Tinkerer buff was too much?

Options
TheMonadoBoi
TheMonadoBoi Member Posts: 345
edited November 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Tbh I think they went a bit overboard with Tinkerer now. Used to be useless and now it's just annoying as hell for all the wrong reasons.

However I don't think this perk will ever reach "balance" since buff it more and billy, blight, etc basically become stealth killers on crack and nerf it and slow killers can't even get close to the gen before it pops.

Am I alone in thinking it would be better if it activated at 80%?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554
    Options

I'd say it's at a good point, it's not totally useless on 110 killers, and it's not a wasted perk slot on the regular killers.

Plus tinkerer can be (somewhat) countered by working on a gen in an open area to see the killer coming. And having two people work on a gen to finish it before the killer arrives.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,432
    Options

It's barely at the decent level on a few specific killers with it still being mediocre on most the roster. it definitely doesn't need nerfs. I'd be closer to buffing it before nerfing it if we were forcing a change.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,621
    Options

Tinkerer is only a problem when paired with Ruin/Undying. Undying helps that Ruin stays up longer and Ruin provides the Regression. And with Tinkerer, you dont even need to be good at the game to utilize it, you can be bad in a chase, as long as you are able to burn some ressources and head to a Gen which is reaching 70%, you get your regression.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Tinkerer is okay. It's at its most ridiculous when paired with Ruin, or Stealth Billy, but other than that it's not overly fantastic.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,338
    Options

Tinkerer is only super oppressive on high mobility killers with Ruin. Even then, there's still ways to play around it with some minor coordination.

Once the bones are done, Tinkerer becomes a lot less nasty.

• OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495
    Options

Stop. This is a horror game. Silly goose

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

Rewards the other side for doing the objective. Yeah, it's wrong. I hate the perk.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

It's not a problem. The killer is sacrificing 3 slot perks which that means that he will not have the other op builds like: spirit fury + enduring. Also with that being said, the killer except that has only 1 slot to sacrifice and he will most likely choose it for BBQ. There you go: no bamboozle, no noed, no pop, no corrupt. Have fun.

• Aven_Fallen
    Options

You dont need Corrupt or PGTW when you have Ruin/Undying anyway. Let alone that NOED is completely counter-productive with Ruin/Undying.

You are sacrificing 3 Perk Slots for basically not needing to learn how to chase, as long as you are playing a high-mobility Killer who can scare the players off Gens. When I used this Build on Blight when I prestiged him from P2 to P3 (I got really lucky with the Bloodweb, even if the Perks were not all on Tier 3), I won every game. Like 15 out of 16 were 4Ks, the last one was a Hatch Escape. And Blight is one of the hard Killers to learn and I am not good at Killer in general. I just got carried by the Build.

So despite sacrificing 3 Perk Slots, you get a Build which can carry you, even if you are not that good.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    edited November 2020
    Options

Well, DS + Unbreakable and Soul guard can also carry you for free. For the counter of tinkerer with ruin and undying I suggest to fix gens seperately. Killer can't pressure 2/3 gens at once.

• Aven_Fallen
    edited November 2020
    Options

So, your counter is whataboutism?

But just to compare those two: Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer and DS/Unbreakable/Soul Guard probably have one thing in common - the Perk in question is not that strong on its own, but gets strong in combination, while the problem is another Perk.

So Soul Guard and Tinkerer are compareable. Soul Guard on its own is fine, but can be strong when paired with Unbreakable (and DS). Tinkerer in itself is fine as well, but becomes problematic (at least in my opinion) with Ruin/Undying.

The problematic Perk with DS/UB/Soul Guard is Unbreakable IMO, because it is not really well-designed. 9/10 times it does not get used, but the one time it does get used, it can be a gamechanger.

And the problematic Perk with Ruin/Undying/Tinkerer is Undying. It allows Ruin to stay up for a longer time than usual (also provides a good bunch of information with the Aura Read). The good thing about new Ruin was that it mainly benefits good Players, because those have the ability to apply pressure. But with Undying it stays longer and with Tinkerer, they have a big "Go there"-Arrow on the Map.

I hope my reasoning makes sense.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

If they can't chase they're probably not downing fast enough. If they're chasing 1 survivor off a gen with ruin for 30 seconds the gen only lost 15 seconds while there are 3 other gens being completed. If the killer is as no skill as you're saying and constantly dropping chases, the survivors are going to beat out the killer regardless. Now that doesn't work out in solo queue sadly but it's not because the killer is no skill. It's cuz solo queue has ppl at varying levels of skill and ppl can't even loop.

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720
    Options

It's pretty clear the developers are balancing killers around survivors running meta perks. Pyramid head is a glaring example. If you are not going into the games with the latest meta perks that's your own fault; because tons of people are.

Pop was nerfed right as ruin undying came out, and around the same time soul guard magically comes out. Make up your own opinions about that.

• Aven_Fallen
    Options

I would not see any conjunctions between that. BHVR is quite slow with changes, in fact, changing the Silent Hill-Perks so fast was an exception. So they most likely wanted to change PGTW for quite a long time but either feared the backlash of it (which was certainly lower, because with Ruin/Undying there was an alternative) or they just did not want to change it that soon after it got buffed.

But, as with your line of thought, this is pure speculation. You can indeed be correct, but we will never know.

I can only bring in my own experience, and I simply know that I am not good enough to get 15 4Ks out of 16 games. So either I got carried by the Build or I had Potatoes for 16 games in a row. And I think the first option is more realistic.

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720
    Options

I call it like I see it. Instant medkits were nerfed. A few months later, added back into the game as a Zarina perk. Toolboxes nerfed, a couple months later, added back into the game through a Felix perk. It's just a way to get you to buy things. Nothing wrong with it, but at least I recognize it's going on.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

Oh I can believe that you ran into 16 potatoes in a row.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Tinkerer is one of those perks that I would prefer as a dynamic effect (changing based on how many survivors are still alive).

If I was to change anything about it, I would simply have it's activation be delayed by 10% repair progression for every survivor sacrificed (ie it would activate at 80% with 3 survivors remaining, 90% with 2, etc).

Not something I'd consider a high-priority change like reworking keys/mori's and improving map designs, but it's my two-cents on what I'd like to see done with Tinkerer (and a variety of other perks).

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options
  • MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

So having a completely silent billy suddenly appear right next to you isn't a thing and doesn't work? Then why does it work so well for and against me?

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,600
    Options

I don't know but I know how you feel. Despite people saying Ghost Face and Meyers are low tier, I always bring Spine Chill because of them. The thing is Hillbilly should be using his chainsaw as much as he can, and if he's not because he needs to get use out of stealth, he's kind of being inefficient for the sake of what is essentially a meme build. Just run Spine Chill and a killer will almost never sneak up on you.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Once you know tinkerer is in play the survivors are supposed to be smarter about which gens they’re on, and repair on the sides that give the most visibility to see when the killer is coming.

• OtakaChan
    OtakaChan Member Posts: 181
    Options

I'm in red ranks and so far almost every killer I face uses tinkerer lol. So I always just assume as soon as my genny hits 70% its time to move let the killer hit the genny get distracted and then continue when he's in a chase. Or I try to find another survivor and let prove thyself kick in.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Tinkerer is fine.

I felt it was a bit strong immediately following the buff, however having faced killer after killer using the perk, I’ve gotten accustomed to playing on guard for it, almost expecting everyone to have it.

I’ve faced Hags and Nurses with tinkerer and thought it was silly... but when GF and Myers are using it in matches, I know it’s faaar to frequent to not anticipate facing nearly every match.

I’m a better player now, since making the necessary adjustment, imo.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    Options

Tinkerer is perfectly fine. It's only problematic on killers with map mobility and ruin imo.

Nothing feels worse than bringing it over 70% and the killer just instantly starts Freddy teleporting or Blight rushing to your gen and then it drops back below 70% passively thanks to ruin/undying.

• BDS22
    BDS22 Member Posts: 146
    Options

I think it's fine, however my only gripe is there is no way to counter the notification killer gets. It then becomes annoying as a solo survivor, so I'm hoping someday they come out with a perk to counter it. Because on Freddy, Oni, Blight, Nurse, Billy (etc) it can become problematic, especially when those killers run it with undying/ruin.

• Aztreonam78
    Aztreonam78 Member Posts: 1,131
    Options

Tinkerer should not give Killers Stealth after all 5 gens are completed.

Currently it does, which does not fit into the perk design where it meant to stop gens from being done, not to do stuff in the late game stage.

• Chinanumawaaan
    Chinanumawaaan Member Posts: 131
    edited November 2020
    Options

I think you just summarised DS, Kindred and BT

Plus Tinkerer is easily bait-able. At 70% gen completion you'll work it out pretty fast after the first time.