The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Endgame changes, post closed hatch rework and Pregame Warmup

These are some ideas for some changes or new features I was thinking of. All of these ideas are just something I made for fun. The balance may be a little wonky, but its more of an idea spitball than an actual proposal to be added.

Pregame Warmup

I remember the devs saying something about adding a new mechanic that would alleviate some of the pressure on killers at the beginning of a trail. At least, I think I did. If not, I've heard that idea around at least a couple of times. I decided to take a crack at what that change could be. This new mechanic might allow killers to have an easier time getting the game rolling, while not negatively hurting survivors that much. 

A blue timer will appear at the top of the screen, similar to the endgame collapse. It will start ticking down, lasting 2 minutes. Every time the killer does an offensive action, the timer goes down by 15 seconds. 

All over the trial, half of all pallets and windows are getting constructed. Pallets and windows in this state are called unfinished pallets or unfinished windows. Unfinished pallets cannot be used, and unfinished windows can be walked through like doorways. Every time the timer goes down by 25%, a quarter of the unfinished props in the trial will be completed, becoming usable like normal. This goes on until the timer ends, in which all pallets and windows are finished being constructed. 

Endgame Collapse changes

The Endgame Collapse has always felt like it lacked something. It didn’t feel like a collapse, more like just a glorified closure. I rarely get that exciting rush of beating the clock as a survivor, and as a killer, I barely notice it. So, I have some changes that would make the collapse feel more like the trial is actually falling apart.

The Endgame Collapse activates when the last generator is completed, instead of when an exit gate is opened. However, the timer will always be slowed to half speed if a gate is not open. Killers can also open the exit gate themselves at any time, triggering the Endgame Collapse. 

When the Endgame Collapse starts, special streaks of bright green will glow over the ground. These are called Collapse Cuts. 30 Collapse Cuts will spawn at the start of the collapse. They are anywhere between 4 to 8 meters long and 1 to 2 meters wide. They do not spawn within 6 meters of an exit gate. Whenever the collapse timer goes down by 25%, 10 additional cuts will spawn randomly across the map. 

Whenever a survivor is standing on a Collapse Cut, they will let out grunts of pain. After being on Collapse Cuts for a collective 20 seconds, they will gain tier one of the burned status effect. For every additional 20 seconds they stand on Collapse Cuts, they gain another tier of burns, up to tier three.

----

Burned: Unknown light and power has touched the survivor, causing irreversible damage to their aura reading abilities and aura itself. 

Tier one: Survivors cannot see any auras outside of 24 meters. The survivors' aura will also start leaking, causing them to glow. The survivor’s aura is randomly (2% chance every second) shown to the killer for 0.5 seconds.

Tier two: Survivors cannot see any auras outside of 16 meters. The survivors' aura will also start leaking more, causing them to glow brighter. The survivor’s aura is randomly (3% chance every second) shown to the killer for 0.5 seconds.

Tier three: Survivors cannot see any auras outside of 8 meters. The survivors' aura has leaked completely, causing them to glow incredibly bright. The survivor’s aura is randomly (4% chance every second) shown to the killer for 0.5 seconds.

---

Once the endgame collapse starts, there is a base 4% chance of a window becoming permanently destroyed for the rest of the trail whenever a survivor does a rushed vault. Destroyed vaults act like breakable walls, and can be destroyed by the killer to make them a doorway. Whenever the collapse timer goes down by 25%, that chance increases by 2%. 

Skirmish

A simple solution to the hatch problem. The hatch has been a boring mechanic for the most part, especially when the killer closes it with one survivor left. The Skirmish changes that boring gate patrolling slog into a true game of cat and mouse. 

Whenever the hatch is closed by any means, a special green timer will appear at the top of the screen that lasts 2 minutes. During this time, exit gates become permanently blocked. Every 5 seconds, an arrow will appear on the ground in front of the killer pointing to the closest survivor. Whenever a survivor is downed, they will instantly be sacrificed to the entity on the spot. If there are any living survivors by the timer ends, they will be grabbed by the entity and escape the trial alive.

Comments

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554

Interesting stuff, though I feel the arrow pointed directly toward the survivor at the end is a little much. It could be something like whispers where it tells you if they are within a certain radius of you.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,098

i mean the ideas aren't bad but this is really heavily sided towards killer. Endgame was only added to force the game to end which is does. It's not to enforce anything else it's simply to make the game have an end point. Hatch closing was added to combat hatch standoffs which i've personally had before they added closing it last for well over 20 minutes. I don't think the game really needs a ton of extra flashy stuff it needs some major bug fixes and slight balancing.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241

Heavily killer sided ideas.

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716

This is why we need a true custom game mode where we can make cool things like this

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

Counter suggestion:

Chase resources are no longer given for free to survivors (except vault locations). All pallets must be untethered (from the obstacle they are leaning against) before they can be used, so survivors must be extra careful at the start of matches to not get caught out too early. Additionally, this prevents some survivors from wasting all the pallets in one area if the survivor hadn't already put in the work to prepare the pallets for use.

Endgame collapse only starts after both exit gates have been opened. When one exit gate is opened, an invisible timer for 3 minutes is started, and this timer halts at 1 minute if the other exit gate hasn't yet been opened. Once both exit gates are opened at any point during the timer, the timer at the top then becomes visible 30 seconds after that with the remaining time. No ground visuals occur until the timer appears (30 seconds after the second exit gate is opened). Exit gates will enter a closing animation at 15 seconds left, and any survivors in the exit gate zone at that point will enter into the escape animation instantly.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,193

Certainly some interesting Ideas. I love the concept of resources being built up as the trial starts and being destroyed as it ends, it'd certainly make the EGC feel a lot more dramatic. However, I'm not sure if it'd be that great for balance.

The Skirmish idea, however, I think should be implemented with a couple of changes. Instead of the arrow system, make it so the killer and survivor can see each other's aura outside of a certain distance. Having a final chase instead of a gate patrol-fest would be a lot more fun than what we've got, and I would argue that it should replace the automatic hatch opening altogether.