Dying on 2nd Hook

My friends keep giving up on second hook because they say that their input always drops. I barely have this problem myself besides early on when I was mashing too fast.

My theories for what's causing them to die is they are either:

A: Mashing too fast

or

B: Not actually hitting the key or something

Any recommendations?

Comments

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

Is his space bar broken or bad wifi because he may just have to start hitting is a bit earlier if bad wifi otherwise idk

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

Depends on what they're playing on. Back when I played on PS4, the tremendous lack of optimization meant that oftentimes, the game would lose frames around the time of second hook, and it wouldn't accept my input.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

Lag spikes seem to cause that issue. It honestly wouldn't hurt the game if you didn't need to press the action button for a second or two in order to stay on the hook.

• Also some people hate doing it and are lazy with the presses. I don't blame them.

It's a dumb mechanic that everyone hates but BHVR is very stubborn about.

A lot of people change the control for it to the scroll wheel on the mouse; as it's easier to do.

• jrinkwater
    jrinkwater Member Posts: 314

Yes, many people lose on 2nd hook due to an input error. It's common. But a lot just give up for whatever reason. It's sad this mechanic still helps groom toxic behavior like this and also just in general.. is quite outdated/silly at this point.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,162

For console there are triggers in the game that cause fps drops that can cause survivors to die while struggling. This post players have listed triggers: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/187573/console-optimization/p1. It's due to the game being poorly optimized for those systems. I've heard players with low end PCs have also experienced fps drops from triggers.

• Skullgrind
    Skullgrind Member Posts: 118

I had this issue on PS4 sometimes where there is a hiccup and input is disrupted. Sometimes it would be in the middle of a struggle sometimes at the start. I haven't seen it on PC but I use the mousewheel binding for struggle now because otherwise my hand cramps up.

• Endorb
    Endorb Member Posts: 151

I find the best way to do it is twice per second; that's a relaxed pace considering that some people mash as fast as they can.