New player: Why is matchmaking so horrible?

Im pretty new to the game, (only have about 30ish hours) but it is kind of insane the matches I am being set up with. I main huntress who is already a hard killer as is but I keep getting put against reds and purples and I just hit 16. This is insane as I am able to get two hooks max as they usually rush gens and flashlight spam me anytime I attempt to throw. It is kind of hard for me to get better at the game when this is all I get. Is this just how matchmaking is like once you get out of 20?

Comments

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Yeah,this happens very often unfortunately.

The devs are working on a new MMR right now so hopefully that will fix this issue

• Bumbus
    Bumbus Member Posts: 600

Yep, it looks the same on rank 4. Matchmaking sucks right now, wait for MMR to be implemented.

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617

Matchmaking has always been horrendous. Not sure if mmr is really going to make it better.

I would recommend putting in lots of hours with m1 killers to get really good at chasing basics and mindgaming before settling in to main someone like huntress. Being forced to progress chases "naturally" will improve your game in every direction. I can't really say 100% that mining huntress will hold you back by virtue of having projectiles to cover for poor chase production, but it's a risk.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2020

Yeah, it's real bad depending on what day/time you are queuing.

IMHO, there is an extreme drought of High Rank killers in DBD that play in North America during weekday evenings on PC... so they'll frequently throw any killer who queues up against Red Ranked Survivors who've been waiting 5-10 minutes.

My killer queues are pretty much instant in the evenings during the weekday. Only time I wait is weekends. The trade off is if you wait, the matches are usually a little closer to your rank, not that it matters a whole heck of a lot.

• Darkskies
    Darkskies Member Posts: 1,158

Oh my @cyeblinn that's not healthy or good at all. Really this shouldn't be happening and I am so sorry you are not getting time to learn and ease your way into harder games.

I am deeply sorry that you are dealing with this.

Yeah hit the nail on the head with this also totally agree! I really don't understand why protecting new players was removed and they allowed the whole SWF rank abusing back also 😒🐷

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

My guess is there is not enough killers at certain time periods/areas.

• Origanum
    Origanum Member Posts: 10

Matchmaking has been really bad last couple of days. My killer rank is between 2-4, and this week I have been getting matches with Survivors around the Rank 10 range. It goes both ways I guess with the bad matchmaking.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,596

Not necessarily too few killers, might also be an abundance of yellow / brown ranked survivors, so yellow ranked killers get better survivors so they can play at all. Maybe it was a 4-man swf as well.

• JoByDaylight
    JoByDaylight Member Posts: 707

I started playing this game in February and I can totally relate to this. I got my hopes up when the MMR system was released in May/June but it turns out it wasn't ready. The developers have said that the new MMR system are being worked on and I hope they fixed all the issues from the last time.

It will get better for you eventually. Just work on your game knowledge, time management and basic skills. Watching streamers really helped me as well.

This kind of matchmaking might never go away though, because the SWF lobbies will have different ranks.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

That's not how that works.

If there were too many survivors of lower ranks then the lower rank killers would be getting survivors of their rank more often not less.

Having too many low rank survivors drags the average rank in a game down not up.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Basicly, the developer prioritize queue times over game balance, especially if it comes to swf.

First, if you search for a match, you search within a certain rank range. IF no match is found within that range within a certain time, the rank range is extended, and you search again. So, if you are a red rank survivor, and no red rank killers are availible, you also search the green ranks, and lastly, all ranks.

SWF is a different think too, since 3 rank 1 can hook up with a rank20 (that was a thing for a long time, because it would search for a killer based on the average rank, that then could be bullied by the superior surivvors). I know matchmaking was changed several time, so i dont know what metric is used to match SWF at the moment. Could still/again be the average.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,596

I wrote the opposite. If there are too few low rank survivors, a low rank killer might get higher ranked survivor lobbies.

• RepostRiposte
    RepostRiposte Member Posts: 793

The achievement for reaching rank 5 as killer is rarer than the achievement for reaching rank 1 as survivor.

There simply aren't enough good killers so the matchmaking throws newbies to the wolves.

• Izy
    Izy Member Posts: 27

Lots of SWF groups where 2 are high rank and 2 are low rank will give the impression that matchmaking is broken.

I've been on both sides of this and the hope is that we get a killer that matches our best players. It doesn't always happen.

The new bloods get a better chance to learn their limits but the killer suffers.

One good thing to learn as an early killer is when to abandon a chase. I can't recommended that enough. Focus the weaker survivors and the red ranks will throw themselves in your way so that their newbie friends can get out.