Was Victor designed to counter dead hard or was it a mistake?

gendoss
gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

So i'm pretty sure it's impossible to Dead Hard when Victor is pouncing and make him miss. I went against 3 Twins today and I Dead Harded probably a total of 10 times when Victor was pouncing and he hit me every time. It even got to the point where I did the entire animation and he still hit me. Is this because his hitbox was intentionally designed to not care about Dead Hard's i-frames or was it a mistake that the devs didn't make DH an exception when making Victor?

Comments

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563

It could be that his hurtbox stays out longer than dead hard is active like if someone dead hard to early and you hit him and the end of your lunge. Victor would be essentially that.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I think that his pounce lasts longer than Dead Hard, so just mindlessly pushing a button won't cut it. You'll have to aim it off to a 90° angle to the pounce.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Victor was designed to counter chases period lol.

On a serious note, Victor's hitbox does not counter DH. Most likely the player either waited for you to use DH or got lucky with the timing.

• gendoss

Are you sure? Because I genuinely went out of my way just to test it multiple times and I never had a successful DH once. I was being exhausted on the ground every time even when the entire DH went through. I can dodge M1s just fine it's only specifically Victor.

• gendoss

I know. I also went against one yesterday. Aside from that I haven't seen them in weeks, luckily not a lot of people know how to play them well.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

As some of the others have pointed out, Victor's pounce is probably catching you right as Dead Hard ends. Try using Dead Hard at an angle.

• Emeraldwing
    Emeraldwing Member Posts: 43

You encountered three Twins in a single day!? Dude... I haven't seen ONE. Ever.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

That won't work either, his hitbox is so big and so active that it shreds through dead hard no matter what. That's assuming the Victor is just backrevving you, would probably work at a long range if you have good reactions but I've yet to see a Twins player go for any pounce that's longer than a nanometer.

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 512

This isn't unique to Victor.

Demogorgon, Pig and Blight all have powers that can do this too if you don't move out of their lunge trajectory. Dead Hard's invulnerability frames duration is shorter than these attacks, so when they run out you will still be in their hitbox and will be hit regardless.

The way to do it is to not dead hard directly away from the killer in a straight line. Use it at an angle so you are out of their trajectory and you should be good.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I've definitely had people dead hard through my pounces quite a lot, and given that I very rarely miss otherwise (it's really easy to see the beginning of the Dead Hard animation midflight) it really is just a matter of timing it well and aiming it better.

That being said, I do mostly go for midrange pounces because backrevs just... They don't work with my brain. I'll somehow miss a stationary target.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

I main the twins and Victor still downs them when they dead hard. I've reported it, but I get the generic "we'll look into it" response.

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188

victor countered dead hard since he came out, so i thought it was intended to be that broken.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    edited March 2021

Victor counters head hard by design.

Dead Hard isn't a 'parry' so much as a temporary removal of your hurtbox: if an attack 'misses' you in deadhard but has enough frames to last through it it still hurts you. For this to not function that way they would have to do something bonkers like make it so you have a 'reverse hurtbox' where if an attack hits it the attack loses its hitbox, sorta like a fighting game parry where even if an attack is active longer than the parry your still fine after the parry ends.

So Victor is still 'missing' during Dead Hard, they just happen to have some of the most active frames of any attack so the timing on DH is really hard to avoid it.

Obviously that would be very convoluted nonsense and would affect a LOT more than Victor, such as Pig's charge and lead to a LOT of unintentional wackyness like bodyblocking for someone else with it to 'absorb' a hatchet or PH spike.

In addition to the 'DH at an angle' advice, one method to help you vs Victor is to DH INTO the leap. Your moving 'past' him with it and him moving away minimizes the frames their hitbox is in contact with your hurtbox.

• gendoss

This is exactly what I was talking about. No matter how long the dead hard is I never become exhausted from it like it just never happened at all. Even if the entire DH goes through.