What if perks and killers were changed monthly?

Options

I've been sitting on this idea for a while and I'm not sure if anyones suggested this before but here goes.

The basic idea is to try and shake up the meta by adding small buffs and nerfs to perks and killers each month.

So for example, one month you could have trapper set traps as if he had his yellow trap setting add-on, Freddys teleport could recharge slightly slower and clown might start with an extra bottle by default.

Then on the perks side you might have cruel limits apply to a bigger area, tier 3 ruin regress at 150% instead of 200% and haunted ground be 20 seconds shorter.

Then after a month or 2, these would go back to default.

These are obviously all just examples of potential temporary changes but in my opinion could really shake up the game and the meta. Or even killer pick rate.

What do you think? Would this be good for the game if done right?

Comments

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

I'd prefer they continue to balance what we have before tweaking things just for the sake of tweaking things. In a few years something like this could be fun, though.

• Bigboi
    Bigboi Member Posts: 12
    Options

Yeah i agree fixing the current state of the game should be a priority. This was assuming (in a perfect world) that the game was balanced and bug free.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

I don't believe changing things purely for the sake of shaking up the meta is a good idea.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

I could see it working in small doses with perks (possibly as temporary "experiments" where they buff 2-4 underperforming perks and tone down 2-4 overperforming perks for a week or two and see what breaks).

I don't think this idea would work for killers and their powers. Messing with their values like this could mess them up for the experiments duration in ways that make them very weak, overly strong, or straight-up bug out some element of their kit. I think the balance dynamics of the killers are too complex for this style of testing to be good for the game (ie, these kinds of changes should generally just be tested in the PTB and not in the live build).

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

There kind of already doing this every midchaper there buffing and fixing perks

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

This is exactly what we need, there are so many perks yet only a handful of them get used. And some of them only need a number tweak to be useful, Tinkerer is an amazing example of this, all they did is change up a few numbers and now the perk is used in a lot of killer builds. I'm sure the same could be done with other perks by just tweaking them. It would also make the game slightly less stale over time as at least the meta would change.

• JoeyBob
    JoeyBob Member Posts: 477
    Options

They can barely cope fixing bugs. This ain't happening.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,826
    Options

First I'd like them to add new mechanics/actions/whatever, because I think that would help more than anything with how stale the gameplay feels.

Tweaking little things monthly would be nice for veteran players, but I think it would make learning the game for new players a lot more difficult what with the already large number of killers and perks. It's hard to say whether it would shake up the meta or just cause confusion.

• Katie_met
    Katie_met Member Posts: 422
    Options

Imagine how many bugs would occur and how wrong this would go

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

I could see this working for perks. I do not think that doing this for killer powers is a good idea. Add-ons maybe but not base powers.

If a perk or add-on gets broken because of this in either direction... Well just don't use it. There's already several broken things that people kind of ignore. Adding one more isn't a huge deal.

If an entire killer gets broken for one reason or another... People almost certainly will not be ok with just not playing their favorite killer.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,870
    Options

What i've seen in other games is usually a rotation of free content. We have the shrine for purchasing, maybe make the perks on it available at their lowest rank during the week so we can experiment and have variability for players that are on a budget?