Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Why does "The Clown" not have a scary design?

This seems like an interesting question to me and so I wanted to know if they ever said something about it.

I was a little disappointed when the killer was officially shown since it really looked nothing like I expected it. Why did they decide to make him (no offense to my thick boy) fat and not scary like the killer clowns that were running arround at some point in real life scaring people? Wouldn't it make sense to make a killer clown with a scary grin and horrifying look instead of the goofy appearance he has now for a horror game? Are there plans for making a second, scary looking clown?

Answers

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

there are some cosmetics that may help alleviate your concern. In particular I’m thinking of the orange oozy Halloween one. That face is pretty disturbing!

That said, I love your idea of some huge Cheshire Cat grin with big razor-sharp teeth!

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Some people find clowns as they are terrifying enough (Coulrophobia)

and I would say there are definitely cosmetics that make him scary!

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

Freddy lmfao. Looks worse than Quentin imo.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,061

Fat old man clown that cuts off fingers and sucks on them is a thousand times more creepy than a random goon clown with sharp teeth.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited February 2021

His desing is actually great, he looks sordid and malevolent. The first time I saw him my first reaction was repulsion.

Also this.

• Beelzeboop
    Beelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

One of the reasons that clowns are scary is because of the uncanny valley effect.

The Clown isn't very scary in appearance, but he makes up for it with the context that he's in and the behaviors that he displays.

Another aspect is the sheer nausea he induces. He is so unhealthy the he has ######### maggots growing in his skin.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,021

Our Clown is pure evil, just look at his expressions and those soulless blacked-out eyes.

That's scary enough.

• NoxVeno
    NoxVeno Member Posts: 177

John Wayne Gacy was a fat evil clown in real life

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2021

Because coulrophobia is an actual fear, I'm not sure how far they wanted to go with creating a clown killer design. I have a friend who has massive coulrophobia and when she selects clown to level him up for perks she physically has to put something over Clown so she doesn't have to look at him and she's down right terrified to go against him because it's such a massive fear of hers.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

Clowns make me uncomfortable but when I saw that the clown is fat and is a coughing mess I could not take him seriously. Throwing purple gas isnt scary either, the premise of The Clown is creepy especially considering the lore but that does not translate into the gameplay to give any sort of fear.

• I feel like they made him less scary for people with Claurophobia but I'd say he's scary with his new terror radius and skins