Can we talk about Nurse?

I don't know if I just haven't found the right resources, but it seems to me that whenever I try to look for advice against nurse the most you'll get is break LoS and more importantly, hope that the nurse player isn't very experienced. From what I'm learning, if the nurse is god tier, you just die. All that you can do is hope for hatch and see how much time you can waste. I'm aware that she's kind of a controversial topic for discussion. People that play her well aren't looking for changes in any way, which is understandable considering how much time they put into learning her kit. Maybe I'm the black sheep here, but Imo, playing against an experienced nurse sucks. It really just comes down to hiding and seeing how much time you can waste before she inevitably kills you and then your whole team. The best game I've ever had against a god nurse there were 3 generators done, and that's with literally spawning on her ruin. Dealing with god nurses just isn't fun. And honestly, neither is playing against inexperienced nurses. You don't really feel like you're ever truly in danger of losing and sure if you enjoy clowning on lesser skilled players than you it's probably enjoyable, but it's not my thing. Does anyone else agree? I feel like I need to just start running flashlights in every match of survivor on the off chance that it's against nurse. Even then I can only hope to waste maybe 1 minute of her time, tops. Is there any advice I'm not seeing to play against her? I find her pretty frustrating so I'll take all of the advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ipiper34
    ipiper34 Member Posts: 15

I think it's pretty unfortunate it all depends on the nurses skill, and the survivor's skill isn't really applicable in chase. Considering the community's stance on her I doubt a change will come anytime soon.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Nurse speedwise is effectively a 115% killer(Yes people did the math and found that out) who can pass through objects.

She is realistically no faster then any other killer but given her lurching teleporting style makes her seem faster then she really is.

When she catches up to you in you hold W its no faster(If not slower) then any 115% speed killer doing the same.

LoS and lockers both help against her a lot because of this.

• IronTale
    IronTale Member Posts: 34

Nurse can be countered by using Coldwind,yamoaka and mother dwelling offerings

She is also hard countered by stealth perks like Lightweight,poised and off the record.

Theses perks also break LOS

• ipiper34

I've seen nurses that hold their blink for what I think is the maximum, but not move at all when the blink occurs. Is there a reliable way to deal with this? Because it seems to me that if I double back they blink in place and are close enough for a reliable second blink, but if I never double back they blink the intended distance and I'm still in second blink range anyway. Is there some sort of middle ground distance that works best?

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

That means she aimed downward to kill the distance. If you did the fake double back move or continued to run forward, she is toast. She will blink in place and you will create a ton of distance, effectively ending the chase.

• Eightball_uwu
    Eightball_uwu Member Posts: 55

its honestly just a matter of reaction time - try and double back only at the last second when the nurse starts her blinking movement, and if she does manage to trick you and blinks in place change direction as fast as possible, she will be looking the ground so its pretty easy to lose LOS. I know it's pretty crap advice but theres not much else you can do against a good nurse

• MythMage
    MythMage Member Posts: 521

Well, that's kind of what Killers should be like: see how much time you can waste before you are inevitably caught. You shouldn't be able to 1v1 a Killer. That's just bad asymmetrical game design

• derppug
    derppug Member Posts: 239

To be fair, this means that the person has played loads with her. If a survivor has that much skill, he will be able to loop and destroy a killer all day every day...except Nurse.

• ipiper34

I think I disagree. I understand what you're saying, but in most chases what determines the killer landing hits is by employing mindgames against the survivor, and vise versa. If the players are of equal skill, it just comes down to who can predict the others movements first. And there are multiple killers who can take advantage of their powers in chase (nurse excluded) like doctor, demo, pyramid head, freddy, etc.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

What also helps, that Nurse has actually a lot of tells. You can see how long she charges her blink, and kinda where she is pointing at. Long blinks are most likely slow enough to judge midblink where she will land. Also if she does a maximum charge blink and looks down, her blink time will take long giving you more time to react.

In general it's important to make sure, to keep her on enough distance to prevent her for making a fast short blink. Those basicly you can't predict and react. Also you can make kinda a use of pallets, because she is stunable during the time she comes out of her blink before her attack and a dropped pallet can still create a safe wall between you and a Nurse in almost hitrange. Of course a good Nurse player will never get stunned, but they have to consider/respect the pallet in some way.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

A game where everything hinges on one persons skill and the other persons skill doesn't even factor into it no matter how good they are is flawed. In fact it's not really a multiplayer game at all and bears more semblance to a single player game.

• ipiper34

Can you actually tell where she is looking while charging blink? I've tried to do double backs but I might've missed if she was looking towards me or down at the ground.

• ipiper34

I agree, it seems pretty strange to me that I don't see many people talking about this. I guess everyone just kind of accepts that it'll happen sometimes on move on?

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

They do, they're just not very articulate about it because they call it 'boring' gameplay without pinpointing the fact that either one side or the others skill doesn't factor into the outcome.

• keygun
    keygun Member Posts: 311

Listen closely, literally.

You can almost hear her on the other side of the map.

Get that mid gen out of the way and her map pressure drops dramatically.

Distance also helps if she misses. She is a beast up close, but with a little bit of distance it becomes a mind game.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    edited December 2020

God tier Nurse? You die unless you're extremely careful about not being found. The devs have done nothing to combat this and decided to kick the casual Nurse players by nerfing how fun she was a number of patches ago because the devs haven't yet figured out how to balance the game for all players.

The best advice I have is:

A. don't be found and consider leaving teammates to die if they get caught

B. switch between acting like you're a rank 20 and a rank 1 survivor regardless of what rank you actually are. The more you make a Nurse think you're more experienced or less experienced than you really are, the more you're able to make the Nurse make the wrong moves in chases, hopefully buying you enough time to get away.

• ipiper34

It isnt realistic to burn a map offering like that for every single game that I play.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

Only the direction as far as I know. But like I said her blink time depends on charge time, so when she looks down you should have time to react midblink.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

So im definately not god tier when I play nurse, but I'd give myself a solid B+ . here are the things that screw me up the most:

-GOOD stealth players. If I can't find you, I can't hit you. Bringing spine chill or preminition can help you hide before a nurse gets close enough to spot you.

-Good blink juking. The trick is to play against or as nurse a lot and get a feel for how long a blink charge is held and knowing how far that will make her go. If you hear/see her charging for a long time to blink ahead of you, be prepared to double back and run straight through her. If its a short blink, turn 90 degrees to the right (since killers swing from right to left, going to their right makes it where they have a shorter time to react)

-avoid areas with multi-levels if possible. The biggest way i catch survivors off guard is if they're repairing on the 2nd floor or basement. They tend to be more confined and the nurse can predict the routes you will take to get away. Also, if she hooks in the basement, be SURE she's out of blink range before you rescue. I kept having survivors swarm a basement hook as soon as I left the building and I was able to blink and grab the rescuer mid hook 3 times in a row because they went for it while i was within range.

-Nurses tend to bring 1 or 2 aura reading perks so they can blink more accurately when they lose LOS. Dont let them if you can. Aura supression perks can be great. Otherwise, if healing, do it far away to avoid nurses calling, for example

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825

there are things you can try against the 2 S tier killers(nurse and spirit) but past a certain level of experience on their part you just delay the inevitable

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690

One does not simply counter Nurse.

Let me put it to you this way, the small PP build is considered the bare minimum to defeat a good Nurse, and that's if she still screws up. Honestly? The best way to survive is to hide and pray she never finds you. The one thing you have going for you is that her mobility isn't all that great.... unless she's running add-ons. Then you should just accept death.

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828

heaven forbid there's a good killer that doesn't play ring around the rosie for 6 minutes straight

• MythMage
    MythMage Member Posts: 521

...and then get a piece of wood slammed in their face and then holding W for 40 seconds and then repeating the process. I think that's all survivors want Killers to be, and that's kind of stupid

• ipiper34

By small app build I'm assuming you mean just full stealth?

• ipiper34

Is there really any benefit to trying to play pallets and windows with nurse? Or are you realistically improving your odds by just trying to be in as open an area as possible when it comes to blink prediction? Because when I look for nurse tips the two main ones are break LoS and try to predict blinks but unless I'm misunderstanding doing one of these strategies well kinda limits how good you can do the other. As in it's difficult for me at least to predict blinks while maintaining a broken sightline.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841

As always said, Nurse and Spirit just negate survivor skill and can down you every time they use their power if the player is experienced/skilled.

There are small things you can do, like a locker juke against Nurse of DH one of her blinks, but in the end she will catch you.

• ipiper34

I get where you're coming from, but you can't deny that nurse and spirit are ridiculous when compared to the rest of the games cast of killers. It's a difficult balance for sure, but I think the fact that it relies so heavily on mind gaming is important. That's how most killers have to play loops and as we can see with the two killers who are controversial for basically denying the survivors ability to mindgame effectively, when they're as strong as they are that the games whole premise falls apart.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

"Small PP" build means using unbreakable and decisive strike, usually combined with an adrenaline perk and something like borrowed time

• ipiper34

I see, the typical waste as much time as possible stuff.

• ipiper34

The only time I see survivors doing well enough against a killer for it to be considered 1v1 is when the matchmaking inevitably breaks and the survivor is significantly more skilled. It usually is about how much time you can waste, but the survivors have tools like pallets or windows to even make it possible. We all know how long a chase really lasts when you catch a survivor in a dead zone. But that's the problem with killers like nurse and spirit. When they use their powers effectively, there really is nowhere that a survivor has any chance of gaining more time wasted than getting lucky and the killer making mistakes. To them, the whole map might as well be a deadzone.

• FattiePoobum
    FattiePoobum Member Posts: 293

She is like any killer in the hands of a god tier player

chances are you are going to die.

• derppug
    derppug Member Posts: 239

If you watch players like Zubatlel or OhTofu or Angrypug play, you'll see that 99% of the killers they face get their face smashed in by one player. Even if a killer downs a survivor, you just need to be good-ish to waste enoguh time to win.

• Killing_Time
    Killing_Time Member Posts: 894

Nurse is the only killer NOT DEPENDENT ON RNG & SURVIVOR MISTAKES.

All killers should be like Nurse.

• IronTale
    IronTale Member Posts: 34

It's not realistic to not assume people aren't running theses offerings. As these offerings lead to survivor sided maps which makes them more common.

• LARI
    LARI Member Posts: 66

Nerf nurse cuz she has maybe 3 mains. Getting a skilled nurse in the game is rare af. I have 300h played and from those hours at most I came accross a good nurse like 10 times.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

You're expected to predict when and where The Nurse will blink just as she's predicting where you will be after her blink. It's then a game of trying to get out of the corners The Nurse is trying to put you in.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Well you thought wrong. A lot of people really like playing against Blight, who's power is literally a massive "######### you" to people who hold W. When the servers are functional, Huntress is great fun to play against, and things aren't going to go well if all you do is run in a straight line against her. Billy and Demo are a lot of people's favourite killers to go against, and if you're gonna tell me that you run in a straight line against these two killers then idek anymore. Oni is another great example of a strong and balanced killer.

People are fine with good killers having strong chase powers. When there's equal opportunity to outplay each other on either side, it's a blast and games can be really close and intense. But when you have killers like Spirit or Nurse that don't care about what the survivor's doing and your gameplan boils down to hide or randomly guess (ironically the 'hold W' playstyle you described is the best way to counter Nurse in a chase), it's hardly a good experience.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

She has counterplay until you get zoned. Basically if you're in a good spot, she has plenty of counterplay. If ur stuck in a corner or you get pushed into a corner, ur screwed. I wouldn't mind them reworking maps so you can't get zoned into dead areas as much but oh well.