The problem with hooks

Ghosty123
Ghosty123 Member Posts: 23
edited December 2020 in General Discussions

A problem I have been noticing is having hook dead zones because after a sacrifice the hook for some reason gets destroyed. I never really questioned why this is but all it seems to do is create hook dead zones so I ask why do all hooks not function like basement and stay active after a sacrifice

Comments

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716

Yes, let's also start complaining about how green the grass is

• MythMage
    MythMage Member Posts: 521

Totally thought this was gonna be a post on how bad the hooking mechanic is in the game, but nope.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164
    edited December 2020

Hooks are destroyed after a sacrifice to add an element of strategy into the game. That's why the devs designed them this way; it wasn't an oversight or a whim. The killer has to think ahead and try not to use hooks that will create dead zones in important areas. I've gone against killers who didn't pay attention, used the two hooks nearest the exit gate before the match was over, and because of that they couldn't (despite multiple tries) get me on a hook and I escaped.

If survivors run to areas where there's a hook dead zone (whether it's because of bad RNG or because the hooks there were destroyed), slug. That's how you deal with hook dead zones: slug. Some survivors think it's fun to run to a corner of the map where there are just no hooks because that's how the map was generated, and if that results in them getting slugged to death, well, I hope the four minutes of bleeding out was fun for them.

Pay attention to hook dead zones that exist from the beginning of the match. Pay attention to which hooks you use and try not to create new dead zones in important areas.