Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why is last second switch for survivor still allowed?

So I was waiting in a lobby as killer, I check the profiles of the survivors in the lobby and find out 2 Meg and a Dwight were in a SWF. I decide to play anyway because I couldn't be bothered to wait for another lobby. Just 1 second before the match starts 1 of the Meg in that SWF switches to a full toxic-mode Nea with the classic bright costume and pick hair with a flashlight with the obvious intent to bully low rank killers abusing the SWF ranking system (I just returned after a 3 years break and I am currently playing in green ranks). On top of that, as I discovered at the end, he was the one responsible for us to end up on Ormond using an Ormond offering.

The match starts and, being pretty pissed about that Nea's behaviour, I decide to purposefully tunnel his other 2 friends to death until, after several missed flashlight saves and clicks done with the sole purpose of trying to annoy me, he decides to DC out of the match. After killing the 4th random and seeying the post game chat the Nea writes that I should unistall the game and that he Dc'ed in order to not give me any points. He obviously didn't realized my toxic behaviour was due to his last second switch and I decided to not even reply to him.

Now, I'm not here to discuss about the rampant toxic and shameful state this game has unfortunately been stuck in for years but just to ask why the ######### are survivors still allowed to last second switch into other characters with different equipment while killers to not able to change killer during a lobby anymore? Why did they add this restriction only for killers and not for survivors as well?

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

You can still change your addons, offering and perks though.

and survs would also be able to change perks/items/addons/offerings even if they wouldn’t be able to change the character. There is no difference in survivor chars after all, for Killer the reason for not switching is the killer specific rank that will be used for matchmaking soon.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Because it's required for killer-specific MMR to work in the MMR system, which was a requested feature since long before they even mentioned that they were doing serious work on a MMR system in the first place. There's no similar survivor-specific MMR, and there shouldn't be either as there's no mechanical difference between survivors and that'd just be a free ticket to switch over to getting matched against lower "ranked" opponents at will by doing bad on purpose on some survivors while trying their best on others.

And even though MMR hasn't been driving matchmaking the system has very much remained implemented, gathering data in the background. Presumably to avoid just putting everyone at baseline MMR at the start like the first time the system was tested and to help them develop it further, which made matchmaking exceptionally wacky for many players. As a result killer lock remained required for a system put in the game to work properly, in this case the mostly "inactive" MMR system gathering data.

And just in case someone thinks I'm saying something I'm not, I do personally think there should be a period where survivors can't switch their character so the killer can at least react to it to some extent. Wouldn't even have to be super long, but anything's better than the 6 second no-time-to-react switch.

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

If you're sure they are running swf just use all very rare addons. Since mostly are designed to wreck swf, thats my tactic for it.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

I feel that player was going to be a jerk no matter what skin he was wearing.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608

Most people switching around are spending bloodpoints.

• Clünge
    Clünge Member Posts: 155

So you already decided that player was going to be toxic. You played the match purposefully tunnelling & instigated the toxicity. Bravo. Why are you surprised they took the douche move of disconnecting after that?

Also, the language you are using is incredibly selfish...

"he was the one responsible for us to end up on Ormond using an Ormond offering"

How dare he decide which map you go to!

• Moodyy
    Moodyy Member Posts: 124

people still check profiles in 2021??

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

So they haven't actually implemented the MMR (and have given zero indications as to when that's coming) but left in the part that hamstrings the killer.

So much for "The devs are biased in favour of Killers".

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    edited February 2021

Why is hidden killer spying on survivors before the game still allowed?

You want to remove survivor switching show us the killer in the lobby.

You are checking profiles when you play DBD. I mean what the hell man. Some killers are just absolutely neurotic.

• chadbeastofprey
    chadbeastofprey Member Posts: 437

checking profiles lmaoooo

• MCRYANM
    MCRYANM Member Posts: 12

We all kbow ormonds a bad map for killers and the fact that your calling his language selfish? I feel like you need a dictionary and learn what it means. I wouldve also tunneled especially with a swf. People in a swf are so annoying so why cant the killer be annoying back? Btw douche is also language so idk how ignorant you are but you seem pretty ignorant if you ask me. Also how can you instigate toxicity if it was gonna happen anyway?

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 921

I feel survivors should be allowed to switch until the 15ish second mark. Maybe even 30 seconds.

When "locked" you can only change cosmetics, perks, offering, and addons.

This would still allow some customizing but eliminate people people from suddenly quick-switching from a default Dwight to a P3 Claudette with a key.

• eleventbh
    eleventbh Member Posts: 374

While I agree it's a douche thing to last second switch, I can't really complain about it. Do survivors get to know the killer they're facing off against? No, but killers can see survivors, their profiles if they're on Steam, and the items they bring. Not being able to switch killers because of a non existent MMR system is annoying though.

• Clünge

If you ever face a judge in court, please use that as your defence. Sorry your honour, I had to pull the trigger to start it off because "it was going to happen anyway"

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,189

Being able to see what survivors bring is part of the game. It allows killer to prepare for the match. It has been designed this way since the beginning.

I think few months back, as survivor, you can see what killers you’re facing in lobby by reading the log files. What happened back then is really bad. Every survivors brought the best counter to the killer. Iron will with spirit, calm spirit with doctor, spine chill with ghost face, etc. Some of them even dodged killers they don’t like. It made killer game absolutely horrendous.

• Sand
    Sand Member Posts: 179

Just tunnel the person that switched last second lol

• MCRYANM
    MCRYANM Member Posts: 12

I meant he was gonna be toxic anyway and last i checked this aint a court room this is a game. He was tunneling because that dude was being toxic and in a swf. Swfs can be annoying especially if they're toxic so it shouldn't matter if someone's tunneling or camping. Now i dont think the survivor last minute change should go away but the killer change in a lobby should come back. Also i might use that as my defence now. "Your honour I killed him because he was gonna kill me I knew by how he breathed at me"

• Clünge

You cannot decide someone is going to be toxic BEFORE they even display or conduct an act of toxicity

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

Two reasons.. A) Because survivor queues are incredibly long; so we use that time to buy stuff in the bloodweb on other survivors. Killer queues are instant. B) Because survivors arent individually tracked for MMR; where all killers are individually ranked.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Devs arent biased at all. Proof?

Survivors were the only side recieving nerfs while killers were getting buffed untill mid 2018(thats 2 years since release), even though there were severely broken mechanics killer side that could easily deal with 4 brand new parts AND infinite windows(Seriously, 50% of the killers were able to deal with BNP and infinites through perks alone, not even including addons, you didnt even need addons or perks as a nurse).

Then when killers started getting heavy nerfs around 2018-early 2019, suddenly devs were "survivor sided". After 2 full years of being purely killer sided.

Then after killers were nerfed and survivors gained too much of an upperhand, mid-2019-early 2020, survivors mainly recieved nerfs with some QoL for killers here and there.

Then early 2020(ruin nerf mainly) up untill mid-2020, killers were nerfed.

Face it, devs are never one sided. They will alter the side that has the most issues. What 0.1% of the players do will not be high priority. Iri heads have been untouched since 2016. But only 0.1% of huntress players actively uses that addon. Just as only 0.1% of survivor players will absolutely try to get the most value out of powerful mechanics like DS or toolboxes.

Devs dont side with anyone, they prioritize the most common issues first. Otherwise slugging and iri head huntress would have been reworked back in 2018. DS is a great example of that. It might have been an annoyance in the majority of matches, but it wasnt exactly an issue for most killers. Matches with DS tended to go on equal footing compared to matches without DS(including matches without any obsession, meaning guaranteed no DS). So it wasnt high priority. It was highly requested, but highly requested issues are a second priority to higher priority issues.

Note, this doesnt mean the devs have the same definition of high priority as the players do.

• I_Was_The_Best
    I_Was_The_Best Member Posts: 13

once I did the same against the clown, I just needed to complete the escape mission with the key, but he decided to tunnel me just because I took the key at the last second, in the end he only did -1 because I ran all 5 gens, was it worth it?

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

They're still collecting data behind the scenes. They can't keep refining the system if killers switch around throwing off their data.

As for the OP. So you decided before anything happened they must be toxic and so you were going to beat them to it. Apparently you can't see the irony in how you made your own self fulfilling prophecy.

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

Survivor queues have been instant for the past week ever since patch came out.

• Another_LegionMain
    Another_LegionMain Member Posts: 399

I'd lock switching at the 25 second mark, and you check profiles? Must be nice being on PC.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Idk why people are so scared of bright haired Neas with flashlights. They are almost always the worst player on the team. I haven't seen a single good pink-haired Nea in my 2 years of playing.

Now P3 Neas on the other hand...the ones with the brown shirt and pants with the P3 head. THOSE are usually the crazy good survivors.

• Mugombo
    Mugombo Member Posts: 509

You do realise the survivor they pick is pretty much just a skin? Only difference is the noises they make. It doesn’t change the way they play...

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Keep your cursor hovered over Franklin's if you don't want to deal with keys and lightborn if you want to erase all survivor skill based elements in dead by daylight.

Why do they allow people to kill themselves why do they allow 4 minutes of a player to stand over and prolong the inevitable? Because the game depends on the players having good sportsmanship.

If you follow toxicity with toxicity don't be surprised if it never gets any better for you.

• Ivaldi
    Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

No idea where you're from but for US players on the East Coast between 7pm-2am, Survivor queues literally take 15-20 minutes.

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726

Because of ppl like you i have to hide my hours, and hide my friends list (even tho i dont play recently) ...

soloQ has to play vs what matchmaker gives them but killers are nitpicking vs what they want to play xd and then they are <surprised pikachu face> when most ppl have private profile because killers are looking for easy games

Im playing killer quite a lot especially recently (because Matchmaker is dog ....) never checked profiles (im not that bored with fast killer ques) will i lose 1 per 10 games because i didnt checked 4men swf with high hours? yea (Im wraith and pig main and dont run ruin/pop) but i will easly win 8 next games and 1 will be even (its avg) why would i care about playing 1 or 2 SWF per 10 games when i play vs 4Head soloQ most of the time?

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

There is no penalty for leaving the game on the load screen.

So next time just send them back to the lobby. Tunneling them out just means they'll they extra hard against the next killer they face