New Animations/Movement: better or worse?

InsaneCoaster
InsaneCoaster Member Posts: 305
edited January 2021 in Polls

I must admit I wasn't a big fan when I felt the new animations/movement in the PTB, but I'm interested to see if I'm in the minority here or if people feel the same way on the whole.

Edit: I should mention though, I am automatically a bit biased here, because I quite like to use lots of movement techs etc that I've spent time learning, so naturally a change like this wouldn't be something I'd welcome.

New Animations/Movement: better or worse? 56 votes

Better
33%
AdelooSeiko300TapeKnotblue4zion[Deleted User]SkeletalEliteRullisiTaigapichumudkipzmassaniDeadByMittensTotemsCleanserDerZuntorcheezjtzSOMENINJANAMEBruce_AV1ClarityOfWillVenusajadedcaffeinated 19 votes
Worse
48%
MonsterInMyMinddghboy212KillmasterantgnsteaFeryGENAhoyWolfInsaneCoasterCritical_FishLofepramineUndershotstargazer9skinuNemIsLiveboostedsurvivormainTakerBwstedWishIcouldmainmeowzilla69RabituinDistortedDream 27 votes
The same/don't mind
17%
Boosted_DwightFilthyLegionMainAwkward_FiendMadLordJacktheman43Herachi_SakuraTrashmaster3loen_NIGHTMARE_Senyor_Yiff 10 votes
Post edited by InsaneCoaster on

Comments

• boostedsurvivormain
    boostedsurvivormain Member Posts: 399
    Worse

The new downed animations look really good imo. But the standing and injured running animations look really out of place. It's kinda surprising someone looked at these and were like "Yeah, this is perfect"

• InsaneCoaster
    Worse

Yeah, I would agree. Especially with the injured running animation xD

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,687
    Better

I played a few matches and in terms of 360s/moon walking/tbagging/ect. are all doable even if they look at little different. Mechnically it feels the exact same but it looks a little better now. Only thing I think is worse is the idle standing animation. They're standing very casually but like, they're being hunted by a monstrous killer they should be a little hunched / on guard.

• InsaneCoaster
    Worse

Thing is, even though most are doable, the change in animation has definitely made many more difficult. Aaron Techs, certain styles of 360s etc have become really difficult to do which is a bit annoying. I can't tell whether the movement itself has been changed, or if my judgement of what keys to press when has changed due to the changes of the animations that I'm not used to.

Even disregarding the memey stuff though, I don't really think the new animations fulfilled their design goal of being smoother particularly.

• SOMENINJANAME
    SOMENINJANAME Member Posts: 294
    Better

I'm sure plenty of excessively entitled Survivor mains can't tolerate how they can't spin around 6 times per second like the Tasmanian Devil. The running looks much cleaner and realistic. Great job BHVR!

• InsaneCoaster
    Worse

I don't really see the connection between being an "excessively entitled survivor main" and disliking the new movement.

I would disagree on it being realistic. I'm not saying that the old animations were realistic - but the new ones certainly don't feel life-like.

• SOMENINJANAME
    Better

I see the connection. Despite what some people are saying, it is clearly more difficult to "360"(spin like a tornado) now. My friends that only play Survivor think it's the worst thing that could of happened to the game. And it's because it now takes a miniscule amount of strategy to evade a Killer. Even Otz had a look of confusion on his face yesterday when playing the new Survivor mechanics.(Even though he's more of a Killer) I've been hoping this would happen, and it did. Good luck in the fog.

• InsaneCoaster
    Worse

I respect your opinion, but I still don't really understand your point.

It's not as if 360s were overpowered or something in the first place. They're like a last-resort if you have nothing left to work with and just want to delay your down as quickly as possible, and they're not even a consistent strategy.

Plus, I could be slightly wrong with what I stated earlier - if they simply changed the animations and not the movement, then 360s might still be just as possible, it's just that a different technique might be required for them to work again.

I mean it's not the end of the world, I'm not obsessed enough to care a huge deal, I just liked the old movement for it's feeling of freedom and flexibility.

• SOMENINJANAME
    Better

Fair enough. It definitely is less flexible, and they should look more terrified/ in pain.

• InsaneCoaster
  • DeadByMittens
    DeadByMittens Member Posts: 60
    Better

I understand why people don't like it but it's more realistic and they have correct posture. What's missing is more life in them. when they're standing still their hands should be more in front of them, small breathing animations, and small movement if they are standing still for a bit. I could go on for a bit but that's just some of it. Also, some characters need their body's adjusted to the new animation.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 619
    Better

I like them honestly.

• dghboy212
    dghboy212 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2021
    Worse

Killed 360's, this update will kill the game for a lot of survivors, but that is what these devs seem to be going for. Kill off the skilled players and keep the game alive for the killers who want kills handed to them. Sickening.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392
    Better

I love how funny the standing animation looks. Feels like the demogorgon xD I hope they don't change it

• 3loen
    3loen Member Posts: 11
    The same/don't mind

Skilled survivors have way more in their toolkit than 360s, which are already unreliable and a last resort. Even if the new animations "killed" being able to 360 (which as far as I can tell they're just a little more awkward and will just take some getting used to/tweaking your movement), if that was the only thing carrying you in chase then I think that's what's more your problem.

• 3loen
    3loen Member Posts: 11
    The same/don't mind

I don't mind most of the new ones, they're a bit weird but I'm sure we'll get used to them soon and honestly the least of the PTB concerns (HUD). The only one I have a big complaint about is the normal standing & walking. I guess it's more "natural" posture but it doesn't look good and I much prefer the sort of cautious hunch/creep and maybe that motion could just be updated if needed.

• Username0000
    Username0000 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    Worse

I think most of the animations look objectively worse. Very robotic looking.

Standing up perfectly straight doesn't make sense. Why would a survivor hiding from the killer do this? Are the survivors going to start throwing fists in the new update?

Running looks robotic.

Running while injured looks robotic.

Those are the big three for me. Though honestly I don't see why this is being changed anyway. Of all the things in this game that are problematic I've never thought to myself - wow this game needs better animations.

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    Better

It's overall better, i just don't like the standing still animation, that actually lack animation/human like feel ^^