We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

DPI Bug

Options
DrinkingPants
DrinkingPants Member Posts: 15
edited September 2022 in Bug Reporting

Anyone else getting their dpi lowered at the start of the game and resets after you exit dbd? The weird thing is that it randomly lowers the dpi either 2 games in or 4 hours in. I'm using a G203 Logitech, I don't have any button switch activated that changes mouse profile/sens.

Post edited by Mandy on
48 votes

Answered · Last Updated

This appears to be an issue with the Steam Overlay, please switch off the overlay and restart Steam before playing if this issue has affected you. It might also be connected with Steam Beta Client - same advice though, switch off the overlay and restart . Thanks to all for your help in sorting this issue.

Comments

• ZenithZX
    ZenithZX Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yeah, I'm having this issue too. My Mouse is a Corsair RGB Elite. I don't know what the problem is, but it must be the game since my DPI is perfectly fine in every other game I play. This is a very obnoxious bug.

• Morbid
    Morbid Member Posts: 24
    Options

I had that exact issue where I couldn't even click on menu buttons like settings etc. Camera then would just stop responding completely and it always seems to happen in my second game then I need to restart the game.

• Kehken
    Kehken Member Posts: 1
    Options

Care to fix?

• Morbid
    Options

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The only "change" per se was the SBMM for 24 hours but I don't think that included a patch did it?

• Johnagon_Infinity
    Johnagon_Infinity Member Posts: 178
    Options

This is also happening to me. I have a Logitech G403 mouse.

• BeHasU
    BeHasU Member Posts: 830
    Options

I have the same problem

• Johnagon_Infinity
    Options

At first, I went into the user settings .ini file and manually changed my settings. The ini file said the both my killer and survivor's sensitivity's value was 50, so I changed it to 70/60 respectively. This worked until the next time I started the game. All of my driver's are up to date.

• Morbid
    Options

I just tried re installing everything, mouse drivers, game etc. Verifying cache and nothing seems to work. I played 3 matches and it was fine then on the 4th it was back to feeling like my mouse was at 1% of my DPI

• Johnagon_Infinity
    Options

I really do hope this issue is fixed swiftly. Half of my games are unplayable now. I won't even think about touching killer right now.

• PurrFace
    PurrFace Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2021
    Options

Still think its one of the Win 10 updates. Theres nothing that could connect all of us with this issue.

Only problem is why it's so inconsistent. Like if update had broke something then dpi would be like that all the time not after a few games.

Weird as hell.

I doubt that devs will acknowledge this soon so hoping chapter release patch coming in 24hrs somehow will fix this by accident lol

• Morbid
    Options

I feel like more people would be complaining if it was to do with a Win10 update.

• Johnagon_Infinity
    edited March 2021
    Options

**EDIT: It would appear this fix is no working. The bug persists.**

I am hesitant to say I have found a fix, but I will direct everyone to this answer I found on Reddit from a year ago.

"It may be a scaling issue with Windows, my friend experienced something similar.

Right click the game in Steam, and click Properties. On the Local Files tab, click Browse Local Files. This will open the base install directory.

Click the folder called "DeadByDaylight" in the window that opened, then "Binaries" > "Win64". There's a file in there called DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe

Right-click this file, and click Properties. Go to the Compatibility tab, and look for the button called "Change High DPI Settings" (https://prnt.sc/r4p0xv) and click it.

At the bottom of the window that opens, enable "High DPI scaling override". The box below that will have several options, I suggest trying them out in order to see if it resolves your issue. (https://prnt.sc/r4p34y)"

Give that a try and report back with your results.

Here's what I've done, and I think it may have fixed it temporarily. I edited the GameUserSettings.ini found in the "C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor" pathway. I changed the "KillerCameraSensitivity" and "SurvivorCameraSensitivity" values to 60 & 70. You'll need to have hidden files made visible to you. Doing both of these things works for now.

Post edited by Johnagon_Infinity on
  • Morbid
    Options

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work unfortunately. It's definitely a bug within the game.

• WarmingEmbrace
    WarmingEmbrace Member Posts: 25
    Options
  • WarmingEmbrace
    Options

Nope didn't work, this bug renders the game unplayable as killer, really frustrating. I'm surprised this just appeared out of nowhere.

• Johnagon_Infinity
    Options

It appears the fix I proposed isn't working. That's a shame. In attempt to provide an approximation of when the issue began to occur, it did not happen to me before they rolled out the new "skill-based match making" test.

• InsaneCoaster
    InsaneCoaster Member Posts: 305
    Options

Same here. Inconsistent and very irritating problem. I'm using a SteelSeries Rival 110 on Windows 10, but based on what everyone has been saying, it definitely seems to be a game problem.

• SH4GGY
    SH4GGY Member Posts: 4
    Options

Same problem here. After few matches my dpi goes super low and changing it with steelseries engine 3 doesnt affect anything.

• MrSquiggles
    MrSquiggles Member Posts: 12
    Options

Me too, I've only seen it on survivor so far but it is extremely frustrating because it's nearly necessary to DC because of how unplayable the game is when it occurs.

• DrinkingPants
    DrinkingPants Member Posts: 15
    Options
  • WarmingEmbrace
    Options

There's not much to say, when people say the DPI is low they mean it, It's extremely low. Even turning my game sens up to max and my mouse it still appears to be slow, that or it just starts stuttering as if your mouse's laser was broken. The thing i am noticing is that it usually appears after the first match as a killer. It might just take a while to kick in or something. This needs to be fixed Asap.

• WarmingEmbrace
    Options

This time it happened within 12 minutes of me launching the game.

• Morbid
    Options

Log file here. Not really sure how I could capture it on video. It's completely random and sensitivity is extremely low when it appears normal in the settings.

• Chainbane
    Chainbane Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have the same issue and I would not even say it's just a lower DPI because even if I increase the DPI the camera still does not feel smooth as it should be. I also tried everything and I am also concerned about it seeming to appear so randomly. I also just had a game with this strange bug in which I could not turn the camera to the right by any means as it stuttered and stopped. This totally destroys every game you get this bug and since it appears to be unpredictable I am quite frustrated. Hope this gets fixed soon.

• PurrFace
    Options

Yeah, it feels like it sticks to a middle of the screen and its really hard to unstick it. If you play even longer camera just stops responding to any mouse movement and you cant press any buttons in the menu unless you in the middle of alt-tabbing...

• WarmingEmbrace
    edited March 2021
    Options

The only solution i can find for this so far is to quit the game every time you're done with a match and start it over again. You can also test to see if you have the issue by playing the killer tutorial so that you won't have to dc or have a miserable match where you can't control your character.

Edit: Nevermind this time it happened on my first match. Game is literally unplayable.

Post edited by WarmingEmbrace on
  • PurrFace
    Options

@MandyTalk Thanks for acknowledging this problem!

Hope you people figure it out before the next chapter or Lisa's back will be full of daggers 😅

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks for responding to the thread, It's a big relief!

Hope to have more news about it soon

Post edited by Brokenbones on
  • Johnagon_Infinity
    Options

Me, waiting for a fix on this bug like:

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

I just had this with the Twins now. I thought it was unique to them, because when you transition from victor to charlotte the game lowers your camera movement temporarily. Well that kind of happened but right at the start of the trial, the camera panned into Charlotte in a weird way and them my dpi was lowered all trial. This was on plague's map.

• Dizzy1096
    Dizzy1096 Member Posts: 918
    Options

It happened again. Second game. This time twins on yamoaka.

So glad there's a disconnect penalty. I'm now either forced with an escalating timeout or stuck here afk while survivors tbag and fast vault and refuse to end the game.

What a wonderful idea the disconnect penatlly was. Who could have predicted that one of the most buggy games ever made could have had problems like this?

afk by daylight. Do I get banned now for going afk? am I expected to play the game where I can't even use victor at a loop because i cant turn my camera fast enough to attack? or is that the intention? so the swf squads can have fun at the killers expense?

• Arbmos1998
    Arbmos1998 Member Posts: 157
    Options

I too have just experienced this same issue, I genuinely thought it was a potential lag switch. It's definitely DbD that's the issue as I have just gone and tested my mouse on Overwatch, Cold War, Fortnite and Gears 5. No issues in those games.

• Hex_NoNoBAD_LISA
    Hex_NoNoBAD_LISA Member Posts: 1
    Options

Having the same issue. Just started today. Sensitivity setting adjustments do not help. Happened in 3 matches in a row (playing survivor). Outside of the match the mouse works and moves fine but during the match, the camera controls act like they are on the lowest/worst possible settings. It takes like 2-3 sweeps across the mousepad just to turn the camera 270 degrees.

• Johnagon_Infinity
    Options

As of right now, this happens to me so frequently that the game is unplayable. I can't play survivor and loop anyone, and I absolutely can't play killer.

• AdmiralVirtue
    AdmiralVirtue Member Posts: 1
    Options

I also started having the same issue. It started just today. Changing my sensitivity does help a little bit. I have a higher dpi setting that I set it to just to get close to my original dpi. But its still not smooth as it should be like it was previously mentioned. It starts from the very start of the match, never during the middle. My FPS was always constant, I haven't changed any settings or anything. Hope a fix comes soon!

• VaSomething
    VaSomething Member Posts: 1
    Options

This could just be coincidental but I believe I get this bug when I ALT+TAB frequently, like right before the match loads in or something.

Probably not the cause, but I'm just putting it out here.

This discussion has been closed.