Hit Validation Feedback

Options
Mandy
Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,532

Server sided hit validation has been in place for a short while now, interested in hearing people's feedback of it. Any unusual hits, video evidence would be good to show plus in game ping if possible.

Comments

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Seems the same as survivor. Smaller killers like Freddy and GF still getting hits that it really feels like they shouldn't. I've had maybe one or two lunges into vauits where I'm clearly hitting through them. I assume thats lag on my end and validation is doing its job. I don't really get those last frame hits through a pallet where I go "should I have got that?" anymore

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

I don’t notice any difference as survivor. I still get situations where I see the killer swing and hear the sound of them whiffing and then I take damage anyway. Still get hit through windows, after pallet drops, etc.

As killer my experience is worse. I have a very good connection, I’m close to the server and my ping is steady, it’s basically always 30-40. And yet I get situations where I clearly hit a survivor in the centre of my screen but the attack goes through them. It feels awful.

I don’t have any video clips because I don’t record while I play, but I’ll try to remember to do that so I have some evidence of what I’m talking about next time I feel inclined to try and struggle through a killer match.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    edited December 2020
    Options

Since I gave this feedback, I've had a string of dodgy hits through pallets (pallet down, killer gets stunned, they then swing, appear on my side of the pallet, hit me, and back on the other side, in the middle of the stun animation) and I don't know if this is because something changed yesterday or if it was just really unlucky.

I also forgot that in the last week, I have had a couple of grabs on me where I'd vaulted a window (that should have been a fast vault but somehow wasn't after running in a straight line) and while running, I was pulled back into a grab.

Edit: I also forgot to add, my ping is consistently 30-40.

Post edited by SunderMun on
  • dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options
  • JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

I grabbed a survivor off a gen today! Sorry I don't have video proof but it really honestly happened.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,532
    Options

I'm sure that never happens (insert sus emote here)...

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

I haven't seen much difference as a survivor, but as killer I've had some really wonky stuff happen. Survivors mysteriously phasing through hits is the biggest wierd bit, that's happened a couple of times in the last few days (basically yesterday and today). Not common by any means, but definitely something that's happened. I've also not seen any difference as Plague, I still get survivors screaming and not getting infected/damaged, which made me big sad because last time hit validation was tested she played perfectly for me. Average 60/70 ping going against players with 20-30. If that's a major factor contributing to my experience I hope it gets changed, because it... Well, kinda doesn't seem fair. But it would explain who I haven't seen any killers lunge and miss as a survivor, since I'm the one with the higher ping (usually).

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

I forgot this was a thing. Nothing really weird or annoying has happened to me lately, either side, and I haven't noticed a big difference. When it first, first got turned on I thought I was doing better at hitting people when they 360 but that might have been my imagination.

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789
    Options

PC - I can't tell you how many times I've hit the vault and not the survivor while they're IN the window. I've hit obstacles behind survivors while they were in the way (no Dead Hard). Hits square on the back of survivors don't register often enough. Grabs off generators are next to useless.

• Teacyn
    Teacyn Member Posts: 93
    Options

I didn't think to mention it earlier, but yeah I've basically been completely unable to do grabs. Every time I look like I'm about to get it, it starts the grab anim, then freezes me in place, and then the survivor peels off unharmed. It sucks.

• Caleegi
    Caleegi Member Posts: 410
    Options

I did not even notice...

A few days ago I was hiding behind a tree and a hatchet got thrown and managed to hit me through the centre of the tree. Today, I was going around a rock and the killer hit the rock but somehow hit me? and today I was going through a window and they missed me entirely but somehow downed me.

Usually the problems with hit validations for me personally are to do with rocks, windows and pallets. Unfortunately I have no video as I do not record (since I usually have no reason to) so yeah.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options

My apologies as I don't have any video evidence to upload, but I haven't experienced any change. I'm still encountering hits that are registering after what should have been a missed attack. What I mean by this is that you will clearly see and hear the "whiff" of the attack, but the hit will register anyway after the attack has already played out.

The hit validation also seems to be screwing with dead hard. At times it seems that it's a coin toss between the hit and dead hard. Sometimes dead hard will register, but it won't play out because the hit won the coin toss. Don't know if anyone else has experienced that, but I have on more than one occasion.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited December 2020
    Options

It’s been working great for me on PS5. Hits that looked like they were going to miss because of a random object being nearby actually didn’t. I was shocked that those hits were connecting because I was so used to the game choosing to hit a rock or tree instead. I’ve only had one bad hit where the game hit a window instead of the Survivor vaulting it.

As Survivor, I’ve only had one really bad hit, but I think that might have been a problem with something else (unless Clown now has a short range teleport).

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Feels noticeably worse as a PC Nurse player, especially when the survivors are on a different platform. It seems like if there is any question at all about the hit, the game will lock my lunge onto the nearest object instead of the survivor. Auto-aims onto objects seem to have increased by a ton. My ping is a consistent 40ms to NA East.

Hits from console killers or higher ping killers still look really bad from the survivor perspective. I'm not sure what hit validation is actually doing. You're still at a clear disadvantage for having a good internet connection

• AnnoyedAtTheGame
    AnnoyedAtTheGame Member Posts: 539
    Options

The hits on this game suck.

I'm on ps4 and if I gp up against pc. Half my attakcs miss or even more miss.

The hits ps4 > pc are a joke. The ones that should hit don't connect. Basically us ps4 users are at a disadvantage.

• AnnoyedAtTheGame
    Options

My grabs are missing aswell. I can go up to someone on a gen. Get the grab animation and the survivor has already ran off.

So ive already lost 2 second because of this.

It happenes in windows. Pallet vaults and lockers.

Needs fixing

• AnnoyedAtTheGame
    Options

The last game I was in was with 4 swf on pc. All escaped t bagging me at exit gates. I've disabled cross play for a bit until the hits are sorted out.

I can't keep missing hits like this or grabs.

I missed probably 10 hits in the last game and 1 grab.

The only way i'm re enabling cross play is if i get bored of swf group on ps4.

My hit problem is ps4 > pc

• Dsnooz
    Dsnooz Member Posts: 241
    Options

All these examples in the quote are issues that I still experience. (My ping is a steady 50 through ethernet). Granted from the hit validation video only showed a horizontal distance check, any issues listed below may still be expected to occur.

Survivor

After hit validation has been enabled I haven't seen any long distance hits (the worst case hits). Vaulting windows at T/L structures and shack has become slightly safer. Current awkward hits (listed by frequency):

Vaulting from a higher floor to a lower floor.

Pallet stuns.

Juking the killer to swing the wrong way, I've still been hit when the killer is facing away from me.

Killer

This is where I see hit validation has an impact (Again, steady 50 ping before and after). It feels like I get fewer hits from lunges than I used to. (I used to get lunge hits from an additional meter away). It hasn't really changed the results of the match, I just use lunge attacks in fewer situations than I used to.

Net change for killer: I have to be slightly more precise with lunge attacks

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475
    Options

Favor killers a lot.

No point to play, i just kill myself or dc.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

I've routinely found that when I pull back when just about to hit a survivor, the lunge "connects" and cuts short while the missed attack animation plays and no damage is dealt without me ever letting go of M1.

Generally, it feels like hits should register around .20 of a second sooner than they do, because I now tend to get more hits through windows and such that look like they shouldn't hit (due to final survivor and killer positions across windows and the like) but end up connecting anyway.

• JayDoesGames
    JayDoesGames Member Posts: 264
    edited January 2021
    Options

I honestly think its been turned back off on the quiet cause hits are the same now. I have 40 ping in game and im nearly always getting hit from too far away. There's no way the killer has lower ping than myself as I have the lowest ping of my friends (swf) so whats up with that?

In one of my recent games there was a teleporting ghost face who was able to get hits no problem. In one instance the pallet was completely down, he got stunned, and then i took a hit. This has since happened in other games but the killer wasnt anywere near as laggy.

Post edited by JayDoesGames on
  • Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

A little late but this game took place on December 10th.

• AnnoyedAtTheGame
    Options

When is ps4 to pc going to get sorted?

The pc is miles in front of the ps4 users. The ps4 is at a constant disadvantage when vs pc users.

Sort this out.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    edited January 2021
    Options

My friend:

Me:

Killer was a russian in EU servers

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475
    Options
  • SquillDBD
    SquillDBD Member Posts: 163
    Options

If I'm being honests both of those hatchets hit. However, from what I've seen hit validiation isn't really doing anything.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

both of those hatchets hit

Hatchet 1:

Hatchet 2:

Both of those hatchets hit.

Both of those hatchets hit.

• SquillDBD
    SquillDBD Member Posts: 163
    Options

They did hit. You're just getting thrown off by the animations. The indications for hatchet hits are very poorly-made because the were originally designed for p2p servers.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

"They did hit"

No. No they did not.

I don't know how many different colours I need to circle them in to show you that those hatchets and my character model did not connect.