Stop using rank as the only way to punish griefing!

The developer's dependency on the ranking system as punishment for bad play is abysmal. Players who ragequit (or pseudo-ragequit by instantly rushing their first hook and not struggling) take a derank so simple that it's pointless (especially as it's much easier to rank a survivor up than a killer, by miles).

Killers who are intent to grief games by A: Slugging everyone just so they can not play the game (And I mean specifically slugging all living players, not the actual strategy of slugging a person to get another nearby kill, which is valid) or B: Just facecamping / <16m orbiting hooks, have no real punishment.

"But that means they play low ranks", I hear you say. Nope, that's a moot point because the ranking system is so broken it puts rank 1 survivors with rank 13 killers and vice-versa. Griefing killers can easily sustain around rank 10-12 by facecamping every game in basement, it's only past around rank 9 that the killer ranking becomes exceptionally more difficult.

To top this off, the ranking system is arbitrary. There is no reason to be high rank other than to get the achievements once. There are no rewards, no vanity options, no bonus points or anything. Being high rank has no incentive. You have created a system where all bad behavior is meant to be deterred by a system with no incentives.

facecamping should be punished by some kind of in-game mechanic. Entity stunning a killer or something if they have been too close to a hook for too long when an unhook attempt is made. Stop hiding behind a really hollow ranking system.

Comments

• rats00
    rats00 Member Posts: 194

The issue, as is brought up everytime, is that any mechanic to try and punish killers for face camping is abused by survivors to get easy saves and punish killers for defending a hook. They tried such things in ptb, and survivors just abused it.

The issue is no matter how much you are angry I am by the hook, it doesn't change the fact that I see the claudette in the bush and don't care about the Meg clicking their flashlight and tea bagging by the killer shed.

Its the same when survivors 3 gen themselves and think I'll follow them when they obviously let me hit them so they can sprint burst to the side of the map without gens. I'm not that stupid, I'm not throwing the game so you can loop me around the shack. It's not camping, it's just not throwing the game.

• kaijudane
    kaijudane Member Posts: 139

I don't think the ptb is reliable at all. So many changes get approved when the only real way to test anything is in real time.

• Traslogan
    Traslogan Member Posts: 283

Survivors being nearby should nullify punishment. Punishment still needs to properly exist though

• rats00

Its more to do with how easy it is to abuse, especially since hooks do spawn near gens.

You have to realize the basic fact that it's a punishment. People who are legitimately trying to defend the hook will be punished for playing the game. Legit griefers will not care about any punishment. The harsher the punishment the more innocent players suffer and trolls think its funny.

• rats00

That still wouldn't work because then survivors trying to stealth save will be given away. I will frequently stalk a killer with a survivor on their shoulder and hide close by. If you actually are sneaky it's a good tactic. Survivors shouldn't be given away for actually sneaking successfully.

Punishments rarely work in games. Ask any dm what happens when you keep telling your players no. You would have to fix it to reward both players, and that would involve changing the mechanics like having a hook or down be a fixed time out instead of a potential kill each time.