So what’s going on with the matchmaking?

I’m not talking about queue times, but the rainbow ranks I’m seeing in every other match for the past week.

Every other match as killer or solo survivor is one of each of red, purple, green and yellow ranks. It’s not SWF because there are multiple Kindreds and if I ask, people aren’t in teams. So what’s going on, exactly?

I saw earlier that the devs have said MMR isn’t on. Have they changed something? Is it just because queue times are a bit longer than usual? Did the bloodlust experiment break something? Am I just alone in experiencing this, and having really bad luck?

Comments

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Maybe its mmr and you're catching smurfs.

Fingers crossed!

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299

I noticed the same thing. I'm a red survivor and was matched with two yellows and a green. The killer was purple rank

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

No mmr in place, I think they reverted back to rank. Did the average of the survivors' rank match the killer's?

Rank-wise I didn't notice anything drastic, but the quality of my teams/killers have been polarizing to say the least. Sometimes potatoes, sometimes amazing on both sides.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

They’re almost certainly not smurfs judging by how they play.

• xenotimebong

No, the average rank is pretty off. Earlier I had a match with me at rank 1, a rank 8, a rank 9 and a rank 12. The killer was rank 1. No idea why the game thought that would be a balanced match - it really wasn’t, lol.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Haha, well maybe not then!

I'm hoping we can soon tho!

• RocketPenguin
    RocketPenguin Member Posts: 374

My guess is just people arnt playing rn because theyre waiting for the new update so maps get fixed. This all kinda started when the ptb was announced so im guessing itll end when that ends

• lagosta

Something that I noticed also was that queues for survivors were much longer than killers. Possibly the system allocated readily available killers for survivors that were longer in queue? I am not sure if time in queue is a variable used by Behaviour tho.

• xenotimebong

Yeah I’m pretty sure they’ve said before that it is. The algorithm uses certain criteria but if you’re in queue for a long time, it will relax its standards and just try to put you in a game.

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811

That's not a surprise. It's been like this for years.

The matchmaking of DBD is a total mess. When I'm playing solo, these situations always happens:

1. My 3 other teammates are god survivors that know how to play the game and the Killer don't have game sense and end up being stomped.
    2. My 3 other teammates are potatoes and the Killer has a good game sense and end up stomping them while I'm also being draggued along with them because the Killer isn't dumb to spend time chasing the only decent survivor.

I prefer my queues to be longer to have balanced matches with my team knowing how to play and the KIller knowing what he's doing than being in these scenarios.

There's no gap to show skill in this game. You know that by reaching higher ranks in most games its a indication of skill, you will playing with people with the same game awarenes as you, but in DBD, the only thing who separates the good and bad survivor/Killer is the luck from the matchmaking.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,103

Dbd matchmaking seems to be whoever is in queue at the time you get queued with. Whether that's people your rank or people way far from your rank. Rank doesn't matter a ton like it used to, so many red ranks are really braindead since getting to red rank isn't an actual challenge.

• lagosta

I still think that the DBD rank matchmaking has it's merits, but needs to be changed you know? The best solution would be something akin to Hearthstone ranked that is quite identical to the one we have in place, but upon reaching rank 1 you are removed from the general pool and put into the MMR that they call legends. There you have your position updated after every match. That would help the incredible discrepancy that is present in DBD red ranks, where there are ppl with thousands of hours that completely trash the other side with a few hundred.

In the end ranks act as more of a time investment barrier to reach legends and very skilled/dedicated players can to it faster, transition to legends and achieve higher placements with resets every season.

• Chekita
    Chekita Member Posts: 184

It's the same matchmaking mess along with SWF in some cases. The longer you wait, the higher is the possibility for survivor to get something that is far away from his rank (up or down, doesnt matter depending on how much time you wait). That's how the matchmaking works. You start by searching for players in a lobby similar to yours, when there is none the search starts to get broader and so on.

It's simply how the matchmaking works now to avoid even more waiting in lobbies.

• xenotimebong

I don’t expect it to be great. The flaws in DBD’s matchmaking aren’t really a mystery at this point. But it seems worse than usual the last few days. I normally expect to be matched with rank 4 Megheads that are allergic to gens, but not actual rank 13s.

• xenotimebong

If anyone wants an example of what I mean by this post, I present to you the match I just finished:

I'm almost certain they weren't a four man SWF and they definitely weren't smurfs. :( Feels bad.

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365

Yeah, it sucks playing solo survivor wondering why my teammates haven't been doing anything all game and then at the end, I check their profile and they have 50 to 150 hours when I'm at almost 2k.