We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

New player have a few questions

Hi, I'm Chococri and I started playing this  game since this past event. 

I'm enjoying it a lot and I have some questions, sorry if those were made before. 

1. What does the luck do in this game? Or how does it affect? You have a better chance to unhook yourself or have less skill checks to appear I guess? It's pretty lame so or actually with it? Not quite sure. 

2. How do you use the keys and the black locks? Are those meant to be for the vault, right? And so, can you literally escape after repairing 2 gens even if everyone is alive? (I think the vault always open in case you fixed 2 gens and you are the last survivor ofc) Also, talking about vaults, they spam in specific spots? Like for example in The Game map they do only in the bottom floor I think? Furthermore today I discovered they can spawn in buildings too, just playing in Myers map. 

3. Best way to counter the hag? I'm loving this game and although my friends whine about all the killers are op, which is not, I think this is a play to win game aka stfu we are noobs l2p git gud and stop crying lmfao, I suffer a lot playing against that killer. Does she have infinite traps? Can she tp as much as she wants in every single trap without even triggering them? Will I ever stop having jumpscares with her traps? Geez! 

4. My favorite killer is Michael, any tip and recommendations? I think he is super fun to play with and I want to get better with him. 

5. What is exactly to be toxic in this game? I see flashlights are the item for toxic people but how so? It's an item in game after all besides you can counter them if you are clever and fast unless there's a pallet in front of you. I see Ochido the youtuber is called a toxic player but since I don't know the basics I have no clue why. 

6. Which perks are the best? Self-care for sure but what else is a must go in your survivor build? I like to play stealthy for gens and yolo runner for baiting and rescuing the killer so, let me know which perks should I equip in both cases. What about the killers? I already suffered from the goddamn BBQ&chilli+Hex Ruin, I get it... 

7. Any recommended youtuber or artist of this fandom to follow? 

8. How often do they release new content (new killer, map, items in the store, etc)? If we have a shirtless David why not a shirtless Myers? Lol jk but I really wish we have it just for the lolz not gonna lie tho. Also, do they release events for halloween, xmas, summer, etc in this game? 

9. Gesturing to bait the unhook means you are being camped or it's not really a thing?

I think that's all for now. Spent 50h in 4 days. I had a blast! It's a very addictive game and since I needed a new and fresh game I feel like I'm gonna play way much more time. I have the urge to become a better player! 

Comments

• IronWolf115
    IronWolf115 Member Posts: 672

Hey there! I can answer a few of these for you but I will leave some of them for people who have more of the in depth statistics.

1. Luck increases your chance to unhook yourself on an attempt, and also raises how likely you are to receive rarer items from chests.

2. Hag can be very intimidating if played correctly but there are some counters to her, firstly she can only have 10 traps active at once, but she has an infinite number of uses of them. These traps can be destroyed by pointing a flashlight at them but they are hard to see. The main way people avoid her traps is to crouch because crouching actually prevents her traps from going off. I recommend getting a perk from Nea Karlsson called Urban Evasion, this allows you to crouch walk faster. Finally The Hags movement speed is actually slower than most killers so she is not very good in chases, use this to your advantage.

3. With Myers you really want to focus on getting into tier 2 of your Evil Within power. After that stalk more survivors and get the meter right to the edge of activation and then when you are right up on a survivor, activate Tier 3 and you will get an instant down attack. Beyond that just play Myers like any other killer, patrol gens while looking for survivors.

4. New killers and survivors are released every 3 months, with a mid-chapter patch halfway through that. However cosmetics are generally released on a weekly basis. There are usually events at key points through the year ( Xmas, Halloween. summer etc. ) and you can get unique cosmetics from them.

Hope this helped with these questions!.

• Kim
    Kim Member Posts: 76
    1.Luck makes it so you have a greater chance to unhook yourself and find better items. 2. By vault you mean the hatch i assume so the skeleton key and dull key can open the hatch before it’s opened when only one survivor remains 3. Flashlights and crouching did you shine a flashlight on a hag trap it will destroy it, and if you crouch over a hag trap you simply won’t trigger it. 4. Get the docter perk monitor and abuse it will make your terror radius smaller so smaller that in tier 1 you don’t have one and in tier 2 it’s still a small terror radius and it increases you FOV which helps with stalking survivors, and my other micheal tip is when your about to get evil within 3 don’t instantly pop it. Wait until your right up against a survivor than pop it for the instant down. 5. Ochido is toxic because he abuses exploits and uses these strategies and like rank 20. I hate flashlights and you can’t really counter them unless you have specific perks to counter them Franklins demise, and overwhelming presence. The reason it’s hard to counter is because the survivor if they know how to blind they will always save with flashlight and blind you at every window and pallet on the map. 6. Survivor build i would say an exhaustion perk the best one is sprint burst the second best survivor perk in the game, urban evasion is really good DS is good as well.7 .Here are some good ones Hybridpanda Theentityslefthand Jendenise and Noob3 they all stream and except for lefty they also post videos. 8. Every 4 months and in between. 9. it doesent really mean anything. Hope this helped if my post looks weird it’s because i’m on mobile. 
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    edited September 2018

@chococri said:
    Hi, I'm Chococri and I started playing this  game since this past event. 

I'm enjoying it a lot and I have some questions, sorry if those were made before. 

1. What does the luck do in this game? Or how does it affect? You have a better chance to unhook yourself or have less skill checks to appear I guess? It's pretty lame so or actually with it? Not quite sure. 

2. How do you use the keys and the black locks? Are those meant to be for the vault, right? And so, can you literally escape after repairing 2 gens even if everyone is alive? (I think the vault always open in case you fixed 2 gens and you are the last survivor ofc) Also, talking about vaults, they spam in specific spots? Like for example in The Game map they do only in the bottom floor I think? Furthermore today I discovered they can spawn in buildings too, just playing in Myers map. 

3. Best way to counter the hag? I'm loving this game and although my friends whine about all the killers are op, which is not, I think this is a play to win game aka stfu we are noobs l2p git gud and stop crying lmfao, I suffer a lot playing against that killer. Does she have infinite traps? Can she tp as much as she wants in every single trap without even triggering them? Will I ever stop having jumpscares with her traps? Geez! 

4. My favorite killer is Michael, any tip and recommendations? I think he is super fun to play with and I want to get better with him. 

5. What is exactly to be toxic in this game? I see flashlights are the item for toxic people but how so? It's an item in game after all besides you can counter them if you are clever and fast unless there's a pallet in front of you. I see Ochido the youtuber is called a toxic player but since I don't know the basics I have no clue why. 

6. Which perks are the best? Self-care for sure but what else is a must go in your survivor build? I like to play stealthy for gens and yolo runner for baiting and rescuing the killer so, let me know which perks should I equip in both cases. What about the killers? I already suffered from the goddamn BBQ&chilli+Hex Ruin, I get it... 

7. Any recommended youtuber or artist of this fandom to follow? 

8. How often do they release new content (new killer, map, items in the store, etc)? If we have a shirtless David why not a shirtless Myers? Lol jk but I really wish we have it just for the lolz not gonna lie tho. Also, do they release events for halloween, xmas, summer, etc in this game? 

9. Gesturing to bait the unhook means you are being camped or it's not really a thing?

I think that's all for now. Spent 50h in 4 days. I had a blast! It's a very addictive game and since I needed a new and fresh game I feel like I'm gonna play way much more time. I have the urge to become a better player! 

1-) Luck increases your chance to unhook yourself. I don't know if it does something else.

2-) You perform vault when you jump over windows. What you mean by vault is the hatch. Keys indeed open the hatch and allow you to escape. However, The hatch doesn't spawn when you repair 2 generators all the time.
    One alive survivor --> 2 generators have to be completed for the hatch
    Two alive survivor --> 3 generators have to be completed for the hatch
    Three alive survivor --> 4 generators have to be completed for the hatch
    Four alive survivor --> 5 generators have to be completed for the hatch

3-) I don't think I can help you with hag. I struggle against her too.

4-) I don't play Myers so I can't give any advice, maybe some else can.

5-) The term 'toxicity' is not really clear tbh. Tbag (crouching repeatedly) flashlight clicks (not to get a save or blind the killer but just to annoy him) are considered toxic. A lot of other people have their own standards but I advice you to not give a crap about it. Just don't tbag.

6-) If you want to have a stealth build, your best bet is urban evasion+ Iron will+ self care+ spine chill. You can change spine chill for other perks too. For killers, BBQ and Hex:Ruin is very helpful but the rest depends on which killer you play. For example, Distressing on doc is very helpful but if you use it on other killers, it will be quite worthless.

7-) I mainly watch streamers on twitch and I would recommend Angrypug, AdmiralBahroo, Jendenise, ZubatLEL, and Hexy. I don't watch youtube much so can't give many examples.

8-) Every three months, a new killer, survivor and a map is being released. They have events for special times. As for shirtless Myers (LOL) I think they take their game very seriously so they are not gonna give these kind of cosmetics I believe.

9-) It is very unreliable. Some people just want to do that while others try to say that they are being camped. It doesn't mean anything to me.

Edit; I didn't know 8 - ) had an emoji LOL 8-)

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Here's a link https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Dead_by_Daylight_Wiki . You can find everything here for the future reference. To counter hag traps just crouch, she's slow 110% movement speed. On Myers try to get monitor and abuse perk. You can grab people off the gens and chests, they are not gonna know what hit them if they are not paying attention. Now...toxicity...you'll learn, like we all did. Dlc comes out every season. For youtubers and twitch I watch HybridPanda, but he doesn't teach you how to play. You can find a lot of videos on youtube by just typing in dead by daylight "character name" guide. Try to look for most recent ones, because - patches. Gestures are not used properly anymore. It used to be like this: raising your arms back and forth - killer is roasting s'mores at the hook, nearly completing the animation every few seconds - it's safe.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,906

It seems like most of your questions have been pretty well answered. I want touch on the Shape though. The Shape is one of my favorite killers because of his diverse builds and play styles. Some perks work especially well with him, for instance Monitor and Abuse (M&A). With M&A at EW 1, you have 0 terror radius. This is particularly awesome if you are using the scratched mirror add on.

If you want a good time with Shape, try using Scratched Mirror add on with either The Game or Lery's Memorial offering. Then run the following perks if you have them. M&A, BBQ (for the blood points, always run BBQ if you have it), Hex Ruin, and NOED (only if you have at rank 3). You will always know where the survivors are, but they won't know where you are. It's super fun. But you don't want to use your Scratched Mirror add ons unless you control the map. It is pretty awful if they can see you coming.

If you want to use the Vanity Mirror, I would recommend pairing it with Dead Rabbit. Use the perks I mentioned previously with the Scratched Mirror build. The nice thing about Vanity Mirror is that you are not nearly as map dependent. This still gives you those great jump scare moments, but you are more effective in a chase.

Another really fun Shape build is Vault Master Myers. With this build you want to run Bamboozle and Fire Up. This is particularly effective with Fragrant Tuft of Hair add on, but that isn't necessary. One of The Shape's features is when you are in EW3, you vault windows faster than normal. Both Fire Up and Bamboozle stack the effect. So when you Hit EW3, especially with 4 stacks of Fire Up, you just fly through windows. It's really fun. Personally, I like to pair all this with Brutal Strength. Pallets and windows being the main 2 defense mechanisms survivors have. With those 3 perks, you can smash pallets and vault windows like no ones business.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

Vs. Hag:
    -Try to get Urban Evasion. It's a great perk against her, though not required. It's a great stealth perk in general, and fantastic for juking (but it's not foolproof!)

-She'll very likely trap major/obvious pallets and windows. You can try checking for traps, but you can't realistically plan your path. Just try to take weird paths. If you trip a trap, sometimes you can keep running while they hesitate to teleport, or drop a pallet and they end up on the wrong side in the end. It's hard either way.

-Hag is slower than average. She needs her traps to be strong.

-Hag has a significantly smaller base terror radius, and many will run Monitor & Abuse, so she can have a tiny terror radius. Keep a visual watch for her, and be careful healing anywhere near her, as this goes well with A Nurse's Calling.

-Try to run through as many traps as possible while she's carrying someone. She can't teleport during this, and sometimes you can do it while they've committed to chasing someone else.

• chococri
    chococri Member Posts: 355

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, by vault I meant the hatch, sorry it was 2am and I was half sleep lol

@IronWolf115 Wow! Awesome! Didnt know about the flashlight. Also, now Im pretty hyped for this Halloween, even more when we are getting a new movie about The Shape :D

@Delfador Oh nice. Definitely spine chill will save your ass againts small terror radius or the Wraith, I like that perk a lot. Btw, I only tbag when I save a mate and I heal him and we are both save so its like a dance for our little triumph. My tbags are usually celebrating something with my mates ha But I saw usually survivors use it to try to trigger you as being the killer or when they are close enough to escape, very childish but I dont mind.

@Dreamnomad Thank you! I like to test different builds with him and I didnt try that one yet. Since he is a pretty disturbing killer, not having a terror radius must be the worst for the survivors LOL

I thought I wouldnt get much attention for being a new player but I see the community is nice. Thanks again to everyone one more time. Its my time to shine againts the hag! Im in rank 11 but I think with your advice I will hit rank 6 soon. I feel it in my bones.

Also, one last question, what is NOED? oh and DC can be use just one time per game, isnt it?

• IronWolf115

@chococri said:
    Thanks for the replies!

@IronWolf115 Wow! Awesome! Didnt know about the flashlight. Also, now Im pretty hyped for this Halloween, even more when we are getting a new movie about The Shape :D

@Delfador Oh nice. Definitely spine chill will save your ass againts small terror radius or the Wraith, I like that perk a lot. Btw, I only tbag when I save a mate and I heal him and we are both save so its like a dance for our little triumph. My tbags are usually celebrating something with my mates ha But I saw usually survivors use it to try to trigger you as being the killer or when they are close enough to escape, very childish but I dont mind.

@Dreamnomad Thank you! I like to test different builds with him and I didnt try that one yet. Since he is a pretty disturbing killer, not having a terror radius must be the worst for the survivors LOL

I thought I wouldnt get much attention for being a new player but I see the community is nice. Thanks again to everyone one more time. Its my time to shine againts the hag! Im in rank 11 but I think with your advice I will hit rank 6 soon. I feel it in my bones.

Also, one last question, what is NOED? oh and DC can be use just one time per game, isnt it?

NOED ( No One Escapes Death ) is a hex perk that, when all of the generators are completed, mkes it so that the killer can down people with just one hit. It can be cleansed though if you can find it or destroy all of the totems around the map before it can trigger.

I presume by DC you actually mean DS ( Decisive Strike ) which yes, it is once per match.

Good luck!

• chococri
    chococri Member Posts: 355

@IronWolf115 said:

@chococri said:
    Thanks for the replies!

NOED ( No One Escapes Death ) is a hex perk that, when all of the generators are completed, mkes it so that the killer can down people with just one hit. It can be cleansed though if you can find it or destroy all of the totems around the map before it can trigger.

I presume by DC you actually mean DS ( Decisive Strike ) which yes, it is once per match.

Good luck!

Oh! I see. Damn it, that perk is very good and I had to suffer from it once, spoiler alert, I died like a noob in the exit XD And yeah I was talking about the Decisive Strike. Thanks again!

• IronWolf115

@chococri said:

@IronWolf115 said:

@chococri said:
    Thanks for the replies!

Good luck!

Oh! I see. Damn it, that perk is very good and I had to suffer from it once, spoiler alert, I died like a noob in the exit XD And yeah I was talking about the Decisive Strike. Thanks again!

Yeah, both NOED and DS are a source of controversy among the community, the more you play, the more you will probably see why.

Nonetheless I hope you have a good time on the game!

• apropos
    apropos Member Posts: 245

@chococri

Just to add to the answers for your first question about luck...

Luck is going to affect anything you do that is based on chance. So, for instance, when repairing a generator, you have a chance to receive a skill check every second, and let's pretend that chance is 15%. If you have a perk that improves your luck by say 5%, then every second while repairing a generator, your chance of receiving a skill check is now 10% rather than 15%.

Similarly, if you had a base chance of 5% to unhook yourself, then perk would give you a 10% chance to unhook yourself, instead. So, some chances will go down, whereas others can go up, however, the effect will always be in your favor. Considering that... luck is a very powerful thing to increase!