Is spirit really that easy to play ?

Kebek
Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

I personally don't play spirit almost at all and when I do, it depends on the survivors how well I do. Generally, I miss a lot of phase walks and get juked by good survivors pretty often so I wanted to know how do the poeople who keep saying how them playing spirit, is ez win every match, do with her.

Do you actually almost never miss a phase walk or never get juked. Every chase ends seconds after you land the first hit. Always on point each time as phase walking is supposed to be extremely easy to land.

I can understand some of it while using stridor on an injured survivor but a lot of the time, survivor just heal and then you have to correctly predict them without sounds which I find pretty challenging vs good opponent who excels at mindgames, at least from my POV without experience.

Comments

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

Yes, I have Bose headphones and when the audio isn’t bugged it’s really easy to listen for footsteps.

Enable spatial sound and bump the audio quality up to 2 in the configuration file.

Not to mention the stand still “mindgame” that works too often. No other killer gets me downs for literally standing still.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

She’s not Freddy level brain dead but she isn’t hard. It takes getting used to but once you get there(which shouldn’t be long anyway) it becomes easy

get some headphones and your set

• Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357

Well compared to most killers spirit is extremely easy, only killers I'd say are easier would be freddy and myers

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

All killers depend on the survivors.

contrary to popular public opinion neither survivor or killer is braindead to play. Skill matters. For everyone.

Some killers have lower skill floors than others. Spirit is one of them. But she still takes skill to use, so your observation that she depends on the survivors is valid. But that is true for all killers, especially when you aren't particularly good at a killer yet.

As for Spirit, Spirit relies heavily on hearing and prediction. If you aren't good at predicting survivor movement she is a bit easier to juke. This can be offset though with a good sound setup and using perks like Stridor. There are spirits I've gone up against who are extremely good at are almost impossible to juke, and who rarely miss their spirit walk attacks.

As with everything in this game, practice makes perfect and skill matters.

That said Spirit is one of those killers that is easier to get kills with than most. The reason is because she is powerful in chase and she is powerful when it comes to applying map pressure due to high mobility. This has always been true and is still true even after her rework. And when she uses addons that boost her spirit walk she can be very, very oppressive. Like the ones where she barely has any cooldown after a spirit walk.

Spirit takes skill but her skill floor is a lot lower than most other killers.

• Viberum
    Viberum Member Posts: 53

I can’t hear as well nor can I discern where a sound is coming from so no she’s not easy.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

she's not plug and play, you have to adjust to using her in phase and when to phase. It's not as easy as people make it out to be. But, while I never played too much of her, she was a lot easier catching people with than a lot of other killers once I got a little user to her. The map plays a big role in it too sometimes. When it's easier to hide, less likely to have narrow spaces to bump into them in, you'll have to listen harder and do better guesswork on where to pop and catch somebody. Which can be fun actually. I still had a lot more fun on doctor shocking people with distressing loadouts. bgahh aghhh ack I just love the sound of shock treatment in the morning

• Trashmaster
    Trashmaster Member Posts: 357

Absolutely, both doctor and bubba take a lot of timing and when their abilities are used badly, you simply fail to do any damage and the chase basically starts again from the beginning. Spirit has an ability with insane mobility so you're free to ######### up

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited January 2021

and while using her ability and seeing the directions he faced when going into it you can walk around her the other way since she can only hear you and see scratch marks from running or fast actions during the power, and is more likely to check more obvious places you may try and go or hide while using the power. she's still a big pita, but not impossible to hide from or avoid. killers gotta have something to work with or you're gonna be relying on the devs making bots that don't play like they have downs to keep the queues short.

I can imagine them increasing her cd once the power is completely exhausted a little bit, but anything other than that is only gonna further increase survivor queue times. Gotta bring in the "you think you do, but you don't" line here about all these nerfs people want on killers constantly. If you don't instantly dc or hook suicide you get used to things a little bit after a while. Everybody gets the game they deserve in the end. If killers put up with their treatment and with working as an unpaid entertainer for behavior then they deserve to keep being nerfed into misery, and if survivors keep complaining about any decent thing killers manage to get handed to them for once they deserve long queues and spending most of the time not spent in queue eating dirt or being poorly stimulated by the afk wraith or killer facing the corner denying them any chase points and depipping them.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

If you want to determine where sound is coming from don't use headphones.

Get a proper set of 5.1 speakers. Makes a huge difference. When a sound comes from behind you it will literally come from behind you and it's very easy to tell. Headphones rely on digital sound imaging to trick your ears into thinking sound is coming from behind you when in reality it's just left and right. 5.1 speakers have the sound coming exactly where it's supposed to come from.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

People really underestimate the skill required to be a good doctor. He is very time dependent and punishes you for mistiming greatly

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

If sounds were consistent and never bugged then I'd agree she's on the easier side of things but injured survivors legitimately emit no sounds sometimes without Iron Will.

The sound of injured survivors (including foot steps) may vary depending on the map.

There was that injured Jeff the other day who was so loud I could locate him precisely through a wall and a loop.

Meanwhile other survivors emit "nearly" no sounds even while you're chasing them even while in plain line of sight (again without Iron Will involved).

The same applies to other sounds like footsteps, breathing and even slow animation sounds (i.e. slow-vaulting pallets/windows). All of these sounds either vary from match to match or straight up bug out and disappear (especially foot steps).

CONCLUSION:

Spirit is a mechanical killer that's either relatively easy OR difficult to play depending on the quality of sounds. Since sounds are highly inconsistent I consider her a killer of variable difficulty (even though I despise going against her and would love to say she's braindead easy mode).

• Damarus
    Damarus Member Posts: 600

She is really, really, really easy to play. You just need all of the things you would need to perform ok with all of the other killers: headphones, map awareness and the ability to understand who and when to chase. Other than that, aside from being a guessing game that works much more in her favor than it could ever do for survivors, she is extremely easy. Of course, if you lack into those areas, you are going to struggle, but that is true for every killer. If not, well, dinner is served. Especially if you play her with Stridor.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291

If you understand how scratchmarks work and understand the distance a survivor travels while running and walking she's super easy - This knowledge can be gained by playing any killer prior. If you have good headphones you'd have to be trying to do badly as her. The only thing that dictates if she has a disadvantage is if there are sound bugs currently or if the survivor has Iron Will which can be negated with Stridor.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

She isn't the hardest killer but isn't the easiest either like in between. Usually spirit mains will carry stridor to make it a bit easier but low ranked survivors will say she's hard because they don't know how to loop a spirit and of course certain people have said "spirit has no counterplay" thats when "spirit is easy" threads started appearing no one really complained about her until that happened.

• jester20k
    jester20k Member Posts: 827

Spirit and freddy are the most op killers and take no skill. The end.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904
    edited January 2021

No she isn't that easy. People piss and moan about her because her playstyle is kinda far removed from the typical loop fest that DBD is for most other killers.

Basically her mind game comes down to faking out survivors and guesswork, while the survivors have to predict well and use a bit of guesswork too.

This makes even un-mind-gamable trash loops able to play mind games at.

So the often used argument is that it has no counters and its all just random luck. This argument doesn't appreciate that the counter is good observation and prediction.

Most players will tend to repeat their behaviour and are predictable. If you are observant you should be able to adequately predict how she's moving and move in the correct counter. Its hard because the mo of many players is hold W and abuse small hitbox turning. No thought needed.

In the hands of a good player any killer can feel oppressive just as good survivors may feel op, I guess given the player base's inability to adjust their gameplay to spirit then she can be strong even in the hands of a mediocre player.

Does this make her strong overall? I'd say yes... Easy? Easier maybe but you still need to sus her out to do well... Over powered and unbalanced? well that's up for debate.

Does this get a lil easier with stridor? yes but you don't really need it and it can work against you at small loops. Once you get a good ear for it then you can free up that perk slot with something else. Using spirit to focus on game sounds has made me better at finding survivors on other killers.

Is she fun? I say yes as both killer and survivor.

Post edited by pseudechis on
  • GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,866

Well considering how many survivors DC/suicide on hook the moment they see it’s a Spirit, I’d say she’s pretty easy because of that. Git gud.

• GannTM

Don’t even put Spirit and Freddy in the same category of easy. Spirit has a waaaaaaay higher learning curve than Freddy will ever dream of.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571

It depends. I think with Stridor and/or against noisy characters like Jane and Ash without Iron Will she's incredibly easy, probably one of the easiest there is to play. It's when you play against the ones that have Iron Will or play Ace/Felix that she becomes difficult.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Depends on who you compare her to. If you compare her to the nurse, she's easy as hell in comparison. But Trapper or huntress etc....hell naw. You need to focus your ki the entire time you play her.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

You just need a good gaming chair and headset.

• ProfGameAndTalk
    ProfGameAndTalk Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2021
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Honestly, I find it rather hard to pinpoint survivors based on noise despite having a good Sennheiser headset.

Maybe there's a way for me to make the volume louder, or maybe there's a trick to pinpointing survivors. I don't know.

So I would say Spirit is pretty hard to play. But that's only because tracking survivors doesn't come easy to me.

• jester20k
    jester20k Member Posts: 827

Only if you don't have ears. They're both brain dead stupid to play i haven't touched either one in forever because I'm not a sadist.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690

There are things you can do while a Spirit is phasing.

What's important to know is she's completely reliant on sound. You can do tricks like crouching at a pallet to muffle your groans so that she thinks you're further than you really are, making her keep going and lose track of you and wasting her power duration. There are so scratch mark jukes, double vaults, etc. Of course, that's assuming you know she's phasing...

Most survivors, however, don't do this. Many hold W and hope for the best, meaning death. It's also worth mentioning that some add-ons (a.k.a Amulet + MDR) make the speed/duration so long that it honestly doesn't matter what you do.

I wouldn't call Spirit easy, per se. However, she is a killer many don't play particularly well against, mostly because it's impossible to tell what she's doing, something I'm not even going to try to defend.

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

She's hard to learn, but easy to master

• GannTM

Wait so playing a certain character makes you a sadist? My gosh y’all really need to grow a pair if that’s y’all’s mentality I’m sorry.

• Thicc_Boi_Myers
    Thicc_Boi_Myers Member Posts: 52

trapper and hag can down people by standing still. Just saying.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

she hard but I don't use headphones playing this game.

• Hyd
    Hyd Member Posts: 379

I mean, 5.1 might be ideal, but even the cheap $30-$50 pseudo-surround sound headphones get you 90% of the way there.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Spirit is hard if you don't use Stridor, the survivors have Iron Will, you're not ramping up audio to detect footsteps, and you aren't using a full meta build.

• GannTM

I also watched a clip of a Doctor standing still getting a free hit 🤣

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    edited January 2021

Well you can play Spirit in such a way that the survivors literally don't have the chance to juke. If you use your power in really short bursts there's not much a survivor can do about that. I think that's where a lot of bad Spirit players go wrong: phasing for too long around loops and mindgaming themselves when all you have to do is phase a little bit then use the speed burst to catch up to a survivor. She's not a hard killer to play. Her learning curve is all about something you've been doing with every other killer since day 1: listening to survivors. That's it. She's not the easiest, that spot would probably go to Wraith, Freddy or Myers but she's definitely down there.

• C_Frank
    C_Frank Member Posts: 179

Spirit is not ez. But at decent level of skill is very effective because she is a very strong killer and surviviors are potatoes

• Damarus

It's 2021 and there still are kids who say git gud? Like really, extinction only happened for dinosaurs? I guess you never considered that people who DC/suicide do that because they are tired to get the Spirit EVERY SINGLE MATCH. Cause guess what? People are always gonna throw themselves at what is most op/easier to use/both. Now, if you could stop behaving like a 3 year old..

• GannTM

Ok you may be right about me saying git gud lol. I only did it for humor.

Since when do people always play against Spirit every match. I play at red ranks but I get a Spirit in like one out of 20 to 30 matches. How are these people getting Spirit more often?

• Equalizerg
    Equalizerg Member Posts: 6

Spirit is hard to play, but her power is too much. It's unplayable a match vs a good spirit. Need an urgent nerf.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

I think Gannmann makes a good point- I do think Spirit is harder than Freddy or other similar characters, but when you pit her against her other big competition in strength (Nurse), Spirit is extremely easy in comparison. This is especially true when you bring add-ons into the mix, because she has a lot of great add-ons that can just destroy most survivors.

• Damarus

Perhaps it isn't like that anymore, but it used to be so until very recent times. I run into Spirits way more than I would like, too, though I don't ever even consider DCing. But that's how things are. The killers people always play, because they are easy and powerful, some easier/more powerful than others, are Spirit, Freddy, Slinger, PH and we used to have instasaw Billy too (but thankfully he is no more). Overall though, the vast majority are going to be Spirit and Freddy. As much as you will see a lot of DS + UB/DH on survivor side. Though, at least, SOME survivors use DS because they are tired of the constant tunneling.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Spirit without stridor and when survivors use ironwill does take some skill. However stridor spirit takes no skill.

Spirit has major things going for her which take no skill, including:

- Passive phasing (can lead to free hits at small-ish loops).

- Stand still mind game.

Actually phasing takes some knowledge and game awareness, but honestly I think the skill required is overstated.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,763

It took me literally 3 days to consistently 4k as her without using add-ons or RuinDying. She's incredibly easy to play imho, and this is coming from someone who used to main Freddy.