We Need to Get Guud!

Options

This game is like a revolving door, old players eventually leave, new players come in, the cycle repeats itself over and over again.

Which is a fine cycle, except we have 1 big problem. Our playerbase is getting weaker at the game over time.

Now before you say, "Nah hell nah I been doing XYZ I started last year I been killin the game you dunno what you're..." pause for a sec....and keep that energy.

I've been playing this game for some time, since pigs release, which honestly isn't a lot of time considering the full age of the game. I'm only 3 years old in DBD and the games been around since 2016.

Back when I first started this game, I was as scrappy as any new player should be, I made tons of mistakes, dumb stupid idiotic mistakes, I didn't know the perks, I didn't know the chase, I didn't know the synergies, I didn't know the counters, I didn't know how to manipulate people in a chase, and as a killer, I didn't even really know my own powers, and I had no idea ######### camping or tunneling was, nor did I know that either tactic hurt my advantage and pressure in the game. I crutched noED, I wasn't aware of the distance of my terror radius, among a myriad of things, I was a baby pig.

But back when I first started, I had the privilege of having amazing people in this community that did nothing but be GUUD, and teach other people how to GIT GUUD. And these weren't just normal people, they'd stream, make guides, run builds to show us that yes....this thing is possible all you have to do is use your brain and do XYZ, they'd show us terminology, they'd teach me what pig was capable of, they'd get on forums and make suggestions about counters and tactics etc. And when I was a baby pig, I'd get on the forums here to whine and complain about something, only to have someone interject and go "Hey you know you could have done XYZ instead of ABC right?" knocking the sense back into me so that I could realize....oh #########.....I'm a noob and eventually take enough knocks on the head to GIT GUUD.

Time goes on, its not 2018 anymore, old players leave, new players join, players who were new 2-3 years ago are now GUUD, after having so many of these mentors and content creators to learn from.

Well..... ^ see that, thats the problem. Old players leave, new players join, but nobody fills the shoes of the old players who used to take noob survivors and killers under their wing to teach them to GIT GUUD. Maybe its a generational thing I don't know....but what I do know is, New baby survivors and killers, or even novice slightly older killers and survivors have over time increased in their whining. The crying from both sides has increased.....the complacency from people like me who should....at this point be passing on their skills to the next gen has increased. And the amount of heavy handed nerfs to quiet the babies down has increased on both sides....the bickering over nonsense when theres a clear answer has increased.

And honestly, looking at it, its sad. Those guys that quit DBD and taught people like me so much aren't coming back....they're gone....for good. They're not gonna stream the game anymore, they're not gonna teach people anymore, they're not gonna spread their knowledge around anymore.

So I wanna ask a favor of the DBD community. And this isn't for the new players, this isn't for the players who think their pro but have only been around a few months. This is for the players who have been here a while, but may stay relatively quiet, either on the forums, or on twitch, or youtube or wherever.

I wanna ask that before you dismiss someone whining or crying over something you clearly know the answer to, before you hit the LOL text and just tell them to GIT GUUD, before you press skip and go "well someones gonna tell this idiot how to counter doctors most basic power" If you like this game, and you like what we were, and what good times we've had, can you do yourself, and the community a favor, and just for a moment, fill that role of the older guys who quit and drop some knowledge? It doesn't have to be anything big, you don't have to fight over it. Just....something tiny to plant that seed, so that eventually people like me 3 years ago, will eventually GIT GUUD. And have less complaints, feel the need to whine less, and generally improve their gameplay to the point where every hurdle is just a new reason to be unconventional and improve instead of whine and rely on the devs to hand hold them until this game becomes.....completely lost from its original direction.....

Call it Amandas Wish or some ######### I dunno........solid.

Comments

• Onyx
    Onyx Member Posts: 214
    Options

My advice for killers: stop running NOED, because you rely on it giving you kills instead of improving your ability to loop. You need to learn that losing is part of the process of getting good at the game. But if you constantly need NOED to feel good about yourself so you can at least get one kill, then it makes you feel entitled to kills and tells you that, no matter how bad you are, this one perk is there to give you pity kills. Do yourself a favor and take it off, you'll thank me later.

For survivors, my advice is learn to prioritize. If you see a gen, start working on it. Don't go finding totems or open chests or whatever. If you see a totem on your way to a gen and you have time, cleanse it. If the killer is good, however, just go find a gen. Healing isn't always the best strategy, you need to learn that sometimes it's better to finish a gen than heal. So next time you see a teammate working on a gen and you are injured, if the gen is almost done, rather than sit there and t-bag, waiting for the teammate to heal you, join them, finish the gen and then you can heal.

Saying that, another major advice I have for survivors is: stop using Self-Care, because you rely on it to feel the safety of being healthy too much. Which, depending on what perks killers have, it might be more of a detriment than helpful. You need to learn to be injured, sometimes for the whole game. That is just how it is. If you want to heal yourself more consistently, bring a medkit. So do yourself a favor and unequip Self-Care, you'll thank me later.

• Venoxxie
    Venoxxie Member Posts: 300
    Options

My general advice:

Stop complaining if you are new to the game (less than 100 or 200 or so hours), you haven't played too long. Play a while longer and play both sides equally. You'll come to realize the pain on both sides and realize what you are complaining about is not something to be complaining about. You're just mad about it because the role you wish to main is too hard for you. The game takes SKILL. No, I'm not saying 'git guud' because no one can expect anyone to be a pro, not even someone like myself who has been playing for 2-3 years - I'm definitely not a pro. However, there are killers out there who can breeze through their matches and get a 4k, even those who don't breeze through still tend to get a 4k. There are also survivors who are pretty smart against most, if not all killers, and they manage to escape. Just because you fail numerous killer matches doesn't mean killers are weak and same for survivors. You win, you lose but just because you're not doing great, reflect on your own skill. Not the perks, items, addons, offerings, or killer being used. I've seen even the weakest killers (characters, not players) get 4ks at red ranks because the person playing the killer knew how to handle it. They knew how to play. Take the time to get used to the game and learn A LOT more before you put in your 2 cents.

Also, don't be toxic. Even if others are toxic to you, break the cycle. You dunno if you are making someone's day/depression/etc worse and you could be the reason someone ends up bullying others, cries in real life, or even harms themselves. Try to have civil conversations and if you don't like what happened in a match just don't say anything and move to the next one. If you wanna defend yourself, fine but have some sense while doing so.

Killer Advice:

I don't play killer much but think of a 3k (not just a 4k) as a win as well. A 2k as average. 1k, well at least you got some points! Rank 1 isn't everything, you do not need to sweat so hard to get that 4k. So what if the last survivor gets the hatch, you still did amazing! If you failed then fail with some dignity. Does game rank really mean that much? Remember, it's not like you're getting a million bucks out of it if you get all 4 kills. While 4 kills isn't wrong to have, just remember you don't NEED it. You won't die without it (like a lot of other killers seem to think, don't sink into that awful mental state).

Survivor Advice:

Meme'ing around and is great and all but if you are in solo queue, think of how your team will feel if you're doing nothing and just throwing yourself to the killer. Remember, the killer decides if the match will be meme-able or not. Not you. If they wanna kill and be ruthless about it they will regardless of what you do. If you're on survivor, you're on a team. Doesn't matter if you queued up solo, there are 3 others who will be with you in the match. Have fun in your own way, yes, but not at the expense of others. Don't make them mad just so you can have fun.

Please, be kind and remember the objective of the game is to survivor and help your team do the same. While you do not have to die for them, help them along as much as you can! Don't leave them on the hook the whole time, if no one else goes for them try to save even if that's not the playstyle you wanna go for! Teammate workin' on a gen? Help them out if there's not already a 2nd person there (as 3-4 on a gen is bad), don't act like you dunno what a generator is.

No t-bagging. You dunno if you're with a baby killer or a pro killer 'til the end of the match.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Options

I mean, the people are still there but as time goes on more people are whining and less people are asking for help, I made a post recently asking for advice and help and all I got was incredibly helpful responses and attitudes (barring learn a better killer which was a bit jarring).

People just don't know where to go in this community for help anymore because of the hostile atmosphere and environment a lot of players and forum posters create, it isn't pleasant and is scary, god knows I wouldn't have known what to do three months ago, it would have taken me way longer to get to grips with the game and be at my current level if someone hadn't taken me under their wing to help me!