Why do survivors insist on healing at the hook?

Options

The majority of them just take it for granted you're gonna heal them there, and few use their brains to think to run off and seek cover. Healing the hook in most cases ends up in another needed hook rescue or a farm. This mentality only ends up adding more pressure to survivors and needs to stop.

Comments

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

It’s the most time efficient way to heal after an unhook

• GravyRobbers85
    GravyRobbers85 Member Posts: 69
    Options

Time constraints. Understood. I'm a rank 7 survivor, but i've always wondered the logic behind it.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,198
    Options

If the killer is away busy with another survivor it's absolutely better to heal at the hook and then immediately go to a gen I'm sick of these people expecting me to waste time running halfway across the map to a dead end corner to heal them , its inefficient and annoying.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I love it when they do that, it means I always know where to find 2 Survivors, right where I hooked the last one. All I gotta do is check each hook after a rescue and BAM! easy pressure on half their team.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Yeah going back to two people who are not doing gens and one is probably in a healthy state is very smart lol. Meanwhile two gens pop in a distance.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

Slug the one being healed, hook the other, go back to the slug, and suddenly I've got the attention of 4 players. Do I risk some gen progress in the meantime? Sure, but not much. Used this very tactic multiple times this week and only ran into one situation where it didn't really work, as I couldn't catch the healer. Every other time at worst it ended with 2 on hooks.

Best one was a game with 2 Neas, 1 Claudette and a jake. I hooked jake, Claudette saved and healed under hook, so I slugged him and hooked Claudette on a hook nearby, went back to my slug in time to catch Nea 1, downed and hooked her. Meanwhile nea 2 goes for the save on Claudette, and I find them both under that hook, so I slug Claudette and chase Nea down. At that point I've got 2 survivors crawling and 1 hooked, while the last one is too busy running from me to help any of them. I wound Nea 2, but it's becoming clear she's the best loop in her team, so I peel off the chase, find poor Jake and rehook him, then go over to Nea 1s hook just in time to stop the save, finally get nea 2 down and hooked, and spent the last of the game looking for Claudette until she bled out.

Had they ran off from the hook to heal either time, I wouldn't have been able to snowball on them, especially as Doc. Would they have won? I have no idea, but as far as I can make out, they lost because they stayed right where I could find them. Efficiency didn't help any. Is it a foolproof tactic? Of course not, no such tactics exist in a multiplayer game.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

It depends. Sometimes at the hook, against a Killer that doesn't tunnel, the hook is the safest place to be. They don't assume you are going to hang out there. More to the point, many Survivors (and I mean MANY) take Spine Chill so they know the Killer isn't on the way. Moreover, if you can see from the HUD that someone else is in a chase, you also have time. Where you heal is dependent on a lot of factors.

Also consider what you just said, "few use their brains to think to RUN off and seek cover." The problem with that is if the Killer is the kind coming right back to the hook, he/she will simply see the red marks and home in on the healers anyway. So if you decide moving off is prudent, walking off is generally the best course of action. Otherwise you undo any good you thought you were going to get out of it.

*In short, healing at the Hook is sometimes the best option, but when it isn't... it is painfully clear.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,539
    Options

A lot of this is situational. I will attempt to heal someone at the hook especially if I'm running We'll Make It even if the killer is returning because it buys them more of a chance to survive - there's nothing worse than a survivor running off, leaving a blood trail and heading for the corner of a map when you could have healed them to full and they would stand more chance to survive. Again though, it depends on the proximity of the killer.

Running off and seeking cover to a lot of players means hiding behind a rock in the corner, which is probably the worst thing you can do because you have nothing to use in a chase, you're leaving a blood trail behind you which is easy for the killer to track and you're also not doing anything beneficial to the whole team.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Options

It's okay if you know the killer is on someone else etc. So long as they don't run to a corner of the map and expect you to follow them there and heal them, I hate that lol.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,474
    Options

A lot of it just depends on the situation. People just have to understand when it's a good time and when it's not.

This all said, once you're healing under the hook it's no longer "tunneling" or "camping" and all is fair game. Be that whether I'm on killer or survivor. I either had the chance to leave and decided to greed the heal or I'm on killer leaving the hook to play "fun" until I notice them greeding it so I come back.

IE no right to complain if it goes bad if you greed for the hook heal in my opinion.

• swager21
    swager21 Member Posts: 1,019
    Options

usually if the killer isnt around or if the other survivor had we'll make it

• MeepLessThan3
    MeepLessThan3 Member Posts: 85
    Options

People often heal under the hook because they expect the killer to have BBQ and Chili or Thrilling Tremors (which a lot run, including myself) and go away to find the survivors we see with it. The Golden rule is wait at least 15 seconds before unhooking. I run We'll Make It as well and get annoyed when people run away.

• Zarr0ch
    Zarr0ch Member Posts: 589
    Options

For me, it's situation and depends on the killer, If the killer is known to come back to the area, I will move off a bit and get behind a wall or something.

If the killer never heads back after an unhook, then underhook healing is more efficient. Depends on the brain power of your teammates a bit to.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

Because if you're playing solo queue then it's time efficient. I myself prefer being healed at the hook or at least close by.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    Options

I want to be healed under the hook bc i have ds. But even without ds i want to be healed as quick as possible.

Most of the times im fully healed before the killer comes back. The person who was hooked knows better where the killer is and is injured and takes the risk.