Is DbD streaming unethical?

2»

Comments

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,703

You can probably copyright claim stuff like that if you can prove it's been stolen and get the video taken down, maybe even the money they made off of it. It's just a pain in the ass for a normal person.

I think the only way you'd have a chance of making compensation is if they uploaded the video to say youtube with you in it and you didn't want to be. I imagine I'd be hell and high water to actually get anything out of it besides the video being taken down but you never know.

Twitch I'd say is a different story since it's all donations. No one is making money off of you specifically, they're just having people give them money as they happen to be playing a game.

I think Orion said it best earlier though and that you'd be better off talking to an actual lawyer. Laws differ so widely between countries and states that it's impossible to say what is and isn't illegal and even if it is illegal if you could gain anything from it. I doubt anyone here is an actual lawyer or even studied law so it's all going to be assumptions and educated guesses.

• blackfoxx_x
    blackfoxx_x Member Posts: 68

That's a fair argument. I think twitch should handle implementing a streamer/anonymous mode. It shouldn't be that hard. Streamers should be able to generate content and monetize it, but not at the expense of other players.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited April 2021

Streamer mode is usually handled at the developer level, not on twitch's level - athough they probably have the clout to influence devs into it.

Rust is a great example of a Streamer mode - changes the streamer's name in game to keep people from picking them out in the crowd and targetting them specifically Cyberpunk also has a streamer mode that filters out music with content ID.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Sue them if you think your entitled to compensation. Tell us how that works out for you.

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623

Pretty much sums it up. I swear this community just needs something to complain about at every moment in time.

OP, just play the game and stop trying to create "issues" where there are none.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

I just worry about people who are in a bad headspace that could get sent messages etc from peoples viewers and it could be seriously damaging to them if not deadly.

I honestly believe that at some point in the future twitch will make streamers of multiplayer games blur out other players names if they want to play them on stream to avoid something like this happening and them getting the blame.

It myn't sound extreme but it's a very real issue and shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited April 2021

If you are in a public space you aren't entitled to anything. A match is just as public as a street. There is no ethical issue. It is only an ethical issue if the stream captures something like a mental breakdown, suicide, etc. That is unethical. You are the only one who can expose yourself at all considering everything has privacy filters on profiles anyways.

This isn't a movie project where extras get contacted out, hired and fill a role. You are just a random person that was doing something they intended to do anyways.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited April 2021

Games are live though. And over here in the states it's pretty much understood that public places, you have a reduced expectation of privacy.

Therein lies the problem and is why I told OP to seek an attorney: laws differ from place to place. Hell, in the USA, laws can differ wildly from state to state, even though it's all technically the same country.

We're talking about the legal implications of a Canadian game (played on every continent), initially with a Swedish publisher, being streamed on platforms owned by USA corporations. The only people capable of assessing this are attorneys.

• RoachesDelight
    RoachesDelight Member Posts: 312

Let's be perfectly clear here. You aren't necessary, you do nothing for them and again nobody is there to see you. People watch these streams and videos because the person they are watching has very high skill or they have a likeable personality. With that being said if you read the twitch, youtube and even DbD policies you would see showing a person username DOES NOT fall under the privacy guidelines and it is okay to do so. So whatever your feelings toward this may be you have no case because when you agree to the terms and conditions that you obviously don't read you agreed to it. So essentially you either get over it and understand that you will never get nor are you entitled to a single cent and if you can't get over it then play a single player game.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

So you used a TTV name to promote your channel and ask for it to be blurred. Okay.

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

No that's rediculous. Everytime you go online you lose your right to be anonymous. There are tons of story's of business take facebook photos and using them in products. The people in the picture sue but will lose because they are the ones giving there photos. If you want you photo to be anonymous or to make money off your photo, you can go to a different app entirely. Even if you ask to not have your picture used before hand, that doesn't matter because of what tos says. YOU knowingly put yourself out there without any protection or knowledge of tos, YOU are not deserving of compensation in any way nor do you have any right for your ign to be shown in a video. If you don't want to be in a video, ask the content creator to blur your name. They may do it out of the kindness if there hearts, but not because it's unethical to do so

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited April 2021

Everytime you go online you lose your right to be anonymous.

Depends on where you live. In the EU, we have the GDPR. You shouldn't make such statements without knowing what local laws are like.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,419

To be honest, they are technically correct. The streamer is monetizing someone elses gameplay without their consent. It's the equivalent of streamers being upset when people make youtube clip channels of them. They claim they are "stealing their content" which in this case, the streamer is technically doing the same thing.

• Kovaxz
    Kovaxz Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2021

I'm going to weigh in as a low end content creator here.

I'll start with the second point must be a troll thing. To explain this, I'll use twitch as an example, where in only about 1% of twitch streamers make over 100 bucks a month, and even less making anything close to a living wage.

And now the first point, in order for most streamers to be able to blur out names, you would essentially have to block out a quarter of your screen most of the play time, and not even show lobbies. It takes a significant amount of work that a lot of content creators wouldn't be able to do.

THAT BEING SAID

It wouldn't hurt if the Dead by Daylight Devs added a feature in game that renamed people. Many multiplayer games have this feature already, for example Sea of Thieves, and it helps protect others gaming experiences. I would love to see such a feature in DBD.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited April 2021

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

It takes literally 5 minutes to set up a layer in Streamlabs - OBS that will block the names out, and it's easy to set up a masking layer to hide your screen when in lobby if you are so inclined. Toggling these layers is low effort and is not significant work... and that's if you're lazy like me and don't bother setting up "Scenes" . No need for a stream deck - just freely available software.

Hell, if you play multiple games, you can use the same generic hiding layer to hide lobbies.

And I'm probably the laziest small-time streamer around... if I find it to be low effort, then it's pretty low effort.

• Gay Myers (Luzi)
    Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,427

I think this thread has discussed itself out a while ago - it's a complex topic and streamers also themselves have been asking for a streamer mode, so there is interest to have a mode like that, too.

Whatever you want to do with that though, in regards of your name being there, that is something for you to decide. As of now this is just a big back and forth right here with the same arguments being used by both sides.

This discussion has been closed.