To people who buy cosmetics or the premium rift.

Zagrid
Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

Why?

What was good enough to make you spend the money on it. And if you are willing how much have you spent on cosmetics in total?

I'm curious because it seems that BHVR keeps adding more and more cosmetics but I have only bought 1 and have gotten 1 battle pass in the past.

Comments

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    edited November 2020

When it comes to cosmetics I probably spent about £70 - 140 or maybe more.

Honestly not the most I've spent on a game.

As for why the Rift usually I play the game enough so I can easily complete it so it's never really been too much for problem I get to 70 on most of them before purchasing it so there's no harm in really buying it.

Post edited by Volfawott on
  • Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Actually, I don't give a hoot about cosmetics. I don't normally buy anything but the odd DLC if I like it. I think the fascination with cosmetics is kind of weird, but to each their own. I did, however, buy the most recent premium pass simply to support the company. All the ranting and raving by people complaining about the Halloween event, saying how horrible the company is for this and that inspired me to give my quiet support to it. By my count, by the end of the it I will have enough Auric cells to just buy the next one, and when that finishes, the next one after that. As far as a one time buy, it doesn't seem that bad to me.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Because it gives me something to look forward to such as earning different outfits while playing the game.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,763

I have the rift because it cost me nothing aside from the original 1k. I've hit tier 70 on all rifts except the first, and that's the only one I didn't buy. Plus, they give me David skins (sometimes).

I have cosmetics because I think they look cool. And because David. One day I want to own every single David cosmetic.

I've easily spent £150+ on this game and if they release another skin I like then I will buy it.

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417

Most of the skins are worth it. Some of the "legendary" skins are a joke but aside from that if you're gonna be spending time playing the game then there's nothing wrong with dropping some cash for skins that you like and get to keep forever after you buy them. In total for skins I'm estimating that I've spent maybe about a little over $100 on skins alone. Nothing wrong with it since Dbd is my most played game. Or maybe there is. Mayyybe I'm just terrible with money. Idk. No regrets though.

• nina1121
    nina1121 Member Posts: 127

I mainly buy it with shards and if there's something I really like that's purchaseable with aurics only if will gladly buy it after all that's what keeps the game mostly alive and game would be ######### if everyone had default skins

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I play the game enough that I only payed for the premium track 1 time and now it will be free for me forever. The deals don't get much better than that. Absolutely worth.

Now if you didn't play a lot I could see it not being worth.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710
    edited November 2020

i got 1K auric cells for rift and am constantly hitting 70, so I don’t pay more for it and re-earn them.

I bought Stranger things and Silent hill chapters on Steam, other licensed chars I got each for 250 cells. Had spare cells for one of the Cheryl tops.

other than those I only buy DLC chars and other cosmetics with shards.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,160

I bought cosmetics because I wanted to support them. I stopped buying cosmetics because while I was putting money into supporting them I wasn't seeing it go towards improving the current console issues on top of the game bugs just increasing. One response for the current gen issues is to "buy next gen console" if I want a 4 year old game to run properly. If I need a next gen console then my money needs to be saved up for that new console, not go towards cosmetics in a game that won't improve performance on the system I currently play on.

I bought the premium pass for rift 1 because they said it'd be easy peasy to get through without grinding. The grind sucked, I made it to tier 70 so earned back my money but I considered not buying rift 2. Rift 2 they cut the grind so I bought the premium after the first level of the tome and earned back my money without having to grind so much. Since rift 2 wasn't bad I immediately bought rift 3 and made it through to 70 again without a grind. Rift 4 I bought at the start since rift 2 and 3 didn't feel like a grind... But rift 4 was a grind similar to 1 and I regretted buying it, forced myself to grind to 70 to get my money back. Rift 5 I haven't bought and I'm glad I didn't with how much worse the grind has become.

• JinSime
    JinSime Member Posts: 405

I bought one rift once because I like the cosmetics that came along with it. But I couldn't even complete it in time, so I won't buy anymore. As for cosmetics, I bought 2 outfits for Min and 1 for Dwight using auric cells. I don't regret it, because it makes me feel like playing an unique character, but they also suffice me, so I probably won't be buying again anytime soon. And... oh well, I like looking cute.

• M4dBoOmr
    M4dBoOmr Member Posts: 598

I usually spend money on things I like ;)

• Alcinius
    Alcinius Member Posts: 14

I bought Felix and his killer, Silver Dress Claudette, Cheryl and her Nurse outfit, i bought Stranger things chapter and i bought Man Evil or something, Kate and her Golden Dress outfit, Felix's his Germany outfit. That's pretty much it.

I never buy Killer outfits since i cant see them myself. I waste maybe 10 euros every month on the game because i like buying things Hahahahaah especially if they look cool.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Over the years of playing DBD I've spent exactly 165 euros on Auric cells only, not metioning chapters or the base game. If I like some cosmetic I'll buy it just because I find it cool looking, same goes for the rift, why not buy it when I aleary have 1k AC and my rift is finished meaning I get full AC refund on it.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

The only one I've purchased so far was the drill bit for Pig (both on PC and PS4 when I originally played on there).

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,068

I complete every Rift without any problems. So I dont need to buy any Rift Passes (except for the very first one).

And I buy cosmetics if I like them. If not, then not, lol.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Because the skins i got look good and i want to support this game

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,160

I bought the first premium Rift and haven't needed to spend any money since because I earn the auric cells back to purchase the next one. Beyond that, I think I've only bought auric cells once or twice, and I used those to get some cosmetics for Spirit, Legion, and Ash. Otherwise, I only purchase cosmetics with shards.

• Slendy4321
    Slendy4321 Member Posts: 605

I bought the premium rift pass for the second rift and it's basically paid me back all the cells I put into it and I like the ultra rare charms at the end of the rifts. So it basically help me buy all the premium rift passes for just $10

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 256

The quality of the rifts have got progressively worse, now I'm not even trying to complete the challenges. The effort isn't worth the pay off.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I believe I've bought 2 rifts and used the auric cells earned to purchase all other rifts.

I used some auric cells to purchase some trousers for David to go along with his Howling Grounds Untamed Donkey Jacket because I was excited to finally have been given it back. Now that everyone has it, I regret purchasing those trousers.

Haven't bought anything else with auric cells in the in-game store and never will again. Everything is wildly overpriced.

• DudelPumaAce
    DudelPumaAce Member Posts: 305

for consmetics, i wait for sales must time... i have spent 50 euro for AC and have now 3400

i mean what is the problem ? many people they spend the money for app games and 1 exapble look up to fifa how many player spend 1000ts of euros for a game what all years comes a new version (fifa 21, fifa 22...) and they lose all what they worked for it

its not a problem when a player spend money for the game, i mean must time you can buy with shards when you play dbd much...

the rift are good, you buy 1100 AC and buy the pass for 1000 and they give you the 1k back, or you can finished the rift to tier 70 and then you can buy it, if you are unsure whether you can even do it

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,160
    edited November 2020

I agree with the quality of the Rifts. This newest one is awful.

With each Tome I've gotten progressively more annoyed with the levels being time-locked. I don't like that DbD forces me to complete the challenges on its schedule rather letting me complete them on my own schedule. I don't mind waiting for the next Tome, but at this point the artificial cap making me wait for each level of the current Tome has made me quite frustrated. I want to play on my schedule. DbD does not drag this out for my benefit, to make sure I don't finish it too quickly and get bored; it does it for its own benefit of making it more difficult to complete the Rift and making sure players can't take an extended break, which makes the inevitable burnout worse.

There are enough roadblocks put in place to make completing the challenges more difficult than it needs to be (being forced to choose which challenge to work on before the match, only being able to work on one at a time, being totally screwed if you accidentally leave a survivor one selected when you play killer and vice versa); time-locking them on top of that feels mean-spirited. I have to go out of town for a couple weeks right when the final level of the Tome is released? Well, [BAD WORD] me, I guess.

I want to do the challenges. I like doing the challenges. But at this point not being able to do them at my own pace is making me consider quitting DbD entirely.

(Sorry, only the first two sentences are really a response to the post I quoted. Otherwise, I'm just taking this opportunity to express my growing annoyance at something many players have been unhappy with from the very beginning.)

• carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338

I have a lot of disposable income and spend an absurd amount of money on some games I play. I have only given this game $20 in cosmetics, but some game has gotten Hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.

People like me with a lot of extra money (or people without extra money but blow it anyway) on games are the real problem. I do slow down on games when they don't interest as me as much. I just don't find that many cosmetics in this game worth it, but some games hit the jackpot with me.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I mean, I've only paid for about... 1 Rift so far. I either finish the Rift and get all my money back, or I don't and then don't buy the premium track. I have never bought any Rift Tiers, nor do I spend real money on cosmetics. I used to buy the chapter bundles with money as a form of support, but the bonus cosmetics for doing that have been so underwhelming over the last few chapters that I just use my trove of Shards to acquire new content these days.

I usually put more effort into Rifts that have at least one outfit that I really want (like Mr. Puddles or Blighted Nurse). Otherwise I'll participate in the Rift until I finish the Tome Challenges and Collection entries, since that's the part of the Archives I actually enjoy completing.

• Alec1055
    Alec1055 Member Posts: 98

It’s this thing I have called, “no self control”

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

I spent 10 bucks for the first pass, and i've gotten 5000 auric cells back since (and spent 4000). by the end of this rift it'll be 6000 back and spent 5000. I'm going to have paid less than 2 bucks (american) for 5 premium rift passes. I'd say that's a pretty good price!

• You.. Expect me to not have the blighted skin for the doctor...?

• Zani22
    Zani22 Member Posts: 444

Why will I'm sorry that I wish to detect simp Dwights with susie and mori them off the earth. £10 to clean up dbd so I can return to my pirate legion skin is always going to be a good investment.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

I want to look pretty. Duh.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

i like making my survivors look cute

also, i play the game a lot so there’s honestly no reason not to by the rift since i get my money back anyway

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I’ve purchased a lot over the years.

If the rift has something for Clown, David, (or now Felix), then I’m paying for the premium.

If I absolutely love a new outfit for those same characters, I’m too impatient to grind shards. I’ll buy it straight away.

• Solomonkane
    Solomonkane Member Posts: 112

I'm just a ######### for cosmetics. No matter the game. I blame tf2.

• BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

I bought the premium rift like 4 passes ago and i just keep using the same 1000 cells for all 4 rifts.

Probably gotten a total of 15 full outfits and probably another 25 to 30 random single pieces.

Well worth the 10 bucks i spent on it.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

I can't see hats on my head so I guess I shouldn't wear hats anymore.

• MrLimonka
    MrLimonka Member Posts: 545

The only auric cell cosmetics I bought were for my two mains. (1 surv 1 killer)

And the premium pass? I used to buy it from the beggining, because why not. But now, I am going to wait until I reach lvl 70 on the base rift, and only then I am going to buy the premium pass. The rifts are getting grindier and grindier.

• Artemis_LH
    Artemis_LH Member Posts: 113

We buy everything because we are BETTER THAN YOU!!!!!

Muwahahahahaha!

The rift pass?

Yeah, we buy that #########! We buy it all!

Hell, we even buy the complete rift pass ( all 70lvls) right at the god damned beginning because ######### you, we are better than your worthless ass.

Don't believe me? I will camp and mori your ass. You will wake up to find your chickens dead and your platypus to being very upset with you over your personal life decisions.

I will mori you without my thumbs then L2 click (squat) a Deuce on the exit gate handles as david king.

I am god. I am god. I am god. I am god. I am god.

Now slavic squat dance in my honor and offer up a key for me. I will ######### on a medkit for you.

........just kidding, dear lord it was hard to type that without laughing hysterically.

• balenciaga
    balenciaga Member Posts: 21

i have all of jane and fengs cosmetics (and their rift outfits) since theyre my mains, but for the other characters i play as, I make sure i have at least 2-3 outfits for them so i can look good while playing them too. i think with this combined with buying premium pass skips...i’ve probably spent around 400-500 dollars on the game 😬

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

I get it because I play enough that I get my money back and also because it's a really good deal for the amount of cosmetics you get. I do a little math before I buy each rift to figure out how much I'm saving on those cosmetics if they were in the shop vs the rift. It's a lot of money.

• HommeBizarre
    HommeBizarre Member Posts: 409

Because the game isn't as bugged and unfun as people pretend it is...

I have spent about 100€ in comestics, bought all DLC's and all the pass

If I continue to play the game, it's because I like it and it is fun to play, and NO the game isn't bugged that much, I rarely see them.

And I will continue to do so because I am satisfied with my "Old Lady Leatherface"

(But I confess, I do like the Legendary skins, I won't buy them... don't see the point of buying the double of the cost of a DLCC for just another survivor with no new voice and things like that)

• LARI
    LARI Member Posts: 66

Bought last rift. Got new leg skin and will never spend money on this dog ######### buggy mess ever again or at least till they fix #########.

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

I’ve spent around 150-200 bucks on cosmetics, because I like the way they look.