If this game's so easy then why does it take hundreds of hours for everyone to get competent ?

Options
2»

Comments

• kyogul
    kyogul Member Posts: 491
    Options

I'm responding to you lot at once since the points are similar to varying degrees. Some parts are more so for others so please keep that in mind

The issue with using subjective criteria is that it's more so based on perception and emotion rather than any sort of analysis. No one here has yet to really explain how DBD is not skillful other than compare it to other games which are also similarly not skillful in the grand scheme of things. Simply saying "this game requires mostly game knowledge and not skill" is not a valid argument and is in fact simply not using the word correctly. Skill comes from making good decisions based on knowledge. By this very logic, chess is not skillful because it relies on game knowledge almost entirely rather than some sort of external "skill" people are ambiguously alluding to that for some reason other games like FPS games and fighting games coincidentally don't seem to have either, but real sports do like physical prowess and etc. And I have a feeling you lot are going to be really scared to publicly go around saying a game like chess is not a skillful game, which strikes me as double standards based on your own personal perception

I never said my criteria is objective, but there is a difference between saying DBD does not require skill versus something along the lines of "compared to other games I've played DBD wasn't hard to me". One is acknowledging that their opinion and experience is subjective, the other is being dogmatic and incorrect and that's what I'm calling folly.

My argument was never to try and superimpose my experience. DBD is not the hardest game I've personally played. But I'm not going to sit here and imply it's piss easy like others have in this thread and others regularly do, particularly when it's evidenced by the amount of time people of particular skill calibres take to get to certain skill tiers. Easy games don't require that much time to get good at in casual play. Yet here you all are taking hundreds of hours to get even competent at the game.

As I've seen in this thread, what people deem as skillful definitely appears to be influenced by social perception and/or just based on their emotions since the logic tends to be simply incorrect and contradictory when applied to other games that they would find "skillful" but actually wouldn't be according to their logic as to why DBD isn't skillful, à la chess.

• ManWithALemon
    ManWithALemon Member Posts: 422
    Options

Because the game is easy. Hundreds of hours to become a genuinely good player is nothing compared to other games or pretty much any craft other than video games.