Swinging Early

Options

I mainly play survivor, but I do play killer on occasion when I'm bored. I sit in green ranks as killer, and I've got a horrible habit of swinging Early and missing the survivors. Did anyone else struggle with this? I'm usually stressed about letting a chase drag on too long, so I'll lunge to hit them and miss completely, or they'll spin me and I'll miss my hit. Any tips on how to stop this?

I know, it's ez, just stop swinging Early 4head, but something in my brain tells me I have to hit them fast or else they'll get away and the gens will all pop magically and they'll think I'm an idiot. How do you guys judge whether or not to swing? Do you wait until you're right up on them? What do you do when a survivor 360s you? I always swing and usuuually miss. The moments I don't miss are what makes me swing in the other instances.

Comments

• Tubby_Squirrel
    Tubby_Squirrel Member Posts: 244
    Options

I ran Unrelenting until I got better at hitting the first swing. Its not a strong perk by any means and should be replaced asap, but it is a good set of training wheels.

Keep in mind also that your base movment speed is faster. (Unless you're nurse) So a lot of the time you can choose when to stop the chase. A lot of the time if I think they're gonna 360 I spin with my hit. idk if that actully moves the hit box but I seem to get people.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

It takes time and repetition to get a feel for when to swing. The depth perception will come naturally over time. For 360s, I have my mouse DPI set at 4000 and have the in-game sensitivity maxed. Regardless of your platform, always pay attention to where the survivor is looking. It will almost always clue you in as to what they're about to do. If they're looking back at you, it's usually a Dead Hard or 360 attempt as you close in.

• UnbeatableAsh
    UnbeatableAsh Member Posts: 101
    Options

Hey, for what it's worth, I didn't know lunges existed for like a couple hundred hours.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

It's pretty common for less experienced killer; the best advice one can give to avoid this is to say 'be as patient as possible'

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330
    Options

It was part of the training, if you can win without lunges, you can win with them even harder.

• Thelgow
    Thelgow Member Posts: 4
    Options

Oof. My first month playing, 80 hours maybe I was rank 7 for both survivor and killer and I knew this.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    Options

after playing a lot of killer and always lunging you figure out the max distance you can land a hit.

don't worry and keep practising as being able to do lunges at max distance lands you a lot more hits at loops.

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422
    Options

It's about getting the feeling of killer and being able to tell when is a good time to lunge. If you have a survivor who spins a lot or tries to move around and make you miss, just wait and stand there. When they stop spinning then it's a good time to lunge.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

When I started playing Killer I didn't know what Scratch Marks are...

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

It’s best to avoid lunging except when you’re certain a survivor is going for a vault, or attempting to trade hits at a pallet.

A lunge has a smaller hit box, meaning it’s easier for a survivor to dodge. Best to patiently wait that extra second or two to close enough distance to do a basic swing, as that has a much larger hit box that’s almost impossible for a survivor to avoid.