Why is it so hard for some people to grasp that Trickster doesn't NEED to "look like a killer"?

I don't understand why so many people are mad at the fact that Trickster doesn't look like a killer. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! He's meant to look like your average K-pop star, who doesn't look like he'd hurt anybody on purpose. He's SUPPOSED to lead a double life. Hell, there are some people who get SO CLOSE to getting it, but just miss it.

Not every killer has to look like they just unburied themselves, FFS.

Comments

• Necromancer_Yoda
    Necromancer_Yoda Member Posts: 22

I think it is primarily because he is a KPOP star and KPOP is a very love it or hate it genre. I don't personally care for it, but I like that they added a very unique looking killer.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

What does a serial killer look like?

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

And not a guy with purple hair, yellow jacket and a six pack

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981

I absolutely get it that Trickster is supposed to give that feeling that someone who looks fairly normal is an actual psycopath killer, but that's not the problem here. This type of killer could work on another game or a movie, but not in DbD. This type of horror, benefits on the feeling that anyone can be a murderer, which works on a situation where to viewer/player gets surprised in a scene which they discover the identity of killer. On Dead by Daylight, you don't have this same kind of build up that you would get in a long narrative. You just appear in a strange and eerie place, may it be a corn field or a meat palnt, and then you see the killer and you immediately know that you should fear them. The design of a killer should be scary because it is the way of the game to communicate that you should be running from that guy and Trickster design fails to communicate because he is not suited for this kind of setting.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839

I'm fine with how he looks

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

He should feel like a killer before he looks like one

• El_Gingero
    El_Gingero Member Posts: 1,147

He was put in the game to appeal to all the creepy kpop obsessives so they can fantasise about who he’s dating and whether or not he’s gay etc, imho.

• shinymon
    shinymon Member Posts: 298

He's a lot more threatening than the Legion will ever hope to be.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

My personal point is that killer in deaf by daylight should not look like average real life possible mass murderers. All of the other killer are either grotesque monstrosities, fictional characters or horror movie Icons. Dbd should be easy separatable from reality. There are only a few steps from trickster to a completely normal looking dude from reality who was a maass murderer.

Also on the point of goofy skins and cosmetics. They are all optional and they should have picked a simply darker more leather like outfit for trickster and make the bright colored one the optional cosmetic.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

Yeah, basically. People who think that killers have to look gross & dead are lacking imagination.

When I first saw the preview for the new killer I thought it was goddamn genius, and I'm not a k-pop person by any means.

• kucerka
    kucerka Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2021

I actually like his aesthetics and such but I gotta agree he doesn't fit that well in DBD. I'm okay with him not looking like a true killer or being scary - many killers in dbd aren't scary, but that's more like a subjective opinion.

But what I always loved about original killers was that just they always came up with something interesting or known and gave it this DBD twist. And now...there's a killer who look wise is just without any DBD twist, just a k-pop character how unique. They decided to give him a baseball bat for some reason and his unique power is trowing knives because...wait for it, he was throwing knives in his father's restaurant 🤦🏻‍♂. It's just so silly. And let's give him glowing eyes like he's a vampire from The sims 3.

• GlamourousLeviathan

If you take his bat and his knives from him, I would legit mistake him for a survivor.

• GodLikeTerror
    GodLikeTerror Member Posts: 1,054

Don't hate on his bats... That's the best part about him...

• GlamourousLeviathan

First, Amanda is a licensed character from a well-known movie franchise. Second, a mask is something that is attached to one's body, nothing something that is hold and used as a tool. Using only the weapon to justify something being at least a little bit scary in DbD is weak. Don't try to excuse BHVR's bad design choices. Trickster doesn't fit and is the worst design they have ever done.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited April 2021

Neither of those two points are actual counterpoints. Take the mask and the blade away, and what are you left with?

• Xayrlen
    Xayrlen Member Posts: 329

And dogs don't need to look like canines.

Because it's what makes horror game a horror game - a convincing killer among survivors. This tragedy does not make up for a killer at all. In fact be looks like a second clown in a raincoat.

• GlamourousLeviathan

The actual body of Trickster, which includes his garments, is just plain and simple. There is nothing a little bit scary there. If giving a killer a neon bat is a excuse for making a creepy killer, than just give Nea a knife and call it a day. I'm sure she will be much more threatening than Trickster.

• TAG
    edited April 2021

The actual body of Amanda is also plain and simple. Moreso than the Trickster, if I'm being honest.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

He's just not scary. You got all these different killers that actually look scary (except maybe legion too) and then there's trickster. Who would actually look at that and be like yeah that looks something I'd run from. Trickster doesn't fill any criteria of what a killer should look like imo. It also depends on what a person thinks a killer should look like.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,294

I would watch a movie with that version of Michael Myers. Heck, I'll go against my rule of not buying cosmetics and buy Michael Myers and the cosmetic and go back to playing killer.

• GlamourousLeviathan

As I said, Amanda is a licensed character so there is a limit to what the designers could do to her, so even if you don't like her design, it is not BHVR's fault. Trickster doesn't have this excuse as he is a original character. Also, Amanda's pig head is very characteristic and kinda of unsettling and the details on it make it seem like something rotten or gory.

• TAG

"As I said, Amanda is a licensed character so there is a limit to what the designers could do to her, so even if you don't like her design, it is not BHVR's fault."

I don't see why that matters. BHVR could just not put Amanda in the game if that were an issue.

"Also, Amanda's pig head is very characteristic and kinda of unsettling and the details on it make it seem like something rotten or gory."

Not really that unsettling.

• JasmineDragon
    JasmineDragon Member Posts: 372

"WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR SOME PEOPLE TO GRASP THAT TRICKSTER DOESN'T NEED TO "LOOK LIKE A KILLER"?"

Evan MacMillan - Trapper

Philip Ojomo - Wraith

Max Thompson Jr. - Hillbilly

Sally Smithson - Nurse

Michael Myers - Shape

Lisa Sherwood - Hag

Herman Carter - Doctor

Anna - Huntress

Bubba Sawyer - Cannibal

Freddy Krueger - Nightmare

Amanda Young - Pig

Jeffrey Hawk - Clown

Rin Yamaoka - Spirit

Frank, Julie, Susie, Joey - Legion

Adiris - Plague

Danny Johnson - Ghost Face

Demogorgon - Demogorgon

Kazan Yamaoka - Oni

Caleb Quinn - Deathslinger

Pyramid Head - Executioner

Talbot Grimes - Blight

Victor & Charlotte Deshayes - Twins

Ji-Woon Hak - Trickster

You are... SO close, to understanding this one. Like I feel like you're RIGHT THERE, on the edge of understanding this one. And yet....

• JasmineDragon

Yea but no one respects legion either. They get the same "David could totally beat them up" treatment. Pointing out a known issue doesn't make this better.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

Well. People have opinions, albeit questionable ones.

Like what you like, dislike what you dislike. I’m not saying you’re doing it, but just don’t force it on others.

• JasmineDragon

No one thought the bunny skins were good, the "cute" stuff like The pink elephant still have grotesque body hair and proportions and unsettling design elements. I don't see anyone using dwelf skins, ever. I feel like this is a bit of a straw man a lot of people use? The fact that non horror elements exist in the game, is okay if used sparingly. The issue is that the base version of this killer does not in any way seem threatening. And psychological horror does not work if there is no suspense or sense of unknown. There is no suspense, he's immediately coming after you. There is no unknown, it is a kid trying to hook and kill you. How far will he go, what is he willing to do, how will he subvert my expectations??? He won't, he's just going to try to kill you. Calling him a "psychological horror" killer doesn't work if he acts literally exactly the same as the other killers. Its not even an argument

• TheDuhJ
    TheDuhJ Member Posts: 475

I'm more concerned with Trickster playing like a killer actually. And by that I mean being able to get kills.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 774

I love Trickster's design. It just really fits DBD as being this combinations of all sorts of different styles that are all united by some aspect of horror. I for one love the diversity. I remember people said the same thing about Deathslinger too...

Trickster totally looks like a killer tho... it's just a different style of killer from monsters like Demo and Blight or the classics like Myers and Bubba...

• DeadHardMan
    DeadHardMan Member Posts: 319

Can't really use Myers as an example since he's already an established character with his own style and aesthetics.

• ClownIsUnderrated
    ClownIsUnderrated Member Posts: 1,031

I don't care how he looks, I just wish he was actually good/fun to play.

• GlamourousLeviathan

Saw is a big franchise, nobody would ever refuse the opportunity to make a chapter about it. And if you think that a disgusting pig head looks less threatening than a yaoi character, then I have no idea what to say.

• DeadHardMan
    DeadHardMan Member Posts: 319

First off, your images didn't upload, maybe reupload them?

DBD is a horror-themed game. Your idea of horror can be completely different from someone else's. The requirements of adding a new original Killer is their dark history: committing murders, tortures, etc. This doesn't necessarily have to be shown visually on the actual character.

Horror can be shown in a variety of different ways, it does NOT have to be shown in a grotesque or ugly way. Deathslinger and Clown aren't even that mutated or even wear a mask just like Trickster and yet they still fit that dark and grim horror theme.

Why not include a killer who is flamboyant, neon, and visually human? If the killer is a KPOP psychopathic serial killer , why not include him?

Ask yourself this. What make a horror character, horror? What constitutes as horror? Is it just how "ugly" and "creepy" they look? Perhaps there's more to it than just visuals, eh?

• TAG
    edited April 2021

They could pass if it doesn't fit their game since it's just some person with a mask and a blade. 😋

• Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318

Love this. But people in this fanbase don't want to wrap their heads around the fact that a "realistic," "handsome villain" has a place alongside horror icons, "grotesque monsters" and unnerving characters in this game of ultimate horror mashup.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

He's not realistic in the slightest though

He behaves like an anime character