I just joined the Bing Bong (Wraith) Bois. Any advice on how to play him?

Wraith was my first main, way back when the game still only had the base Killers and Survivors. I stopped playing him once Hag came out since most of that time I played Survivor, and stopped playing when Legion came out.

I came back with the Executioner release and started playing Killer again, but since the game changed a lot and I knew Wraith wasn't a "top tier" killer, I just sticked to playing Freddy, until today I finally got bored and noticed I couldn't literally play anything else without being endlessly teabagged and made fun of. So, I took my old friend for a spin and... yeah I'm still being teabagged and made fun of but at least I'm having fun :)

I watched Odz tutorial on Wraith but there are still some stuff I'd like to ask, and hear your personal advice. I'm currently Rank 9 (I was Rank 4 until I stopped playing Freddy...) and it's a good time as ever to refine my killer skills and get to learn someone I actually enjoy using.

-When is it a good idea to cloak? I usually stay cloaked to quickly traverse the map using Windstorm add on, uncloak once I find someone, and chase uncloaked. I've tried cloaking during chases but honestly I have no idea how much good it does since it seems survivors always know where I am unless not chasing.

-Is Ruin worth it on this guy? I can't for the love of everything good keep Ruin active for more than 5 minutes, it goes away so quickly that I feel I could be using a better regression perk I might be missing. I'm still only level 20 with this guy and haven't found PGTW on my blood tree.

-Which perks should I be using as "Training Wheels" on this guy until I can finally start delving into more meta territory?

Besides those questions, any words of advice and wisdom you'd be willing to share with this born again bing bonger?

Comments

• musstang62
    musstang62 Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2020

Godspeed on playing the bing bong boi. I love wraith but it is important to note that he is pretty widely considered to be in the bottom 3 killers in the game (if not the worst). Against a good red rank squad, there are going to be matches where you just straight up can't win, no matter how good you are. That goes double if you're not running good add-ons. Wraith has too many exploitable weaknesses. Anyways, I'll try to cover some basics here, so I'm sure there's some cross-over with Otz's video. I'd definitely defer to him on any points. I've been to rank one as a killer and have played Wraith at red ranks (I'd play him a lot more if he would get a large buff already), so I'm by no means an expert but I think I can still offer some good advice

Add-ons

With Wraith, he is probably the most add-on dependent killer (maybe with the exception of trapper). So you'll want to stock up on add-ons and always be running something. Any wind storm is great, and borderline necessary for map pressure. The coxcombed clapper is great, obviously, but bone clapper is a good replacement that's more common. All-seeing purple add-on is fantastic, as it pretty much removes any possible stealth counterplay. That one is probably my favorite add-on because it's just really fun to play with, and also because I hate blendettes. Swift hunt is also good in general for chases. There's a green add-on as well that essentially gives you sloppy butcher for free (can't remember the name), so that's helpful as well. The brown "Ghost" add-on is surprisingly good

Perks

As far as perks go, ruin + undying + tinkerer is good on pretty much any killer, and that goes for Wraith as well. Same for BBQ. Sloppy butcher + nurse's calling can be a solid combo if you're going with hit and run strategies. Thana isn't terrible for him. Make your choice can also be viable with wraith. If you only have ruin and not undying as well, I'd recommend pop and/or corrupt for slowdown instead. Ruin is great when it's up but without undying, it's pretty much useless because it's going to die in under 2 minutes. All that said, enduring + spirit fury can be a really solid combo for him if you're looking for chase perks. You could also run enduring alone, but I wouldn't recommend running spirit fury unless you have it paired with enduring. Wraith doesn't really have any power in chase (his strength is getting the initial drop on survivors and securing the first hit), so chase perks can be useful for him

As far as training wheel perks go, I'm not sure there really are any that aren't pretty much meta for him. Wraith doesn't have trouble FINDING anyone, he just has trouble downing them. So detection perks generally aren't needed as much as slowdown or chase perks for him (maybe with the exception of nurse's calling). If you don't have many perks unlocked for him, I'd just keep an eye out for any slowdown or chase perks. And remember that if you don't have sloppy butcher and/or don't have room for it in your build, you can always run the mangled status add-on and pretty much have sloppy butcher as your 5th perk, you'll just have to get hits right after uncloaking, but you should be getting those anyways

Playstyle

Hit and run can be solid for him, but if you're playing more traditionally, I'd just say to keep in mind that:

• You can use your power to close the distance with a survivor if they're holding W and/or using sprint burst. Also probably a good idea to use your power to catch up after the initial hit, particularly if running windstorm. So ideally, the chase would go like this: Uncloak, hit, cloak, catch up, uncloak, down and hook. Just know that your power is probably not going to immediately get you that second hit, as survivors can use windows and pallets muuuuuch faster than he can uncloak. Your power WILL help you close the gap though, which is not nothing. You'll just likely have to seal the deal at a pallet loop
    • Definitely use bodyblocking to your advantage. If you can bodyblock a window or a pallet, that's really the only way you're gunna be able to secure hits in certain situations, so don't be afraid to do that
    • I wouldn't recommend playing like this, but you should know that the survivor borrowed time perk is based off of terror radius, and the wraith has none when cloaked (so if someone tries to unhook right in front of the wraith but he is cloaked, borrowed time doesn't activate). Please don't abuse this like some rank 20 wraith players do but just keep in mind if you have a cocky survivor trying to teabag and bodyblock you because they think they have BT, you can smack em down
    • Other than having the ability to rapidly close a large distance in chase, the wraith is pretty much an M1 man with machete. So all of the usual skills of moonwalking and pallet play mindgames that work on 90% of the killer roster will serve wraith well too
    • At red ranks, dead hard is everywhere. A good trick I learned from watching Otz is that you can bait out the dead hard by just tapping the cloak button. Wraith will pretty much look like he's about to swing, so the overwhelming majority of survivors will fall for that bait and use their dead hard. Since you won't have lost any distance by just tapping it, you can then smack them if they just used their dead hard, or smack them if they didn't have it. Either way, great little strategy to get in the habit of doing. You should pretty much assume 100% of survivors are running dead hard in any given match (unless you've already seen them use another exhaustion perk). Probably at least half of them actually are
    • If you're looking for a fun map to play Wraith (or just some place to train up on skills), imo, Hawkins is the best map for him currently. Survivors can't see him coming, and the pallets are very unsafe, so you typically don't need to break them in order to get a hit

Anyways, that's all I've got. Hope that helps!

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Wind storm is borderline mandatory to play the wraith as cloaking normally grants you 11% bonus speed and the weakest wind storm Mud(12%) turns that up to a 23% over doubling your speed bonus while cloaked.

If your going to be using cloak in chases YOU NEED WINDSTORM as its simply better to not cloak and bloodlust without it due to how much distance you loose while uncloaking(You also don't count as being in a chase while cloaked so no Blood Lust while cloaked).

Btw Swift hunt barely reduces your reappearence time because even the most powerful purple one only grants you 12% reduced reappearence time or by .36 seconds... Aka its purely a placebo addon with minimal game play effects.

blink is ok(40-60% disappance time) but mostly pointless due to how fast you cloak(Without a speed penalty mind you) and you'd rather just have addons making your cloak better.

Ghost is fun and can help you mind game at loops.

• Turretcube
    Turretcube Member Posts: 460

Step One: Bing

Step Two: Bong

Step Three: Profit

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

Use his power at small to medium loops, if you can fake out the survivor by going one way then go the other way(like pig's ambush) you can usually get the hit.

Change your play style depending on your addons, if your running "breaking" addons cloak at pallets more right before a survivor drops it that way you can break the pallet faster and get back onto that survivor sooner. If your running movement speed addons go for hit and run's more and use your power to catch up in more situations. If your running uncloaking or recloaking addons simply use your power more in a chase especially at small loops like i first mentioned.