"Why not the new hud?" is asked a lot, but why WOULD we want it?

The title pretty much says it all. We've said why it is objectively worse in any measurable way:

Icons are spread to far, Icons are in the way of FOV, less intuitive icons for downed, it adds nothing despite these changes, etc etc.

I am yet to see anyone actually give a reason FOR these changes. The closest I've seen is "its not that bad" or just the blanket "accessibility". Am I missing something? Why is this mandatory change being made if no one has a reason to implement it despite the majority of the community hating it, and the minority being just indifferent?

Comments

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826

The new HUD is really spread out and I get distracted so easily already lol! It might get tweaked and look nice upon release, I trust the devs to listen to a majority of the fanbase and at least work with us on a key element in the game. I do like the 1st/2nd hook counter they have, but as someone who gets tunneled a lot for some reason I am nervous it will just show that I'm the easiest kill!! All we can do is wait and see tho, so let's hope for the best :)!

• JasmineDragon
    JasmineDragon Member Posts: 372

One of the only responses we've seen from it was essentially "if we are doing something you guys hate this bad, its for the health of the game". Idk, "trust us" being their only response, while being aware we hate this, given their track record, scares me heavily

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

Legitimately the best reason to change the HUD that I can think of is just for a refreshing change, or I guess a new look the devs want to go for.

DBD's had the same HUD for its entire existence.

• JasmineDragon

I've been playing dbd since release, so its not like I dont understand wanting to mix things up, but if its clearly hated this much why not make it optional? This is kinda my point exactly, the only reason anyone seems to have is "eh, why not I guess?". And thats like it

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587

I've heard adding new features to the HUD as a reason, and I can see why. The original HUD's boxes would make it a bit iffy to add new UI elements without cluttering the whole thing. Flashing Survivor icons to indicate injury is also overly distracting IMO especially when many Survivors spend a lot of time remaining injured to focus on other stuff.

Still no excuse why all the info is so spread out, though. IMO the most underrated part of the original HUD is how it leaves so much of the top half of the screen completely blank to give you an unimpeded view of the screen. I don't hate the design of the elements, I just want them packed in the bottom of the screen.

• JasmineDragon

Again, the answers are neutral at best, with some drawbacks. I still haven't seen one person or a dev who can justify why this is a better HUD or why they seem its necessary to make this spread and the distracting icons

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

I mean who knows what we're getting, it's all subject to change.

I feel like this is part of a larger thing they're trying to do for DBD, with them revamping all the old maps with new graphics - is basically trying to give the whole game a facelift.

• JasmineDragon

yet the new animations are more broken than the old ones, the grass and ground textures now look unfinished, and they are doing this instead of addressing the same gameplay issues that have been in place since day one... It just seems like they are doing this revamp as a coat of paint over rotted wood that needs to be gutted anyway... to the detriment of literally everyone

• kyogul
    kyogul Member Posts: 491

They explained in the Q&A they wanted more space for upcoming additions they want to add in the HUD. That is their reasoning

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

I remember one of the devs saying somewhere that part of the reason for the new HUD was so they could implement further enhancements that the current HUD won't let them do. Nothing more specific than that, from what I remember, though.

• Mysterynovus
    Mysterynovus Member Posts: 318

That's what I've been hearing for the change as well. Be nice if BHVR would tell us what those new implementations are instead of leading us around.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

I’ve seen multiple times the change is due to future addition they have planned that clashed with the old hud. Could be BS tho

• Another_LegionMain
    Another_LegionMain Member Posts: 399

Its too spaced out, the old is nice and compact. What do they need the space for? Ads "Rank 1 survivors in your area!"?

As long as you can switch to the old GUI I'm fine.

• JasmineDragon

this is so much better. Like what else do they possibly intend on adding?? At what point do they just make a sequel?

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited February 2021

problems with the hud

• too spaced apart even the important info isn't near each other
    • survivor portraits look awful
    • survivor injure icons are awful
    • doesn't fit the feel of a horror game
    • there is unnecessary text at the top with the gens, any player with like an hour of play time can figure out what the gen icon means as well as what to do after gens are done.

it should basically look the same in terms of placement as the current hud, whoever designed the one in the ptb had no idea what the hell they were doing it looked like a basic coding class tried out making a hud for a game and use up as much space for each single thing like amateurs.

Post edited by AChaoticKiller on
  • onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    edited February 2021

There a few thing I dont like

1 how spread out the info is

2 repeated info

3 going to miss the gritty look

4 its hard to tell who's injured healthy

5Looks like the mobile games

What I do like

1 you can tell who's who

That's about it

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340

The new hud is supposed to allow you to change the font size. As someone who has never been able to read the names of the people I am playing with on my tv, I like that. Also I like the basic images for survivors being replaced with actual portraits, as noted earlier that really helps keep track of obsession as killer. The survivor hook counters are also good, the killer one seems useless to me though.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

I will admit that the new HUD has some layout issues that need to be fixed. However, you can actually see who's who. Makes keeping track of who the Obsession is significantly easier. Having a hook counter is pretty nice as well. Also, have you played with the new HUD? I'm not exactly sure how or what they did, but skill checks with the new HUD are super smooth.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,264

There is concern that the new UI will confuse players during the game. For example to check how many generators are left, we need to look up. to check our teammates, we need to look far left.

There may be a situation where we may miss something in the background while we are checking what is happening and planing what to do.

Also, some players may not really notice that someone is injured. Because the mark is redish color around the portrait of the survivor.

It is not clear why the icons are far from each other.

There is controversy over the issue of the hook numbers as well.

Some say it's not a good feature for killers who likes tunneling.

This can be an advantage to the killer and a disadvantage to the survivors.

-

I am very curious to try the new UI and see the new animations.

Maybe it's not really as horrible as players think.

• HawkAyeTheNoo
    HawkAyeTheNoo Member Posts: 731

If they wanted something to update they could have updated daily objectives to be more 2021.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

This way we are one step closer to merging with the mobile verson.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    edited February 2021

The problem with the old HUD wasn't a layout issue. It was an implementation issue cuz they hardcoded everything together into a single Gui. That meant making changes and additions was difficult. So they separated everything in the back end but then decided to separate everything on the front end as well.

I don't know why they had to separate things on the front end other than when they made the game they screwed things up royally on the backend as well as the frontend and it would take too much time and effort to fix. They just slapped on more individual Gui's and called it modular. Then they couldn't format the individual Gui's so close together so they separated them far apart... This is speculation but it's exactly what I've done in the past on half assed university projects.

• JasmineDragon

I'm an older player, play at some of the higher ranks, and I like the additional difficulty. I like having to remember each surv's states and values, it makes me keep myself focused to do well. But unlike the placements and less clear icons, I can actually understand the comfort argument for the hook numbers.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

Players: we need balancing of maps, keys, new objectives and changes in gameplay.

BHVR: hey look the hud looks different now 😁👍🏻

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

The ‘get used to it’ quote put me off. I will be out if the new UI goes through. Not because of how bad it is, but because of the noncommunication and committing to what a majority don’t want/didn’t ask for. It will show me what I need to see if they push it on us.

They could’ve waited to force it on us until one of those ‘future additions’ were added so we could see why we are forced to deal with impeded vision and scattered information. Feels like they’re losing touch with the fan base and how much information we have to take in and process to function well at this game.

• JasmineDragon

its just so anti comfort as well. All of our icons and information has always been out of the way at the bottom of the screen, this is like trying to give us tunnel vision. Scanning on the PTB felt so difficult. This isnt a minor change and the fact they cant see that is ridiculous

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828

it's a downgrade for killers, you got ######### all over the screen, reducing FOV

naturally

• JasmineDragon

i played both on ptb and it sucked. We need to be able to scan our environment. It was worse for killer but still.

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602

And hud changes are going through anyway. Who could have saw this coming🤷

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Not a fan of the new UI (it's too much "mobile-y"), but from what I understood they're pushing it because it supports some stuff they are planning/working on.