How do I get to be a better killer?

Options

I have roughly 600 hours on killer out of my 1.5k played, but I just seem to be the worst out there. I can never catch up to survivors in some of my games. Like I want to go against a team better than me but not one that I can't touch. It's like I constantly get gods in my games and I don't know how the ######### I made it to red ranks, please help.

Comments

• Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241
    Options

The big things that really helped me out were learning mind games and rewatching matches I recorded in order to analyze my chases.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,532
    Options

I am pretty sure that you aren't the worst killer out there by any means! And I can definitely agree with recording some of your matches and analyzing what you could have done differently in a situation - and if you have a friend that plays a lot of killer, get them to take a look (this is what I did on the weekend on the BL experiment when I struggled with certain tiles).

Another thing, use the KYF feature and practice against a survivor friend (the DbD Discord is also good for arranging these types of matches), and just practice - learn how to run the different tiles etc.

Good luck with it.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

could watch Otz stream, personally though I would jsut say you should keep playing and keep trying to do stuff that you did not do before, waiting instead of moving, walking towards something but in reverse, pretending to go somewhere but then not actually doing so, etc etc

I tend to just run into survivors when memeing around, when you just go to places you would never go to because there is nothing there for you, boom a survivor found!

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    edited November 2020
    Options

One of dead by daylights biggest shortcomings is the fact that there is no practice mode, not to mention it's weak tutorial doesn't tell you anything about the game, which forces you to look elsewhere for someone to teach you how to play the game.

A lot of people will tell you to customize a kyf match, but many people (myself included) don't have online friends that they could easily get a match like that going. The devs don't even let you form a custom match by yourself against bots. Unfortunately you have no other choice but to get stomped repeatedly until you get better.

• ProwlingDead
    ProwlingDead Member Posts: 23
    Options

I'm not great yet, but I have come a long way and I find my best source besides videos online is your own, I record all my games and go back and watch random ones to see where I really messed up at... example on one is I was playing Pig and I had one survivor in a trap and the other just running... Without thinking I went after the trap... Why? I should have went after the free survivor. So now I pay attention to who i'm chasing in those situations.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

Watch streamers or youtubers, i would recommend otz, and think every time what you would do in their situation. Then compare what they did and why its more effective.

Watch a lot of tutorials. (Otz has many + a list in his faq about good killer specific tutorials) Its not bad when you know 80% of the tutorial, when you learn one new thing.

There are small things to learn. Like instead of hitting a survivor to bodyblock the 99% exit gate and then hitting.

Learn everything about survivor, too. For example knowing all survivor techs helps you counter them.