Need help weaning myself off Spine Chill and Windows of Opportunity

Options
ukenicky
ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

So when I play Survivor I almost ALWAYS bring Spine Chill and Windows of Opportunity. I got this game last Halloween and I don't play it religiously so these two perks make me feel a lot safer when I'm playing with my friends or even the very rare times I do solo queue which is almost never.

I guess what I'm asking is for advice on how to replace both of them with something that is more useful.. My friends said Iron Will should be a must pick followed by Unbreakable and while I love those as meta perks, I also love to run off meta / fun stuff more.

Also my last two perk slots I usually run Borrowed Time and an exhaustion perk, my faves are Lithe and Sprint Burst.

I may also try to switch just one out at first then do the other. It's crazy because I don't have this issue so much when I do this as Killer with killer perks lol

Comments

• JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670
    Options

I like to make each of my survivors into a different build. This way I can switch back and forth depending on my mood.

I run jake as a super healing altruistic beast with BT, we’ll make it, botany knowledge, and that other perk, can’t think of its name, but you get stacks from saving people so you can heal them on the ground faster.

I have a blendette that I play immersive with iron will, lucky break, stuff like that.

I run a vault speed build with DH and prove thyself as the extra two.

I try to think of a play style and build around it instead of just spine chill.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,394
    edited April 2021
    Options

If you like this perks you dont need to switch them for meta perks. You dont really need always the best perks and both perks are good. Spine chill is close to meta and paired with resilience you vault really fast and reaching a pallet with windows can extend the chase a lot.

But when you still want to switch them, increase your attention. Try always to know where the killer is. Move your camera when you are on a gen, try to guess what you would do as killer. Learn every tile and the map layouts and try to actively remember which pallets are spawned when you traverse the map.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035
    Options

So, obviously not a meta perk, but i have a good one for weaning off of spine chill. Work with premonition for a while. You'll get more used to feeling vulnerable while its on cool down, but you still get the same range of killer detection with the added bonus of knowing which direction they're coming from.

• n0suchluck
    n0suchluck Member Posts: 35
    Options

I used to be the same about Spine Chill. Then I met Bond and have never looked back. Also I find Kindred to be more useful. Especially solo queuing

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Just try swapping them around for other perks that sound interesting to you. It's not a big deal if you don't find something you want to use more though, Spine Chill and Windows of Opportunity are both pretty solid perks.

If you want more specific suggestions, then consider adding in perks that complement the other stuff you like to use (Quick & Quiet and/or Dance With Me for Lithe, Babysitter and WGLF for BT, etc).

Alternatively, you may like Alert; it kinda provides a looser version of the same info that Spine Chill (killer detection) and WoO (what pallets are still available) do. Might tickle your fancy.

• Mechanix82
    Mechanix82 Member Posts: 184
    Options

It depends on what you like to do, if you like chases then spine chill is almost a must for the vault speed. As far as Windows, i run it almost exclusively to this day. you dont know how much it saves you from thinking you have a pallet when on of your teammates already dropped it earlier kind of situations and IMO gives you a solid idea of where you are going to run off a gen without having to get off the gen.

• rabid_pygmy
    rabid_pygmy Member Posts: 61
    Options

Kindred is waaaay better than spine chill and always worth keeping in solo queue.

As for windows, use map offerings. If you want to memorize pallet spawns, try map offerings with windows for a couple games until you know where they typically spawn, then try those same maps without the perk. I recommend starting with open maps like autohaven or the farm.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Run Alert. That perk gives you a lot of awareness of where exactly the killer is at certain points. For WoO, you just gotta go cold turkey. Get used to looping without its help and you'll become a pretty great survivor.

• ukenicky
    Options
  • ukenicky
    Options

True! I love Spine Chill it's just that sometimes I wish I could bring something else in its place. Of the two I definitely want to drop windows more.

Thank you all for your input this has been helpful, truly!

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,597
    Options

Windows I can let go of, even though it shows me when a teammate has used a pallet that I was expecting to still be there. I could never drop Spine Chill though. You get so much information from knowing when the killer is looking your direction, it's insane. Never get snuck up on, increased action speed, knowing when exactly a killer drops chase with you.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

Quick and Quiet, Deception, Diversion and Head On.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699
    Options

Convert the information from Windows of Opportunity to memory, and you'll no longer need it.

Windows are stronger than pallets, so while WoO is great for taking inventory of pallets your teammates have/have not used, it is an even greater tool for helping you learn how to become better at looping the killer.

Once you feel that you have a solid grasp on how to chain windows together in a chase, you can remove WoO. Without the perk, I advise taking mental notes of where your teammates are/are not taking their chases, and just assume the pallets are used wherever they looped the killer. ...so dont run the killer over there if you can avoid doing so.