OoO Rework

Braders
Braders Member Posts: 6
edited December 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

I have a simple idea.

Make the killer also see the survivor's aura when he looks at him at the determined distance.

So it's now a real "benefit both sides" perk, since as for now, the Survivor totally controls when he is getting value of it, and keeping in mind that the survivor knowing where the killer is, is not as valueble as the killer knowing where one survivor is, and that's why giving the survivor full control is borderline unfair.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• MythMage
    MythMage Member Posts: 521

That's... actually kind of cool. I'd totally be down for that. Maybe also only limit it to the Obsession, so it can kind of be this little link between the Killer and Survivor, kind of like the link between Voldemort and Harry in the Harry Potter series

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

Yeah, I've been wanting this for quite a while.

Only if they are looking at each other should the Auras be revealed.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

I like the idea, but you do realize that the devs aren't reworking OoO because of the high kill rate on people using it right?

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited December 2020

Right but this is a good example of why contextless statistics are bad to over-depend on. The universal death rate of OoO SHOULD be very high because its a perk with a very big downside to use just as a 'I can see where the killer is' perk on someone playing normally.

OoO is a problem not because it has a high winrate, but because it has very game warping effects on high rank SWF lobbies. The perk arguably is not functioning how its intended because the best way to use it is to have someone basically not play DBD at all and just give a play by play on the killer in a manner that shuts down a lot of strategies and makes killer gameplay... objectively awful.

Win-loss rates are important, but they are not everything. OoO does the worst thing a gameplay mechanic can do which is make the act of winning a game and playing well deeply frustrating.

• dezzmont

Right, this is the problem with just blindly following contextless statistics. They measure EXACTLY what you are looking at, but are rarely representative of the whole picture.

In the case of OoO, we SHOULD expect a low survival rate, because its 'default' use is inherently extremely dangerous and offers little upside: Its very easy to track the killer with other better perks like bond.

What OoO does is completely warp the game for SWF lobbies in a way that is truly unfun and frustrating for the killer and promotes weird stupid play where the survivors, who already have an information and map presence advantage, can completely shut down all interaction with the killer and any mechanics that require the killer to do anything that can be observed.

OoO isn't 'too strong' it just does really dumb things to the game and makes high ranked lobbies that use it not fun to win against, which is the worst thing a mechanic can do. It actively punishes you for trying to play DBD.

• DarKaron
    DarKaron Member Posts: 615

I actually kind of like this idea.

Is it still OP in the hands of a 4-man? Maybe so.

But at least with this consolation prize, the Killer would no longer be left in the dark on where the OoO user was holding out.

Hell, with thar change, I'd even allow it to work regardless of distance, though maybe that's just me.

Though, please ensure that it does not expose Undetectable Killers in the process.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited December 2020

No, while the idea is cool the perk needs better aura interaction and the perk on a whole needs a nerf, it wouldn't solve why OoO is such a problem. here's my OoO rework i think this could actually be a thing.

OoO: when you look in the direction of the killer you see their aura if they are outside of 24 meters and are within 48 meters for 3/4/5 seconds. OoO has a cooldown of 10 seconds, during the cooldown the killer can see your aura outside of 24 meters. If you are not the obsession OoO has a cooldown of 30/25/20 seconds. OoO does not activate if the killer is undetectable.

OoO becomes disabled if you are on a hook or in the dying state.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

I know the issue with OoO. And yes, it is too strong. They always have 32 meters+ distance from you.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Personally I would want a full rework of the perk, but this could also do well assuming the devs don't have the energy to fully rework it.

Still doesn't fix it in 4 mans, as frankly they don't care if they're being looked at, but it's a good change overall.

• Dennis_van_eijk
    Dennis_van_eijk Member Posts: 1,704

Personally I would revert back to the old way that OoO worked.

Where both the killer and the survivor have to look into eachother direction to get their aura revealed.

That way there is a counter for the killer, but he still has to work for it.

He can turn around and walk backwards to that survivor, but risking to walk into objects and also not seeing the survivor flee or hide.

At least that way there is a benefit on both sides instead of 1 side in full control

• dezzmont

The actual long term fix to OoO is to make it mirror Rancor and occur in timing windows so its not a permanent uptime on killer detection.

The worst part of OoO is that the only time it triggers is the point where the downside of making it easier for the killer to find you isn't relevant. Changing the trigger condition itself from being outside terror radius (which also has the problem of making it counter perks explicitly about the killer avoiding detection like M&A) to something else.

That or making the downside of OoO actually very relevant to staying alive even if you want to just passively use that perk as a radar dish. Like the big problem with OoO is that its so playstyle defining someone will be in a game PURELY to use OoO and that is a good use of a player even if they can't do gens because of it (and they can still do gens!).

Another way to think of it is that having permanent aura read on a killer is so strong its kinda... worth it being a 3v1. The core interaction is the problem.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 747

Personal, I think Object of Obsession reworks be more like... if you are the Object and you get discovered and chased by the killer! Their aura is revealed to every other Survivor, in the map; as well as a Slight Haste speed boost, to make the killer go on a guessing game on whatever or not you have Object; and that the killer is giving that Survivor too much of a advantage and are just wasting their time chasing them!

Way much better, then.... "I can see from across the map, call you out and remind the killer that we can see their strategy and movement, and there is nothing you can do about it, you dumb killer main!" The current Object of Obsession not going to be the strongest perk to run in Solos, which is majority of the playerbase; as they would rather run meta perks like Exhaustion based perks, Adrenaline, DS, etc. To help them Survive better; while this perk would most likely will get them tunnel and killed!

However, when in high level ranks; especially in SWF teams with coms! This perks gives the experience player so much information about the killer; that it literally sucks the fun of the game and encourage a more toxic behavior in which you can literally annoyed and ruin any gameplay the killer can achieve throughout the match! It absolutely destroyed any Trapper plays, as Objects can either disarm the traps they placed or called it out to their team and have this disabled it or be aware of it! It takes away the element of "Surprises" and spook factor in this online horror game; and that is not cool if any Object users used this to their advantage!

My proposal rework, is to not punished the Killer for playing the game; but rather punished them for constant chasing the Obsession running it!