Basement Bubba is the ultimate test of altruism

AmbulanceParty
AmbulanceParty Member Posts: 9
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

Through the thousands of hours I've played DBD, starting as survivor main and eventually playing killer often, there's a few "memes" within the game. One that most know is Basement Bubba.

For those who don't, it's essentially Leatherface with Insidious protecting his basement or chest until a survivor runs down for the chest. If they make it, they make it and if not, they don't, but Bubba doesn't leave the basement.

Something I think breaks from the immersion and sometimes common sense of a normal match is when, usually at the end of the game, the rest of the survivors will try their best to rescue the 1 survivor on hook, no matter how dangerous it is. More often than not, in my experience, this leads to at least one more being hooked and dying. I think too often survivors take that chance to save everyone for the ace escape rather than realizing when it's too late and cutting loose. Granted, there are times where it may be safe, but often survivors are too altruistic.

I feel like, although not entirely serious or tryhard, the joke of Basement Bubba is the real test of this idea. Most survivors know what is happening; the unaware may die, the brave may help get them out, the smart ones don't dare go down, and sometimes...not everyone escapes.