New lore mediums?

Options
bummer_bloops
bummer_bloops Member Posts: 27

it’s been apparent for a while now that there’s a massive part of the community of dbd that are more interested in the lore and story itself of the killers, survivors and the entity even more than the actual gameplay part of dbd.

and I’ve just been thinking, why don’t we get some new forms of lore. Yeah, we already have the tomes and memories of the characters. But honestly they just scratch the surface of what could be done with the lore.

Why not get some comics of the game? They could provide more insight to how trials work lore-wise. Or maybe just provide better insights into character stories that could be done better with comics. And this might seem like a bit of a stretch, but why not some animated shorts? We’ve been shown some seriously high quality animations before (pretty much any character reveal, or even the cinematic we see every time we boot up the game) I’m sure it could definitely be done, but with how the flow of the game is done at the moment. It just doesn’t seem like it would happen. Which is definitely disappointing because I feel like it’s a massive missed opportunity, not just for Behaviour but for the people in the community that are fanatically interested in the lore.

Comments

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,743
    Options

Comics would be a good start. Digital first, and then as print maybe.

Issue is, I think, that bhvr might not be interested because at the end of the day the playerbase is too small. And they don't seem interested in doing anything to change that (aka doing anything for gamehealth and variety)

• seeyouinthefog
    seeyouinthefog Member Posts: 2
    Options

I'd kill for a comic series! Even if it was just digital, I think it could be really interesting. That said, writers would need to sit down and hammer out the inconsistencies that currently plague some of the lore first.

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587
    Options

Comics are certainly a solid way to provide some extra storytelling, and to my understanding they're a relatively accessible medium for games studios to get into. Even relatively small stuff like Hollow Knight has managed to get comics.

The issue is more that comics can't just be lore fanservice, and simply retelling stories we already have makes it difficult to justify making the comic. I think the ideal option would be something wrapping up Benedict Baker's storyline, as he's fallen out of favour with BHVR's writing but was a really core part of DbD's plot that could use wrapping up now that the Observer's essentially replaced him.