It's sad and depressing to know that killers have 23 perks that have to do with gens

Options
AggressiveFTW
AggressiveFTW Member Posts: 928
edited February 2021 in General Discussions

The 23 perks that I'm talking about are: Overcharge, Hex: Ruin, Corrupt Intervention, Thrilling Tremors, Oppression, Dragon's Grip, Discordance, Surveillance, Pop Goes the Weasel, Gearhead, Trail of Torment, Surge, Hex: Huntress Lullaby, Tinkerer, Dead Man's Switch, Fire Up, Thanatophobia, Dying Light, Mindbreaker, Rancor, Brutal Strength, Cruel Limits and Bitter Murmur.

It's honestly sad and depressing to know that killers have 23 perks that have to do with gens. How come we have so many gen perks? Have we ever asked for that amount of gen perks? Is this a sign that survivors need a new objective?

If I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I think that the devs have lost their creativity a little bit with perk creation. The game will definitely get more boring over the years if survivors don't get a new objective soon.

The saddest part of all of this is that half of those perks aren't even used very often and isn't very good and viable in high ranks if you are trying to play serious and sweat.

What are your thoughts and ideas on how to fix this? Do you also believe that survivors need another new objective soon?

Post edited by AggressiveFTW on

Comments

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

Thats the reason why gen perks are popular not why there are so many. But i think its normal that there are so many. Its one of the main objective besides finding and killing survivors. There are atleast the same amount of tracking perks. Many of this listed perks are tracking perks which not help to regress gens.

The real problems here are that gen regressing perks are the most impactful perks and there are only Ruin, Pop and Corrupt which are viable.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,532
    Options

Gen perks are the strongest and most popular. The Devs want to sell the new DLC. So guess what type of perks they keep making?

As long as gen speeds have the potential to override fast chases and cause the Survivors to win by default regardless of how well the Killer plays, generator regression perks will be king.

If you've ever tried Adept Killer challenges at Rank 1, you'll notice yourself losing matches you should've won simply because you can't stop the generators since you don't have any regression perks.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

The devs dont design perks to be pay to win. They create them by accident and then wait to fix them till the dlc has sold enough.

And i said in my comment that gen regression are the strongest perks.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

That many objectives based on Generators tells you there is a problem with Generators getting done too fast, i.e. they keep trying to balance it.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

19 perks you for got dying light

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108
    Options

I think its more ridiculous that survivors get so many second chance perks

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

For the same reason survivors have a bunch of perks related to healing. Generators and healing are well established core mechanics in the game, so it makes perfect sense for a perk system to offer various approaches to performing or preventing such actions/objectives.

• Pipefish
    Pipefish Member Posts: 331
    Options

STBL helps a lot though for some of these killers and most M1 killers in general. As someone whose a decent deathslinger main I almost never go without STBL!

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

It makes sense to HAVE perks for core mechanics. But the number of perks for one core mechanic that we have right now, that's just ridiculous. For example, we have two perks for anti-gen tapping (Overcharge & Hex: Ruin), only that is already ridiculous.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,630
    Options

I mean, DBD is quite a simple game. You basically have 3 categories for Perks as Killer - Chasing, Tracking and Slowdown. With 78 Perks in total for Killers it is quite logical that a huge Bunch of them will be Slowdown as well, and even more logical that those will also focus on Gens, considering that Healing and Objectives are the only things which really make sense to slow down.

So nothing which is sad or depressing IMO.

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

The point of this thread is just for me to express myself saying that we never had to have this many gen related perks (anti-gen tapping, gen slowdown, gen tracking, etc..).

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

A new objective? They can't do the one they have now.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

Well, to be fair, Overcharge and Ruin have different weaknesses. Overcharge is better at the lower ranks where the killer has enough time to kick gens and the survivors haven't yet learned to hit skill checks; if the survivors can hit the skill checks, the perk does nothing more than waste the killer's own time. Ruin is good on killers that can pressure gens but useless on killers who can't, plus it's a hex perk which is very risky as it could be cleansed in the first thirty seconds of the match.

Since gens are the survivor's main objective, it makes sense that so many perks would be generator-related. Unfortunately, the perks are also there as a band-aid because gens can pop so quickly, but with killers all being different strengths it's difficult to change gens at their core in a way that won't make already strong killers even stronger.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,630
    Options

Gens are the Main Objective. Sure that a huge part of Perks affects Generators.

Regarding a new Objective - as long as it is balanced. Killers dont need more time in general, at least when it comes to Objectives. So if you make a secondary Objective that you need to collect parts, the time spent on a Generator would be decreased as well.

So its not like you will have 80 seconds for a Gen and 60 seconds to collect Parts, for example, lol.

In general, adding a second Objective is pretty difficult, since it needs to be balanced. Even tho, I can imagine, most Killer players will be fine if it is like "Ok, it takes double the time to complete the Objective now!".

• JustHeretoHaveFun
    JustHeretoHaveFun Member Posts: 86
    Options

To be fair, gens are the primary focus of the game. I'm curious how many these add up to:

The amount of perks survivors have for gens.

The amount survivors have for healing.

The amount killers have for chasing.

Also, some of those barely even register. Things like Discordance and Surveillance help find survivors, not slow down gens. There's not many other ways to track survivors. If a survivor is likely to be at a gen, perks like that help you whittle down where they are.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

That's not the sad part, the sad part is that you usually have to run at LEAST 1 or 2 of these perks unless you want 5 gens done in 4 minutes...

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

Everyone; There is problems with Gen Speed.

Therapist; So what do you do then

Devs; Band-aid perk?

Therapist; *face palms*

• therealalfy
    therealalfy Member Posts: 8
    Options

What? You act like we press one button and we get a freebie. You still have to input a response for the second chances to work. Ubreakble dosnt happen often. Adrenaline doesnt happen often well to me cause i solo and survivoes be dumb as hell. Plus yall shoylx be killing with moris

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

I like how you bring up the two least common second chance perks. Borrowed Time, Decisive Strike, Dead Hard. 2 require just the press of a button (and that isn't a hard skill check). The other doesn't need a button at all - you just have to INTENTIONALLY GET HIT.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options

There needs to be different modes that brings more variety to the game. As it is, holding a button to fix a generator, holding a button to cleanse a totem, holding a button to heal a survivor, etc, it's all rather boring. And to make it even worse you get far fewer blood points than you do when you play killer.

I've been playing this game for less than a year and already I'm getting burned out. I can only imagine how those that have been playing this game for the last 4 years must feel having to do the same thing over and over again because it's all you can do.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

I have to completely disagree. Perks like Enduring, Brutal Strength, and STBFL are far from band-aids. They are just perks to make certain aspects of the game feel a little bit better and don't serve to make up for a lack in core game design.

Firstly, Brutal Strength feels wonderful on Spirit, and secondly, 8 stacks of STBFL on Huntress is another great feeling. I do not feel as if I could not perform significantly less well if I did not have the perks, and I don't feel lacking when I do not equip them.

If anything, all of the more recent gen perks are band-aids far more than enduring or brutal strength, as the gen perks serve to cover up underlying issues that should be addressed without perks.

Furthermore, in all of the instances where I've felt like gens are going by too quickly, I've always felt like I've been wandering and wasting my time while survivors are allowed to all of their chase resources for me. So, gen speed has never been an issue in my games but rather the lack of my ability to know when I'm generally in the area of survivors (sometimes even with Whispers) and the lack of any required effort from survivors to prepare resources for themselves has been.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

Gens are broken. Genrushing is impossible to beat, the math just doesn't add up. So, naturally, people try to slam gens as fast as possible (not actual genrushing), and killers try and slow them down as much as possible. The Devs bandaided this core gameplay issue with slowdown perks. And now, as with Hex perks and Hex defence, it is just grandfathered in. They aren't going to rip out 18 perks THEN rebalance the game, that's too difficult.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,235
    Options

It's too late to redesgin gens and survivor's primary objectives. Imagine all of the rebalancing which would have to go into killers and anything strong to do with killer.

• ComaDarkvale
    ComaDarkvale Member Posts: 20
    Options

It's sad and depressing that such things make you sad and depressed. None of that bothers me we go in we play we have fun. That's the point of all games. Wow this community is miserable lol

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298
    Options

If this was added in they would need to massively reduce the amount of time it would take to install said parts. If it still took 80 seconds + having to find these parts the game would be comically easy as killer.

• iplaybothsides
    iplaybothsides Member Posts: 33
    Options

What's your point? There are 20 survivor perks that are related to healing. There's a crap ton of perks in this game, and really not many things to interact with, of course there's gonna be a lot of overlap

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,200
    Options

Exactly

Gen, hook, totem, obsession, heal, gate, pallets, locker. Thats all.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,542
    Options

As already stated... Gens themselves can't be reworked without throwing everything else out the window

All of those perks do something different... with some overlap but nothing too major

• toukent
    toukent Member Posts: 88
    Options

True all those perks and killers still get gen rushed 90% of games.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583
    Options

Personally I think gens should have a ramp up system, maybe we could add more or incorporate different objectives, maybe even map-based objectives.

My idea would be something that basically averages out the generator repair speed, so that in essence it's basically the same, but also a generator will naturally regress when let go, but not fall below a certain line unless damaged via perks or killers hitting them.

So let's say the first 20% of a generator takes 24 seconds to repair, then the next 40% takes the standard 32 seconds to repair, the next 20% takes 14 seconds to repair, and the final 20% takes 8 seconds to repair. The generator will stop regressing at 20%, 40%, and 60% naturally unless a killer damages the generator by kicking it or with a perk.

Map-specific objectives could be like:

Ormond: take time to start the fire, otherwise the middle room is completely dark(and killers are given dark vision in this room). Alternate objective, grab 10 cans of gasoline and fill them up at the tractor and you will be able to break down an escape gate faster at the end of a match.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

I came up with an idea like a shrine or idol of the entity and over time it demands attention and if neglected can have effects that get worse and worse until taken care of being in a chase or pig trap makes the time go slower like egc timer it could start small like your character and actions are louder then like move up to like exhaustion then a visual effect like in the evil within where every thing could pulse and start giving hinderd it could start revealing your aura and if neglected all game could maybe prevent you from leaving the trial

Now this would have to be over a long period of time like several minutes so it would reward the killer for pressuring people off gens and extended the game

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,253
    Options

the sad part is most of them aren't good but they just keep them instead of figuring out which players will actually use and changing them accordingly to be different or actually useable perks

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230
    Options

Slowing gens even more feels like an absolute awful idea unless the goal is to ensure everyone is dead. So many games is people already doing absolutely nothing, blending into a wall and waiting for their team to get killed so they can hatch out or farm hooks for points. What's happening is the game is being balanced against swf while people who are at best 2 swf or solo and have 2 to 3 other survivors doing nothing but getting points for hiding in the TR or farming hooks. Yeah Gen simulator sucks so let's not add more to gens. Let's find parts to repair the door to turn off the lights and sound. Let's make the survibros guess which door the others repaired and if the part goes on the wrong door it starts the other door over etc. Let's make it fun again. If we make gens last longer let's respawn pallets after one person runs through and wastes every single pallet and hides or let's give survivors their own pallets and let killers reign in the points breaking hundreds of pallets

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    Options

You'd think they'd just nerf gen speeds again and have the effects of these perks be smaller but they instead give us perks and say solve it yourself.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,146
    edited November 2020
    Options

Now what is sadder is when you realize that the following perks are useless:

• Overcharge
    • Dragon's Grip
    • Gear head
    • Trail of Torment
    • Surge
    • Hex: Huntress Lullaby
    • Dead Man's Switch
    • Fire Up
    • Dying Light
    • Mindbreaker

The following perks are situational:

• Surveillance
    • Tinkerer
    • Thanatophobia
    • Thrilling Tremors

The following perks are actually good:

• Hex: Ruin
    • Corrupt Intervention
    • Discordance
    • Pop goes the Weasel
  • BillyMain77
    BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415
    Options

This sounds like so much fun, can we get a weekend where we remove gens and replace them with this idea.

They could do something like each survivor had to bring 4 full needles to open the gate for themselves and if you got hit by the killer you lost your needles or something.

Would be so much more fun running around and actually doing something rather than just holding m1 on a gen for 80 secs.

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617
    Options

Because gen speeds are the longest standing problem dbd has, so they have the most bandaids available in the hopes that BHVR will never have to bother thinking outside the loop and changing the mechanic up at all.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636
    edited November 2020
    Options

If they did increase gen speed by 30 seconds, killers would still use gen slow down perks.

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

And if they reduce gen speed by maybe 30 seconds or something, they could add a new objective/mechanic.