The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Map updates: Better or Worse?

SMitchell8
SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302
edited January 2021 in General Discussions

What's everyone's feelings on the map cosmetics updates? Do you think they look better or are they worse in your opinion?

Macmillan - Miss the blue tint. Map is now grey and pretty bland. Structures look better, but not a fan of the colour pallette.

Wreckers - Slightly better. Colour scheme reminds me of badham a bit. The old version was also meh

Lery's - Better

Badham - Better, but not by much

I've always loved cornfield and I'd be gutted if they went all mcmillan on the classic yellow tint on that map.

Apologies if I missed any other reworked maps, if there are any.

Comments

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

Overall, better, especially Ormondo.

Worse for Trapper because they tremendously reduced the available trapping spots with the new ######### grass.

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 944

ormond was probably the best change

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

Visually I love all of them, gameplay wise, some of the more recent ones feel empty in certain areas which is annoying.

• Anti_Alpha
    Anti_Alpha Member Posts: 63

I honestly hate the reworked versions. MacMillan and Autohaven look incredibly flat because the ground texture is less detailed and weirdly coloured. The new grass looks weird as well.

Autohaven is also filled with unneeded props which makes spotting things from afar harder.

Springwood seems fine to me (seems a bit too dark though). I love the improved skybox.

Gameplay-wise I find the maps to be worse, mainly because of the breakable walls.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Badham and Macmillan look better, except some new trees on Macmillan now have branches sticking out, which makes it impossible to use Billy's chainsaw around it. Lerrys causes massive frame drops (at least on ps4), put a blighted Doc with sloppy butcher on that map and good luck getting more than 5fps. Autohaven maps just look awful now. You can barely make out windows and pallets while running through tiles. On top of that they have invisible walls now at most of the loops where huntress and slinger can't hit you anymore using their power. And lets not forget about breakable walls aka extra pallets at already strong tiles on most of those maps

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

I feel like they all got improved visually, but I totally agree that Macmillan is too bland without the blue hue. I want them to bring that back, had much more atmosphere.

I think Lery's got the strongest rework (visually), that map looks awesome imo.

Excited for more.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,998

Not a single one is better.

Most of them are worse, across the board.

Ormond is the only one that comes close to being improved. The changes on Badham are forgettable. All of the others are worse, including the upcoming ones.

• GraveHunter
    GraveHunter Member Posts: 328
    edited January 2021

I'm afraid I'm 60% negative on the changes.

MacMillan is pretty good, a bit too dark imo.

Autohaven is straight up trash, it's WAY too dark. When I get an Autohaven map, I need to stand up and walk to the tv to even see anything. And many of these maps have complete deadzones that need fixing. It's fine there are less pallets, but at least give a bit more things in defense without making it too strong for survivors. Complete deadzones are not fun.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Overall I like them. And balance wise it's been an eye for an eye when it comes to both sides. Survivors have to deal with dead zones and unsafe pallets. And killers with infinites created by breakable walls and better stealth.

• Sandwich_Jesus
    Sandwich_Jesus Member Posts: 266

Well if the newer maps allowed vlught to bounce off them then I kinda like the new appearance however it feels like they are trying to fill every empty space with something making them feel cluttered.

• aEONoHM
    aEONoHM Member Posts: 208

I love that they were going for a spookier ambience, but it feels like at the last second they dialed it back and we're left with a mix of spooky and bland.

That said, I love the map updates. Maps were getting verrrrrrrrrry stale.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

newer ormond actually felt like it had a lot less in it to me, what I mean is a lot less to make me feel safe creeping around a few parts between the corners sometimes. there was a tractor though that I've seen on it after the update. I don't know if I saw one on it before that, don't remember seeing one there before the update myself.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I see what they are going for, but poor optimization of it is really a big problem for a lot of people.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I loved all of them the only thing i don't like is the grass texture, it seems is the same color across all maps and it just doesnt make sense.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

lerys it was sometimes fun ditching killers if they weren't good at tracking people on the map, but I did kind of feel it got a bit easier doing that after it's updates for some reason. Although I seem to more often stumble across deadends (walled off doors or breakable ones sometimes) in there too now, but because of randomization that could be coincidence. Usually I found those before the killer found me though.

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

You gotta understand that for the survivor mains. The stealth eye does not equal the deadzone increase eye. I don't mind unsafe pallets if they're equal opportunity to play and the killer has good ping. They're undoubtedly better for killer now which isn't a bad thing per se but to say survivors have made equal benefit is not true. Majority doesn't want stealth to be a selling point of the map. It's all about chase. What infinites were created by the way? I've played all of them and bloodlust is enough to catch the God window groaning storehouse for example. Suffocation pit main can be bloodlusted but the centre of that map is still pretty nasty for survivor.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Infinites are subject to the survivors who know how to loop. And the improved stealth is still a boost for survivors if they prefer to or not.

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

Moving on from stealth because that is actually subjective but I guarantee the majority of long time players prefer chase but I digress.

I do want you to elaborate on "infinite". Infinites were back in the day where there was no entity blocker and no bloodlust rendering it impossible to actually hit a survivor. I think you mean good loopable tiles. Because you can buy 30+ seconds and force BL 3 if they commit does not equal infinite. Yes you do lose games if you over commit on these strong tiles but where's the competition if everything was guaranteed for the killer?

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Just played new Ormond as trapper. Looks terrific but my word there's nowhere to leave traps 😅

Basement party still effective though after all these years 😏