How would you guys make DBD scarier?

Options
QwQw
QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

As big fan of horror I thought this game would be my holy grail but I was disappointed after my first game with how un-scary it was. So, what would you guys change to make dbd bit more thrilling? Personally I would like to see the game reworked to be more stealth oriented, but for very obvious reasons, that's never gonna happen.

Comments

• QwQw
    Options

What would certainly make the game more unsettling. The locker jumpscare on Midwich actually got me pretty good one time.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,285
    Options

For a multiplayer game people potentially play for hundreds or thousands of hours the best application of such is in making maps nice and atmospheric if you ask me. Embrace the fact DBD is more horror-themed than a traditional horror game and give maps a nice and atmospheric look, with details and ambience that adds to it. Aesthetically speaking Midwich is a great example of all of this in my opinion, even though gameplay-wise it leaves a thing or sixty to be desired 😄

I don't really think trying to push it in that direction through gameplay would be too well recieved. When it comes to stealth for example it seems like quite a lot of survivors aren't too fond of it, and at the same time it's not uncommon to see killers dislike looking for survivors being super stealthy either.

• QwQw
    Options

This would be an amazing change, but I think it would alter the game to much for it to be implemented.

• Funguu
    Funguu Member Posts: 88
    Options

I feel like if they wanna make this game scary they've gotta make maps (specifically the outdoor maps) more environmentally dense. Take red forest for instance make it foggy as ######### as in you can't see more than 24 metres and make it so there's trees absolutely everywhere imagine that and now a heartbeat is heading your way and you have no clue which direction the mother ######### is coming from

• QwQw
    Options

I can picture that in my head and it's perfect, Hopefully they do that with some of the map reworks but sadly it doesn't seem like they will.

• QwQw
    Options

Hawkins and The Saloon are the only maps with this kind of gore and sadly both of them suck.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

And again another "How to nerf Survivors"-Thread, which is disguised as a "How to make the game more scary"-Thread. But if someone mentions darker maps, they dont want to make the game more scary anymore...

The game will not be scary after some time of playing. You cant do anything about it, that is just how Horror works. You cannot expect to be scared after watching a Horror Movie for 10 times or after playing a Horror Game 10 times. Being scared of a movie or game goes away pretty quickly if you see it often.

Let alone that more stealth-oriented gameplay would just be boring. I rather chase Survivors than not finding anyone because the game requires them to be hidden to survive.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,081
    Options

More gruesome environment. Like we see the miners trapped by Evan MacMillan. The people crushed by Philip Ojomo. The shack were Max Thompson Jr was trapped and his parents killed. Or maybe environmental damage. Where you can get injured maybe dead and jumpscared if you don't watch your step.

• TheButcher6641
    TheButcher6641 Member Posts: 252
    Options

Why be so negative? They were just asking for other people's thoughts. This has no connection to nerfing survivors.

• freddymybae
    freddymybae Member Posts: 613
    Options

dont nerf killer

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,869
    Options

Not if we got more jump scares. I'm tired of GF already.

• unsafepallet
    unsafepallet Member Posts: 72
    Options

I've seen this argument so many times and it's actually terrible. Yeah desensitization is a thing but having unique experiences each time you play is literally the pull of online multiplayer games; there's a reason I can play smash bros for two years and still have fun playing.

It would be possible for dbd to be scary every time I played if it were pushed in that direction; horror is more than predictable jump scares.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 602
    Options

Yeah more horror would be good. My ideas:

- add some areas to maps which appear darker

- make maps in general a bit darker

- make the killer TRs smaller

- remove the red stain from killers

- make all footsteps louder

- add more disturbing background art like the cow tree/expand on it

- add interactive environments with jump scares

- add other creatures to maps alongside the crows like toads, snakes, and spiders - maybe they also do a jump scare

- bring back the red light bulb from the original killer shack 2016!

- make the maps bloodier

• unsafepallet
    unsafepallet Member Posts: 72
    Options

Generally make gameplay more engaging and encourage different play styles.

If gens took more of your focus away, maps were more detailed, visual/sound clues were slightly less reliable, and chases didn't always go the same way this game would probably be easier to get immersed in.

Once you're immersed you're more susceptible to getting scared.

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379
    Options

You're absolutely right about audio when it comes to horror and scares. Being able to hear a threat but not see or determine its location is one of the ultimate fright and fear-inducing concepts, because it's very hard to fight back or defend against an entity you can't see! Take the movie Insidious for example, that movie does a great job with the demon character who we only occasionally directly see as a dark shadow or silhouette for most of the movie. Once the demon is actually fully revealed later on, it loses much of its scary qualities (though, this isn't merely because it is revealed, the music in that movie had a lot to do with kind of making it all seem like a joke imo).

Anyway, what to do to make DBD scarier?

Audio is a big deal, possibly the biggest - look at Slenderman which has barebones visuals but is plenty stressful to play because of the audio - but for audio to really be appreciated, you'd have to depend on much of the player base wearing headphones or making sure their speakers are turned up to a decent level, otherwise the little creaks, and groans, and other sounds will go unheard.

So, to compensate for that, we also need to up the ante on visuals. Look at Resident Evil 7 - that game has a lot going for it in the both audio and visuals but the visuals really are fantastically detailed and work to enhance the feeling of dread and hopelessness, and make you see things that aren't there (think swaying tree branches casting suspicious looking shadows). Now, obviously, DBD isn't going to achieve that level of detail, but again, you don't need amazing visuals (again, Slenderman), there are small changes we can make like increasing the fog as someone suggested. Both indoor and outdoor maps can be made much darker overall but with brighter, more directed, short range light sources (so, for outside, very dark overall, but a bright moon light that filters nicely through the trees and other map features, and for inside locations, dimly lit lanterns, flickering lights, dark hallways, etc). This, combined with enhanced audio should do very well to increase the scariness imo but, we won't see that level of change in DBD, it'd have to be a sequel.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    Options

I would add mr envy's chase and terror radius music in-game

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    Options

Nothing. This is not a scary game and it never will be.

• M4dBoOmr
    M4dBoOmr Member Posts: 598
    Options

I would be happy if they start with the Notification sounds, why does everything need to be an explosion...

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

Stealth for me is the most boring thing about DBD. I personally think the killers that have that OH CRAP factor such as Billy and Oni are the most fun to go against. Ghostface is the most boring killer to go against for me. He's the Blendette of killers - relies entirely on stealth and they're usually bad at the game.

• DarkMagik
    DarkMagik Member Posts: 822
    Options

That the Map is Darker for survivors or that they cant see too far away like the 16 Meters they can see around them

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

The first suggestion, making the maps darker, is a leading complaint for new map reworks such as Autohaven. Removing the killers redstain is a must. It made sense when people were all new, but going against vets it's a horrible crutch for killer.

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

It's not that they're bad, it's that Ghostie is a universally slow killer. In order to make an approach you have to go the long way every single time or just never use your power, and when his power is active it's nearly useless because there's a delay on breaking you out of it even if you get behind cover. He's often rated at B tier but I'd put him at D against good survivors.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

Because it is always the same. Like, removal of Red Stain or Terror Radius would be fine, but dark Maps not. Because, Horror games are not dark, eh?

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

No, most are indeed bad. Just like most Blendettes are bad. I've literally come across maybe three or four actual good Blendettes in more than 1000 hours in this game. I'm sure there are good Ghostfeces out there, but they're rare.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

Nerf survivor's second chance perks

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

The thing is, this game was scary but the longer you play you won't get scared anymore.

I'm also a big fan of horror games especially fatal frame, silent hill, old RE.

But after getting used to horror stuff you just get used to scares and won't be afraid anymore.

I just don't think dbd is that kind of horror game and will never be.

• LegionOfDumb
    LegionOfDumb Member Posts: 623
    Options

Put an EA logo on it

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,498
    Options

Basically just make the graphics better.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

0.001% chance for a screamer to appear every second, filling up all survivors' screens and playing a very harsh scream

ez

• TheButcher6641
    TheButcher6641 Member Posts: 252
    Options

I mean most horror games do often have dark setting but I agree the last thing we need in dbd is less visibility. Instead I suggested more devices such as pools of blood, guts, dead bodies and other gory implements to boost the feeling of horror.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841
    Options

Make survivor(s) camera switch from third person, to first person. Basically give them Blight's perspective since they're smaller and shorter than most killers.

Imagine walking around a corner and seeing C H O N K Bubba about to smash u

true terror.

• xcrGaming
    xcrGaming Member Posts: 11
    Options

I'm scared of my next ban I'm at 30mins now because of power outages. Maybe to be scarier you could ban us for fixing gens or escaping. I love you behaviour I love you