Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why do some players want a BBQ nerf?

VESSEL
VESSEL Member Posts: 1,068

Anyone have any idea? Having a very salty conversation with a guy on twitter about it.

Comments

• VESSEL

I try to play killer more than surv, and most of the time I use BBQ for the points. But RARELY does it ever provide me with that much insane info. Maybe it'll show me 1 survivor across the map. Maybe 3 in complete different directions so I can't do much. I just don't understand how any player can think it's OP unless they have never touched killer (no offence) and refuse to use it.

I think on most of my Blight games it's barely showed me anything tbh.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

The reason i hear the most is not wanting to be found because someone else got caught.

• Lexilogo
    Lexilogo Member Posts: 587

I've said this one before on other BBQ posts, but familiarity breeds contempt, and it's really as simple as that.

• VESSEL

Sorry I'm having a hard time connecting the phrase to DBD. Could you provide an example?

• TwinnedHawks8772
    TwinnedHawks8772 Member Posts: 50

tbh, it's not that much of a problem for me when I play survivor (even though I mostly play killer). if someone gets hooked far away and the killer immediately goes towards me, I just hide in a locker the next time someone gets downed. It robs the killer of information, and gives them the false negative of "oh there's no survivors over there, I can go in another direction" and then I unhook the survivor as they didn't even glance in the direction I came from.

I've also noticed that in streamer gameplay or just playing against killers that killers with bbq often leave the hook faster, they do a 360 and then just beeline toward one direction and bare turning at all to check for survivors around them. This makes it a lot easier to get the unhook or to hide near the hook.

• VESSEL

I don't understand this either sadly. If there's 3 auras anywhere in vision after hooking, then they'll rarely let you be in a position for slugging.

• VESSEL

Problem where there's thousands of players with thousands of different experiences (and biases) coming up with hundreds of ideas

• VESSEL

Ahh I see! Thank you for clarifying. Sad because it shows that the ones complaining have never touched killer by the looks of it. Survivors who play survivor only are way more common than killers who play killer only.

• Starshadw
    Starshadw Member Posts: 266

A new issue that we'll have now is when it's run in tandem with Starstruck - so survivors will be punished for someone else getting caught whether they are close to the Killer (Starstruck) or far away (BBQ).

I think the BP gain needs to be separated from the aura. The two combined make it too powerful, as in as a Killer, you have few reasons NOT to run it. When a perk is being run by the majority of the Killers the majority of the time, something's out of whack.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

BBQ is perfectly fine the way it is. Majority of killers use it for the bp bonus more than tracking. There's plenty of perks and other counters that dont require the survivors to bring anything to the match. Distortion, lockers, be within 38 meters of a hook, run one direction count to 5 and run the other way. But they don't want to get off that gen. It's the same for NOED and Ruin or most of the crap they cry about. Do <insert counter>

It all boils down to this. It has counters, survivor's just don't want to do it.

• VESSEL

I'm still prolonging the hilarious twitter chat. Came up with this. Hands up if you'd buy.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

They don't want killer to have bonus bloodpoints.

• ggezbaby
    ggezbaby Member Posts: 404

they don’t know how to hide in lockers or they don’t know to survive in chase for longer than 2 seconds so they’re scared wittle babies.

i don’t bother hiding in lockers cause i don’t mind if the killer sees my aura, I’m ready for a chase if he chooses to start it lol

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

But the BP aspect of the perk has no impact on gameplay other then its use rate, so it having that almost makes it weaker because people can with a fair amount of certainty always assume the killer is going to have it and thus be able to take advantage of its variety of counters. Take discordance for instance if the same or similar BP mechanic was put on this perk and it became incredible popular then survivors would far less often be grouping up on gens, making the perk essentially weaker because it will be assumed that the perk that has counters will be in play and people will more often take the steps to counter it.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

I don't know. It promotes the opposite of camping which is what I would assume they like. It doesn't need a single change. I wish some survivors learned how to enter lockers. Maybe they'd stop complaining.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

They're bad and don't want to get better.

• JimbusCrimbus
    JimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,060
    edited April 2021

Anyone who wants BBQ nerfed is bad at the game and has a less than valid opinion.

Saying "NERF BBQ" is like saying "NERF PREMONITION!".

• OriginalSyko34
    OriginalSyko34 Member Posts: 20

I hear ya, BBQ has gotten me caught when moving towards the soon to be hooked for rescue. As soon as they hook and come straight for me knowing I left no other signs its a "well crap" moment. It's not like it lasts a long time or anything so for the most part I can evade, but that doesn't always work especially if they use it along with other tracking perks like Whispers. Personally I don't think it needs a nerf but I'm also a killer main so my opinion on that probably means nothing to survivor mains

• OriginalSyko34
    OriginalSyko34 Member Posts: 20

I dont bother hiding either because I'm trying to get better at looping and there's only 1 way to do that

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

Lets not act like every player is in a survive with friends... There are plenty of us solo queue players

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

lets not act like it's not over powered and doesn't need to be addressed though

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

They are followers of the religion called Sluzzism.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Because they don't realize what a gift the Perk is to Survivors, and how much more camping would be going on without it? :) Who knows why people whine about this or that on a given day; some people are just whiners. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

BBQ promotes healthy gameplay by not camping due to aura reading part and not tunneling (at least at the start) for the BP stacks... People just salty because they want more BP too, and I don't blame them since grind is massive. 

But be salty towards the game, not towards the one of the few perks that are balanced like the BBQ is

• DorkianBae
    DorkianBae Member Posts: 227

Imagine thinking BBQ is overpowered, the perk isn't that good. I never use it, literally ever.

Then again I don't play OP nurse.

• jeffypeffy
    jeffypeffy Member Posts: 22

If you nerf BBQ you better buff the BP I get from it. I think a reasonable fix would be to raise the 100% bonus BP to possibly 200% so I enjoy my killer games with pudding much more.

• SavouryRain
    SavouryRain Member Posts: 340

I don't care if they nerf it or not.

But I need the Killers to stop lying to themselves; a large fraction of them would still continue to run it without the bloodpoints.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 462

I don't think there is something wrong with BBQ, even if they remove the aura stuff I would still use for the points just like I used WGLF before the buff.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Honestly I can see why someone would want BBQ nerfed. I don't think it needs one mind you, I can just see the logic of asking for one.

The ubiquity of BBQ largely makes it so attempting to be stealthy as Survivor simply does not work.

That goes double if it is on a high mobility Killer. BBQ on a decent Blight turns into an absolute unmitigated slaughter if the Survivor Squad doesn't have at least 1-2 solid loopers and is otherwise very efficient. There's only 2 perks that block it and both are woefully inadequate for the task. Distortion hasn't got enough tokens and Off the Record can only activate twice.

It's somewhat problematic on Nurse and Spirit as well. Those two killers have their natural tracking abilities hampered by their powers in exchange for unrivaled chase potential with mobility to boot. However, that's when BBQ and who knows how many other really solid tracking perks come into play. They almost completely wipe out those two Killers primary weakness leaving them the undisputed strongest 2 killers in the game.

• Harold_Shipman
    Harold_Shipman Member Posts: 737

Because its so popular. You get caught out by it once or twice, and then see it on every killer you come across (mostly for the BP), you start assuming that every time you see it, it's responsible for your loss.

Most killers lack the mobility to utilise it effectively and even those that do have other perks at their disposal which are just as good, if not better, for tracking.

But the BP is sweet, so you see it a lot, and if you see it a lot, it'll be complained about a lot.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

Yes this is what I've been finding lately, and why I started feeling like BBQ was OP - though as people on the thread I started pointed out, it's actually good at dissuading campers because they then go after someone else so the hooked person can be safely unhooked. I hadn't actually considered it from that perspective, I was just getting frustrated at seeing it in literally every game and I didn't know the couple of counters to it (hiding in a locker or positioning around the gen so the aura obscures me) which I now do. Though now of course I'm quite irritated because I feel like I have to do that ALL the time, because I now just assume all killers are using it since most are, and it just makes my enjoyment of the game worse, personally.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

Absolutely not. Thrilling Tremors is a far superior perk for information gathering that matters -- if I'm playing killer, seeing the Claudette self-caring in the corner a mile across the map from me is nowhere near as powerful info as seeing the generator to my near right is the only one not being blocked as I pick someone up. I run BBQ on a ton of killer builds, and I do so because the BP grind is insane. Take the BP's away, and Thrilling Tremors goes right into those builds.

When I play survivor, it's really easy to find out early whether the killer has BBQ or not. If they do, there's so many counters to it that, if you're dying to it, it's because you're choosing to ignore those counters.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

How is it an issue when it's run with Starstruck? Starstruck doesn't provide any aura readings, and unless you have a different tracking perk (Nurse's, Infectious Fright, Thrilling Tremors), BBQ isn't helping you get any downs with Starstruck. There's no synergy with the perk -- BBQ's range is 40 meters, so unless you're playing something like Doctor with add-ons, if you're showing up on BBQ, you're not going to be affected by Starstruck's exposed effect. If you don't show up on BBQ, you MIGHT be in the TR, but while the killer might guess that (which is just a guess, as survivors might all be outside the TR and be in a locker, hiding behind a gen, using Distortion, etc.), they'll have no way to know that unless they're running one of those other three tracking perks. And if the killer is running multiple racking perks (IF, TT, and BBQ to go with Starstruck, for example), they're at a huge risk of having gens fly by quickly and losing the match without having anything in their loadout for gen regression.

If Starstruck has synergy with any perk, it's TT and Infectious, not BBQ, since those perks with give you the info on people you can actually reach before the 30 seconds of Exposed status wears off -- and those 30 seconds go QUICK. Unless you're playing a high-mobility killer (like Nurse, who probably benefits the most from it), Startstruck is largely a perk that will give you more passive effects (survivors jumping off nearby gens to hide when they realize they're exposed) then it will actual visible effects, like a down on someone. It's a perk that looked like it could be very powerful at first, but the short time period of 30 seconds to down someone makes it very situational and not as useful, IMO, with the exception of just a few killers.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

I want to run another perk in its place but it feels like a waste getting 25k instead of 50k at the end.

• GamerGirlFeng
    GamerGirlFeng Member Posts: 277

I don't mind BBQ, but I find it funny how most claim to only use it for the points but would call it useless if aura reading was removed.

• Rellewd
    Rellewd Member Posts: 195

Just make BBQ to only work not on previous hooked survivors only, or void it out on meatbags on death hook......

• Alphasoul05
    Alphasoul05 Member Posts: 601
    edited April 2021

The only people who complain about BBQ are terrible survivors, of which are, most common, those who play extremely immersed and go down in 10 seconds in a chase.

BBQ has many soft counters, and even some perks hard counter it, like Distortion, or even simply running a perk like Kindred, to see if the killer looks at you. You also have perks like SB to get to safety. Locker. Hide behind gen.

All of these things don't matter to 95% of the playerbase, which are terrible at survivor. They don't realize it encourages a main point of the game: interactions with the killer. It encourages free saves for the killer to leave the hook and initiate with other survivors. It also punishes the killer should they not find you.

If you complain about BBQ without understanding these things then you are, in every aspect of the game, a bad player. Your weak argument of "buh buh I don't want the killer finding me due to another survivor getting hooked" is just that.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Yep and I have been personally called out for relying on BBQ as a crutch...When I was playing TRAPPER!

A killer who gets virtually no use out of the aura reading at all...

It truly is guilt by association.

• SpaghettiYOLO
    SpaghettiYOLO Member Posts: 234

Survivors can literally run WGLF and PT for a crap ton of bonus BPs. That's a 200% increase. But yeah, let's complain about a killer utilizing A SINGLE PERK.

• FoolyCooly
    FoolyCooly Member Posts: 21

Killer main myself wanting it nerfed for 1 reason. Move the bp effect to another perk so people will admit its a suck ass tracking perk and shut the ######### up about recommending it on every ######### killer. It make cringe everytime someone tells me bbq is great on my main,ph, when if i want to win bbq is one of the last perks id use. Most overrated perk in the game. If the aura was the only effect people would drop this perk easy

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    edited April 2021

People will complain about anything. I think most players on both sides agree that BBQ is a balanced perk with plenty of utility and counterplay. Anyone who says it's OP is probably new to the game.