What is each killer’s emotional motivation?

Options
ShamelessPigMain
ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
edited April 2021 in Lore

Some killers, like Spirit and Deathslinger, have very clear motivations and emotional “niches.” Spirit is the embodiment at rage of being wronged, Deathslinger is the embodiment of vengeance-seeking vigilante justice. Nurse is the embodiment of absolutely losing it when you have too much work to do, and plague is the embodiment of excessive devotion (Aka self-righteousness, blind idolatry). Oni is the result of militaristic warrior-worship, probably better described as bloodlust, and Trickster is the attention-seeking Madonna on crack (and what better way to get attention than a first degree murder charge).

But others, like Pig and Wraith, are harder to map. What the hell is pig’s little niche/motivation? Clown’s? It has to be deeper than amusement or plain sadism, surely.

Comments

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,207
    Options

I am not sure about the others, but I can think I can answer for my main.

I believe Freddy's motivation is, simply, revenge. He no longer has his twisted lust, and all that's left if a burning desire for revenge.

As A Nightmare on Elm Street Remake showed us, Freddy went after every single teenager who studied in Badham Preschool years ago, until Nancy and Quentin were the only students left. This fact alone can be characterised as vengeance, but still had his lust because of Nancy, his true obsession.

But after everything goes wrong, I believe Freddy just looses his lust and doesn't care anymore. He just wants to kill the one who wronged him. And he killed Nancy's Mother. And he almost killed Quentin, if it wasn't for the Entity.

And now, in the trials, the survivors are no different from the parents who set him on fire. They are not different from Quentin and Nancy.

They are all his children now.

"You are all my children now" -Freddy Krueger

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,743
    Options

A bit more for the Original Killers:

Trapper: Tortured into submission and obedience (pretty much the same crap his father did to him in a way). Mobile Version cutscene suggests he might be able to break free and fight back at some point?

Wraith: Might be revenge, might have been tortured into submission/bloodlust. New lore suggests he might be thinking he does this to protect others.

Billy: Revenge or self-preservation. some outfits suggest a form of... 'i like it i take it, I suffered enough, I deserve good things' mentality.

Nurse: Original lore suggested she just snapped over witnessing the inhumanities committed by the asylum staff and killed them, then killing the patients in some misguided mercykillings. 'new' lore paints here as a eugenics #########, and it's probably going to get changed to the former again. (thankfully)

Hag: We don't actually know and neither do the devs.

Huntress: Self-preservation

Clown: He's a sadistic bastard

Doctor: Likewise

Spirit: turned into a bloodlusting spirit who can't help but kill. her facial expressions at some points suggest she's aware of what she turned into and doesn't like it.

Legion: What Phasma said.

Plague: likewise

Oni: Pride and being turned into what people saw in him: a violent demon. Might be as aware as Rin of things.

Deathslinger: Revenge for being exploited. There might be a bit of resignation and despair too, seeing his story in his reality very much ended with him giving up and becoming aware of the fact that he's always been exploited and that he now has nothing to keep him going anymore.

Blight: If we go with the 'jekyll & hyde' approach we could argue that Blight is bloodlust and sadistic experiments, while Talbot might be the one running into walls in an attempt to knock blight out and take control again, with the injections being there to subdue talbot

Twins: Self-preservation?

Trickster: See clown and Doc

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    Options

At this point i don't think there is any motivation, they are all just puppets now.

• Darkskies
    Darkskies Member Posts: 1,158
    edited April 2021
    Options

This is just my own personal head cannon regarding The Pig 🐖

I truly feel Amanda feels that the enitity is John and this is a test she has to prove she can finally abide by his rules.

Even though the entity took her on death doesn't mean that she remembers that happening or remembers Jonh dieing.

Even if she did remember I'm sure the enitity will twist it into you failed and she knows Jonh is capable of faking his death and different mind games so may believe it wasn't actually true.

Her last memories could of him telling her that she will be tested as the enitity I'm sure can portray anything into anyone's mind or adapt their mental state to its need. (apart from the shape of course)

It would explain why Amanda is much more dosile and obedient compared to her actions in the films as well.

So either she remembered and feels major guilt for failing her test and sees this as a redemption but she's believes Jonh is alive and or the enitity has changed her memories to suits its needs.

Hopefully you enjoyed my head cannon

🐷❤️

• N0IDEA
    N0IDEA Member Posts: 149
    Options

Hillbilly is paranoic out of everyone and attacks before anything

Pig canonically still believing that she's serving John and testing ppl

• N0IDEA
    N0IDEA Member Posts: 149
    Options

Trickster also do it as an art form, he does music with the survivs screams

• Miles
    Miles Member Posts: 461
    Options
  • EvilCEO
    EvilCEO Member Posts: 1
    Options

Yeah, sidenote on Hag - Obviously, it’s because of the Hex she drew as she was dying that she is the way she is, the hex her grandmother warned her was ancient and turned people into ravenous beasts with endless hunger. But her grandma also says that those with this curse would slowly petrify and into trees if they did not continue to eat human flesh, but they would still be fully aware, trapped souls, starving but can never eat - and at that point they are literally just trees possessed by evil spirits. As you can see in the game The Hag is growing twigs out of her head, and she has cosmetics where her condition/ petrification is getting worse (I think it’s one of her green ones?) one of these cosmetics confirms her curse is turning her into a tree, and the blood of survivors is the only thing pausing/ reversing that process. I like to think that, yes at this point there is nothing left of Lisa Sherwood in The Hag, she is entirely possessed by a demon or a nature spirit like her grandma had said. Whatever she is now - she needs blood and flesh to survive - else she will literally become a tree as her bone and her skin hardens into wood through petrifaction. This is the price she payed to cheat death and kill her captors. So survival and primal instincts are her only motivations now - she has 0 emotional motivation.

• Miles
    Miles Member Posts: 461
    Options

Wraith is most likely just out of his mind. I think its fair to say, if we piece 2 and 2 with his backstory, that the thing at azarov just broke him forever.

• Literallyweezing
    Literallyweezing Member Posts: 88
    Options

The entity uses strong emotions of usually pain to motivate killers.

Spirit and Deathslinger have their need for vengence against them.

Nurse and Wraith have their lifelong instances of pain against them.

Killers like Trapper and Plague are almost groomed into being killers throughout their life.

While others like Clown and Ghostface kill for pleasure.

The entity also can provide things killers don't have access to in their world, Blight has his addiction used against him, Charlotte has Victor brought back to life, and the Legion have an eternity to be with each other while Demo has an endless supply of prey to hunt as it is still an animal.

Some like Bubba and Huntress don't really comprehend where they are and just kill out of fear.

Killers such as Pyramid Head and Michael are able to bypass the entities rules but likely stay as they thrive in the entities realm.