New Player: Done with the Queues

Kilmeran
Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

As of right now, as a new player, I am about prepared to just shelve Dead by Daylight and move on. While I play both Survivor and Killer to learn the game, I prefer Killer. I bought Dead by Daylight in part to play my favorite killers that I grew-up on: Myers, Freddy, and Leatherface. I know: so did a lot of other folks.

The issue I am having at Rank 20 is that whether the Steam Charts show 30k+ people in the game like it does right now, or it's later at night with only 15k in-game, I cannot get a Lobby as a Rank 20 Killer. By the time I'm waiting 10-15 minutes, I just give up. It's boring, and averaging two matches or so an hour means that Ranking beyond the gray ranks is just too much of a real time commitment. Most of it waiting. And I'll be damned if you have a bad match in any of them and can't even Pip once.

Survivor pops quick. And while I have no issue learning that side of the game, Survivor doesn't have the same fun-factor for me as Killer.

Look, I like DBD a lot. But I would like even more to be able to actually play it as a brand new killer at Rank 20. @not_Queen , I'm only tagging you so Behavior is aware. The low rank, new player lobbies are a killer or Killers. And right now, I don't know if I can stick with the game and keep buying DLCs when I'm stuck in those Ranks forever mainly because Lobbies for Killers take an unreasonable amount of time to pop. Very hard to get better, Pip, and get out of those gray ranks when you can't get Trials to play.

Comments

• Vortexas
    Vortexas Member Posts: 757

If you are on steam ques can vary from Region, and times.

Central US Region tends to get instant ques for killers around afternoon to early evening for example.

Try changing your region.

• Kilmeran

@Vortexas said:

Central US Region tends to get instant ques for killers around afternoon to early evening for example.

Well, I'm new to Steam as well. For 20 years, I mainly played MMOs. I didn't get into PvP type games until Overwatch in 2016. So, how do I change region in Steam? Right now I am defaulted to my east coast, U.S. region (I assume).

• Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293

the problem you are experiencing is one of a design flaw of sorts . If there are 50k people playing and they are half survivor and half killer , then all survivors would get a match 6250 , while 18750 killers will sit in a que . now separate the math by ranks if say the level 20 bracket houses 2k of those survivors and 10k of the killers then the ques would be long to say the least .

• Vortexas

@Kilmeran said:

@Vortexas said:

Well, I'm new to Steam as well. For 20 years, I mainly played MMOs. I didn't get into PvP type games until Overwatch in 2016. So, how do I change region in Steam? Right now I am defaulted to my east coast, U.S. region (I assume).

Use to be easier and doable in-game.

Now you have to change your download region in steam itself to do so.

Start Steam.
    Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads tab.
    Under Download region, select the region that you want.

Make sure you note your orignal Download Region as it could affect download speeds later.

• Vortexas

@Orion said:
    Ranks 20-16 are isolated from the rest, and it's impossible to derank below 15. I recommend waiting until the next rank reset, one week from now.

That could be your issue too!

Just incase the thing I mentioned fails.

If you are still super low rank games can be rough time wise, not difficulty wise.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Tsulan said:

@Orion said:
    Ranks 20-16 are isolated from the rest, and it's impossible to derank below 15. I recommend waiting until the next rank reset, one week from now.

He knows whats up.

Orion knows all and sees all! And yes, I know what you did last summer.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

@Orion said:

@Tsulan said:

@Orion said:

He knows whats up.

Shhh
    That´ll stay our little secret ;)

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    As @Orion already said, it's best to wait for rank reset. This was a change that was made to keep the newer players apart from the veterans because sometimes people would derank and stomp all the new people
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@Kilmeran said:
    As of right now, as a new player, I am about prepared to just shelve Dead by Daylight and move on. While I play both Survivor and Killer to learn the game, I prefer Killer. I bought Dead by Daylight in part to play my favorite killers that I grew-up on: Myers, Freddy, and Leatherface. I know: so did a lot of other folks.

The issue I am having at Rank 20 is that whether the Steam Charts show 30k+ people in the game like it does right now, or it's later at night with only 15k in-game, I cannot get a Lobby as a Rank 20 Killer. By the time I'm waiting 10-15 minutes, I just give up. It's boring, and averaging two matches or so an hour means that Ranking beyond the gray ranks is just too much of a real time commitment. Most of it waiting. And I'll be damned if you have a bad match in any of them and can't even Pip once.

Survivor pops quick. And while I have no issue learning that side of the game, Survivor doesn't have the same fun-factor for me as Killer.

Look, I like DBD a lot. But I would like even more to be able to actually play it as a brand new killer at Rank 20. @not_Queen , I'm only tagging you so Behavior is aware. The low rank, new player lobbies are a killer or Killers. And right now, I don't know if I can stick with the game and keep buying DLCs when I'm stuck in those Ranks forever mainly because Lobbies for Killers take an unreasonable amount of time to pop. Very hard to get better, Pip, and get out of those gray ranks when you can't get Trials to play.

You posted this a few days already.

Im gonna tell you the same again. Queues at rank 20-15 are horrible because you cant derank into these ranksd anymore. Once you leave them queues will become very fast.

As survivor you can SWF with a friend of a lil higher rank, then you get instant games too, as killer you unfortunately have to go through a few games until you get faster matches.

Note that on the 13th, there will be rank reset and you might have faster qeueues too

• slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943
    Orion said:

@Tsulan said:

@Orion said:

He knows whats up.

🤫🤭🤭🤭🤭
  • Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

I'll wait and see what happens after the 13th, and just (yawn) Survivor in the meantime. Unfortunately, if Behavior's low rank/new player queue buffer still results in poor lobby times for me on Killer after reset, then I might just move on to something else.

Shame. I really like DBD and its concept, but I'm not interested in playing a lobby simulator that is just going to make it frustrating to play the actual game and try to get out of these ranks.

We'll see what happens next weekend.

Don't worry, though, fellow forumites: I never post "I'm leaving" threads when/if I do actually leave a game. I just vanish. :)

@Vortexas Thanks for the Stream region instructions. I'm going to try that out.

Post edited by Kilmeran on
  • Vortexas

toss me your steam ID in a PM here and I'll add you when I get off work tonight.

We can do a few rounds. I am a pretty ######### survivor (killer main), but I still get quick games.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@Vortexas How do we PM here? Is that just the comment on your wall thing that anyone can see anyway? :p

• ForsakenLemon
    ForsakenLemon Member Posts: 42

The main issue is with new players is that once you reach rank 15 you cannot get back under it anymore, I expect the game to be pretty dead, I suggest join the Dead by Daylight discord and try and group up with some people

• Kilmeran

@Forsaken I've considered that. I mean, I don't enjoy Survivor nearly as much as Killer, but if I'm going to play Survivor just to be able to play, I might as well join a server, get a SWF group, and just go that way. Can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Is there a straight-up DBD Discord server? I've tried a few of the groups listed in the LFP subforum, but they were either last active in August, or didn't have a lot of English language posts in channels.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,873

Playing on PS4, I can typically get a rank as killer within 3 minutes of making a lobby. Typically doesn't even take that long. Usually, the only times getting killer games is tough for me is right after a new killer is released.

• Kilmeran

@Dreamnomad said:
    Playing on PS4, I can typically get a rank as killer within 3 minutes of making a lobby. Typically doesn't even take that long. Usually, the only times getting killer games is tough for me is right after a new killer is released.

Well, I don't own a console. I'm on PC. :p

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

@Tsulan said:

@Orion said:

He knows whats up.
    The devs created the noob ranks to make it a save place for new players. So veterans can´t depip and bully or stomp them. But in doing this, they messed up the matchmaking for the noob ranks, which results in extremely long queues like yours.

Unfortunately, survivors have found a way to do just this. They just join an SWF with their rank 20 friend and torture low rank killers. Been seeing a lot of my rank 11-14 games filled with multiple rank 2-6 players in each. My wife gave a stab at playing killer at rank 20 and faced 2 rank 6s in her group with 2 rank 20s.

• Kilmeran

@Warlock_2020 , Yep. I've also encountered similar more than once. At this point, they need to do what other Ranked system games have done, and put a cap on the gap, maybe a +3 or +4 rank difference. So, for example, a Rank 6 can SWF with up to a Rank 2, or as low as a Rank 10, friend. But not a Rank 19 friend.

• NextKillerSpongebob
    NextKillerSpongebob Member Posts: 271

@Kilmeran said:

Now imagine that at rank 1. Where there's even less players.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@NextKillerSpongebob Oh, I might be new to the game itself, but I followed and researched it a bit for about a year. I know the changes they made, knew all about tunneling, looping, facecamping, et cetera before ever buying, and all that jazz.

I also fully understand why people derank in this game.

What I can't understand is how, two years after launch and in this market, Behavior still doesn't have an un-ranked mode in the game. I can only assume because un-ranked would have to work on an MMR, even a hidden one. And I'm doubting they really have one in place that's worth talking about, considering how in a SWF, the match is based on the lowest ranked member instead of an average rank of all four survivors (even if some in the match are solo).

It just appears like they went the path of least resistance on matchmaking, and I don't know if that was due to finances, lack of experience, or both.

• Nerex7
    Nerex7 Member Posts: 52
    edited October 2018

There are a lot of problems with the match making these days.

Today, surprisingly, I had instant lobbies. But for what price? I'm living in EU West and most of the people I got into my lobby were either japanese or american, which means their pings were beyond the 250s which is unplayable. So I had to dodge and re-open. I actually gave up after the fifth lobby of only red pings.

Edit: And yes. I was playing killer. In these 5 lobbies, there were actually 20 red pings in total.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@Nerex7 I hear ya. While I've designed games before in the table-top RPG industry, so understand balancing moving parts, I've never been in a position to have to deal with video game matchmaking algorithms. So, I don't know what they can do to fix this mess, I just know that as a new player they need to do something.

I tried again during east coast U.S. prime time (It's only 9:15pm as I type this), and I give-up for tonight. I could go Survivor and play some matches, but I'm just so disenchanted with the game right now, that I'm just going to go blow crap up in Overwatch Quick Play for a few matches, then watch a movie with the wife or something.

I have limited play time on any given night, and some nights none at all. Staring at a lobby queue that refuses to pop, or being forced to play a side that I don't enjoy as much (Survivor), isn't worth it. Especially when getting to Rank 15 Survivor in those much faster queues does absolutely nothing to alleviate my Killer lobby issues.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

@Orion said:

This is the problem. You're suffering from a ridiculously obvious flaw and lapse of foresight from the developers with the rank changes. Once you hit rank 15 it'll be night and day faster for filling lobbies.

The devs seem to hate new players because they keep doing stupid changes like this that screws them the hardest.

• Nerex7
    Nerex7 Member Posts: 52

@Eninya said:

@Orion said:

This is the problem. You're suffering from a ridiculously obvious flaw and lapse of foresight from the developers with the rank changes. Once you hit rank 15 it'll be night and day faster for filling lobbies.

The devs seem to hate new players because they keep doing stupid changes like this that screws them the hardest.

The change actually did nothing to that. The matchmaking will try to find people on their level, which means ranks 16-20 first. After not finding them, it will widen the search radius (which happens after 90 seconds of not finding anyone iirc, the numbers were told in one of the dev streams).

The change that prevents depipping to higher ranks than 15 (namely 16-20) was a pretty good idea actually, as a lot of players were depipping to farm the noobs which made for a horrible experience. There must be some other flaw or bug in the match making right now. The issue has nothing to do with rank. From gray up to red ranks, the problem exists, mainly for killers.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

@Nerex7 said:

@Eninya said:

@Orion said:

The change actually did nothing to that. The matchmaking will try to find people on their level, which means ranks 16-20 first. After not finding them, it will widen the search radius (which happens after 90 seconds of not finding anyone iirc, the numbers were told in one of the dev streams).

The change that prevents depipping to higher ranks than 15 (namely 16-20) was a pretty good idea actually, as a lot of players were depipping to farm the noobs which made for a horrible experience. There must be some other flaw or bug in the match making right now. The issue has nothing to do with rank. From gray up to red ranks, the problem exists, mainly for killers.

Ranking up is inevitable, so this did nothing, since ranks are reset monthly, and it's still easy to de-rank to smash newbies stuck at 15.

However, most of the playerbase is up to 15 if they were any semblance of active prior to this change. However, NEW-NEW players not yet up to rank 15 are straddled with extremely long queues because there's so few players down there.

When I came back after the changes came, I was around rank 18 for taking a lot of time off prior to the change, and it took FOREVER to get back to Rank 15 due to the long queues up to that point. This change hurts new players and does nothing for veterans--good or bad.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@Eninya , Yeah, it really does. Now, I'm all for needing to learn a game. I'm all for being low rank until I learn the game and can rank-up. But when the Lobby times make it impossible to get a match in a fair amount of time in the first place, that means actually learning the game (i.e. by playing) and getting out of those black hole ranks, requires either a lot of hours in a day, or so long on a limited play schedule that one spends an inordinate number of weeks or months playing Lobby Simulator By Daylight instead of Dead by Daylight.

People have told me to play Survivor and learn that side in the meantime. Okay, but in what meantime? Is there anything the Devs can even do about New Killer lobbies? And ranking up a Survivor does exactly jack & squat for my killer Lobbies since the two have separate ranks.

I have no issue learning Survivor and haved played them, but I've no interest in being a Survivor main because Killer lobbies don't pop before Rank 15. I don't enjoy Survivor nearly as much as killer, and bought DBD and the DLCs specifically so I can play Myers, Leatherface, and Freddy: the icons I grew-up watching over and over again. I didn't buy DBD and the DLCs to be a survivor main. For that, I could have just not bought the DLCs and used one of the original four.

Post edited by Kilmeran on
  • Tsulan

@Tsulan said:

@Orion said:

He knows whats up.
    The devs created the noob ranks to make it a save place for new players. So veterans can´t depip and bully or stomp them. But in doing this, they messed up the matchmaking for the noob ranks, which results in extremely long queues like yours.

Unfortunately, survivors have found a way to do just this. They just join an SWF with their rank 20 friend and torture low rank killers. Been seeing a lot of my rank 11-14 games filled with multiple rank 2-6 players in each. My wife gave a stab at playing killer at rank 20 and faced 2 rank 6s in her group with 2 rank 20s.

Yes, they have to change the swf matchmaking. Since survivors abuse it to get easier killers. They should be matched with the highest rank. Not the lowest of the group. 
  • Tsulan
    Nerex7 said:

There are a lot of problems with the match making these days.

Today, surprisingly, I had instant lobbies. But for what price? I'm living in EU West and most of the people I got into my lobby were either japanese or american, which means their pings were beyond the 250s which is unplayable. So I had to dodge and re-open. I actually gave up after the fifth lobby of only red pings.

Edit: And yes. I was playing killer. In these 5 lobbies, there were actually 20 red pings in total.

You can play matches with 250 ping and even beyond. Up until 250 it still plays smooth. Beyond it gets noticeable when there are spikes. 

I sometimes play at unusual hours and get players from all around the world into my lobby. For example, I once had people from NA, Russia, Thailand and Japan in the same lobby. Everyone clicked ready. Wasn't as bad as I expected. 
  • Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@Tsulan said:
    Warlock_2020 said:

@Tsulan said:

@Orion said:

He knows whats up. 

Yes, they have to change the swf matchmaking. Since survivors abuse it to get easier killers. They should be matched with the highest rank. Not the lowest of the group. 

They could also put a cap on the amount of Rank gap that can be matched together. Maybe a +3 or +4 cap. For example, At a +4 cap, a Rank 6 could be in a SWF with someone of up to Rank 2 or as low as Rank 10. But not beyond that. A Rank 2 could SWF with a Rank 1, and with someone as low as Rank 6.

Another option would be to average the total Rank levels of the Survivors and find a Killer of that Rank, but I'm not convinced their system could handle doing that since it would have to be done for both SWF as well as soloQ survivors.

• Kilmeran

@Nerex7 said: The change that prevents depipping to higher ranks than 15 (namely 16-20) was a pretty good idea actually, as a lot of players were depipping to farm the noobs which made for a horrible experience. There must be some other flaw or bug in the match making right now. The issue has nothing to do with rank. From gray up to red ranks, the problem exists, mainly for killers.

I'm wondering if you're right about there being some other bug or flaw. Late last night, my Killer lobbies still wouldn't pop. As a test out of the blue, I went to my 8-year-old's Steam account and launched DBD. His account is a Rank 20 Killer as well. I got Killer lobbies on his account filled within 3-4 minutes.

• Kilmeran

So, after the above mentioned test on my son's DBD account and computer that he plays on, and finding that lobbies do pop for Rank 20 over there, I did an uninstall and reinstall of DBD on my computer, and as of tonight have gotten Killer lobbies working within 1-4 minutes again.

I can only assume something went wrong with the game, and move on to playing. :) .

@MandyTalk , since you're the first Mod that I can remember, if you could lock this thread now, it would be much appreciated. I've managed to solve my issue.

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@Kilmeran said:
    @Warlock_2020 , Yep. I've also encountered similar more than once. At this point, they need to do what other Ranked system games have done, and put a cap on the gap, maybe a +3 or +4 rank difference. So, for example, a Rank 6 can SWF with up to a Rank 2, or as low as a Rank 10, friend. But not a Rank 19 friend.

You know that deranking is a thing?

The ranking system in DBD is a joke if we are honest and EVERYTHING basically has to change before we can get proper ranking systems like other competitive games have.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@Thetruth Like I said, I can't speak for console populations since they don't affect my play. Only numbers that can affect my play and lobbies are those on the Steam Charts.

@DeadByFlashlight Completely agree. There was another thread in the past couple of days by someone who just hit Rank 1 and admitted they still have no idea what they're doing as survivor. They just played, managed to do enough to Pip in trials, and got to Rank 1.

Thread: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/24012/just-got-rank-1-survivor-and-i-still-havent-figured-out-how-to-do-a-chase#latest

Being casual, if they don't do something, I'll eventually hit Rank 1. Well, I won't, because I don't want to. By around Rank 15-10 or so, I plan to do just enough to hover there. I just want to play and have fun. I know there are Rank 1 Steam Achievements and all. I just don't care about them.

• NextKillerSpongebob
    NextKillerSpongebob Member Posts: 271

@Kilmeran said:
    @NextKillerSpongebob Oh, I might be new to the game itself, but I followed and researched it a bit for about a year. I know the changes they made, knew all about tunneling, looping, facecamping, et cetera before ever buying, and all that jazz.

What I can't understand is how, two years after launch and in this market, Behavior still doesn't have an un-ranked mode in the game. I can only assume because un-ranked would have to work on an MMR, even a hidden one. And I'm doubting they really have one in place that's worth talking about, considering how in a SWF, the match is based on the lowest ranked member instead of an average rank of all four survivors (even if some in the match are solo).

It just appears like they went the path of least resistance on matchmaking, and I don't know if that was due to finances, lack of experience, or both.

Unranked would suck. You would have the chance to get a killer that is rank 1 in ranked mode and he could get matches with actual rank 20 survivors. That system would simply suck.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@NextKillerSpongebob said:

@Kilmeran said:

Unranked would suck. You would have the chance to get a killer that is rank 1 in ranked mode and he could get matches with actual rank 20 survivors. That system would simply suck.

Not if Behavior actually used a hidden MMR system for match-making. Which, obvious they do not, or we wouldn't have SWF simply using the lowest Rank in the group to determine match-rank.

But that means that Behavior would have to actually code a workable MMR system, and I doubt they could. I'm sorry, but unranked works in Overwatch, HoTS, and other games. Is it perfect and error free in match-making? Absolutely not. But it would not be as bad as you say, unless that Rank 1 was simply boosted to Rank 1 and actually has very little skill, and thus a low MMR. In which case, it isn't as horrifyingly unbalanced as you might think to face the Rank 20.

As an example, in Overwatch Quick Play I have sometimes absolutely stomped enemy players whose profiles have them as three Competitive Ranks over me. Now, that's not the same as a three-rank difference here. A three-rank difference in Overwatch should be a very large difference in skill level. And I should not have stomped them. Honestly, they should have stomped me.

But their Competitive Rank is determined by SR, a separate system. In Unranked, it's their MMR. Which would indicate that their Comp rank was boosted, as their actual MMR was much lower and they were actually less skilled than I was.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

the problem is, that the devs made it impossible to get worse than rank 15, once you got that, so there are literally no players down there at rank 20.
    they made this change, so there would be no 4 man SWF groups with their 4 lvl 3 meta perks and flashlights trolling a killer who just installed the game and has unlocked one lvl 1 perk so far, since this was a real problem and ppl complained about it (obviously). the work is still in progress, so be patient! i think theyll fix this soon.
    always remember: once past rank 15 and you have access to the full 20k playerbase.

PS: dont let ppl like the first guy tell you, thats because the devs only focus on buffing killers and therefore there is no one playing survivor. this is BS, since, as you will find out sooner or later, survivors are actually the power role of this game, so they needed (and still need) nerfs.

have a great day in the fog!

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@Mister_xD , No worries. A few posts ago, I tagged a mod and asked for them to close this. Guess they don't want to.

What happened was, I could not get lobbies. I went onto my 8-year-old's Steam and DBD account on another computer and tested his Rank 20 Killer. Lobbies popped within 4 minutes.

So, I did a fresh install of DBD on my computer, and since then I have gotten Rank 20 Killer lobbies consistently between 1-4 minutes. So, it seems that I might have actually been bugged or corrupted. So, I've been able to play just fine since then.

The ######### grind just to get bloodpoints to one day get a viable build is another matter, but every game has its flaws.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

@Kilmeran said:
    @Mister_xD , No worries. A few posts ago, I tagged a mod and asked for them to close this. Guess they don't want to.

What happened was, I could not get lobbies. I went onto my 8-year-old's Steam and DBD account on another computer and tested his Rank 20 Killer. Lobbies popped within 4 minutes.

So, I did a fresh install of DBD on my computer, and since then I have gotten Rank 20 Killer lobbies consistently between 1-4 minutes. So, it seems that I might have actually been bugged or corrupted. So, I've been able to play just fine since then.

The [BAD WORD] grind just to get bloodpoints to one day get a viable build is another matter, but every game has its flaws.

alright then, im happy you found a way to fix it ^^
    have fun! <3

• chococri
    chococri Member Posts: 355
    It was so weird because it was a bug... Damn. Well I'm glad you can actually play the game now. Good hunting! Will give you some builds for Michael.