I never fully understood the concept of "Obsession"

Shenanigan
Shenanigan Member Posts: 208
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

^ Title

But yeah I'm assuming it became a thing when Micheal and Laurie came out, I was just never entirely sure what its purpose was in matches with no obsession perks, yeah there's more bp if you die or survive, but does it make you or the killer do anything different than they would in a normal match?

I'm most likely reading into this WAAAY to much, but playing the game for a year and a half I never really knew (or at least unsure) if I should be worried about being the obsession or not

Comments

• Malum_Midnight
    Malum_Midnight Member Posts: 366

If there’s an obsession now, killers are wary. They’ll think about the possibility that everyone could have DS

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

lel

But seriously, it's one of the only obsession perks in the game that doesn't come with a downside or need to play around a mechanic that empowers the opponent. It kinda defeats the point of it being an obsession perk. The more I think about that, the more I kinda wonder "for why?"

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

" I was just never entirely sure what its purpose was in matches with no obsession perks"

If there are no obsession perks in play then no one is the obsession.

Unless that one Key add-on creates an obsession. I never use it so I'm not sure. 🤷

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I think Obsession mechanic should inprove a bit.

There is always a ran Survivor starts as Obsession (even without Obsession perks from both side)

When Exit gates powered, give Obsession ability to stun Killer longer 15% longer for every other survivor died (up to 45%), in return Killer can Mori obsession when down

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,823

I never understood why I get a score event for dying when I'm the obsession.

• BugsGalore
    BugsGalore Member Posts: 57

The obsession mechanic released with the halloween chapter, the entire point of it was to allow for perks influenced by mechanics.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

@Shenanigan What the Obsession mechanic is:

A special interaction between one survivor and the killer. Being the Obsession always means you should have heightened awareness when near the killer and might mean that when given the choice between you and another survivor, the killer will attack the other survivor. If you're the Obsession, you should always expect the killer to think of you differently. As an Obsession, you should be more powerful while potentially having a greater weakness.

Note: this has been muddled by the devs for the worse imo (For The People, Nemesis, Rancor, Blood Pact etc.). Note also that survivor-survivor perks shouldn't piggyback on the Obsession mechanic and weigh it down.

Bloodpoints were an afterthought and so was everyone knowing who the Obsession is (still not entirely (i.e. 95%) sold on this decision).

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

It was introduced into the game with the Halloween chapter because thematically Myers IS in fact obsessed with Laurie.

It was meant to borne a greater dynamic between killer and survivor, with a weird symbiotic yet also risky/dangerous relationship.

However since then it was noticed how some of the original Obsession mechanics could be highly abused or just plain un-fun for survivor, mostly by killer when THEY were running certain Obsession perks. So it’s since evolved to be a bit more murky, and gives the killer far less power and information than it previously did.

• Shenanigan

Ahhh ok I see, it's just normally a small thing that tends to mix things up a bit, but depending on who's using what perks it'll decide what happens to you during the match. (as either side)

• Shenanigan

Ahhh I get that, but then you can still be the obsession even without caring an Obsession-based perk bev

Ahh I guess there was a bit more to the obsession mechanic back then compared to now, I always thought it was just some roulette thing out of random even without perks so you can earn more bp

• Shenanigan

I just the assumed that the game would just pick a player out of random like a roulette thing to get a little bit more bp

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

It can randomly pick targets, though some perks used by Survivors will increase their chances of becoming the obsession.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

It's weird that an obsession should be something that killer uses to dictate parts of a match, but in reality it's 99% of the time just a DS warning. What a waste of a mechanic.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

The obsession mechanic is a way of buffing one survivor for no apparent reason by making it more profitable to keep them alive and leave them alone if the killer is running an Obsession perk, rather than the debuff the Devs seem to think it is.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

I run STBFL and have no problems with hooking the obsession as I know they'll inevitably be rescued for me to continue building tokens.

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825

obsession:

is a survivor that spawns with the entity tendrils on both side of their icon on the bottom of the screen( if spawned by killer it is random if there is an obsessions survivor perk it will skew the odds)

its spawn mechanics are linked to perk choices of players in the match, with survivor perks telling you if they will increase or decrease your chance to be the obsession. most of the perks are related to the shape's dlc with all of shape's personal perks spawning an obsession. At least 2 of Laurie's perks spawn an obsessions: OoO and DS. i cant think of any other survivor perks that spawn an obsession there are a few more killer perks that spawn it: rancor and remember me come to mind.

it gives more points for end results like you said

if the obsession is being chased the tendrils will start moving on the icon that spawned at the start of the game. this is visible to everyone killer and survivor alike. it may let survivor know they are free to work on gens or that a kill will lose or gain stacks if they pursue this chase.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

I don't understand there not being an obsession. There are two kinds of killers in no obsession matches. Killers that tunnel immediately and killers that tunnel when 2 or 3 gens pop. Having no obsession in matches just encourages more survivors using ds to avoid this boring no obsession matches.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

There usually isnt a downside to survivor obsession perks outside of OoO. Most killer ones encourage you to let your obsession live as long as possible to reap the rewards. You're safe as the obsession than anyone else in situations where it would actually matter.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    edited November 2020

Agreed. I've said before that I have a rule about not hooking the same survivor twice within a short amount of time. DS active or not.

But from my experience a good 95% of killers will tunnel one survivor straight out of the game when theres no obsession. And the usual excuse of "But I HAVE to, gens are too fast" doesn't stand when almost every killer at all ranks is running undying and ruin together nowadays. Gens are going fast because you aren't comitting to pressure. I assume its the killers that are obsessed with getting the 4K above all else, even enjoyment of the game.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

I remember the abuseable ones as 2/3 of the cast: DS, (OoO can still be a problem in many scenarios), Dying Light (would be cool if it was a speed reduction for survivors not near the Obsession, encouraging the killer to chase the Obsession away from objectives repeatedly), and STBFL (because of the Unrelenting combination with it).

I enjoyed the mechanic more when it wasn't nearly as muddled and somewhat meaningless as it is now, and I wish the devs would work on finding ways to give that uniqueness back.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I’d like to see more killer Obsession perks that give a meaningful/usable benefit for specifically targeting the Obsession yet encourages the killer to keep the Obsession alive to deter outright un fun tunnelling. Anything that makes the survivors use an Obsession perk (such as DS) a more considered and more risky.

Dark Devotion is a decent example. It’s always worth switching targets any time the Obsession is spotted and frequently hassle them (or slug them) for the advantage it gives the killer against the other survivors. But the killer is highly encouraged to kill the a Obsession absolutely last to maximise the benefits the perk provides

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,122

Due to skill check lag, right? I play on console so I miss that "easy" skill check all the time.