just Tru saying it’s cheating, Behaviour also commented that they consider it cheating as well. It’s just unfortunately something that is probably technically difficult for them to stop.

• dugman

P.S. here’s a game of someone playing in 1080x1080. There are definitely points where the survivor can see over walls they normally can’t.

• forthelulz

Ahh ok I understand better now.

Thought the part about BHVR saying it was cheating I'd like to see a link because so far I've only see Not_Queen muttering once about that it was cheating, no offical statement at all. Also if they thought it was cheating why aren't they banning for it, they can easily tell who's doing it and who's not.

It's not hard at all to stop it from being used, this is barely over high school level computer programming type stuff.

• forthelulz

Thanks for making that, always nice to have a clear video detailing issues. :) I also agree completely that it should be considered cheating.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,973

I really wish they do a fov slider honest to God dead by daylight is the only game in existence where fov is attached to a perk

• dugman

Not_Queen’s posts are official, she’s the lead community manager.