Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killers Opening the Exit Gate?

I play both Survivor (Solo que) and Killer, so this is a question for both sides. If I can tell the killer is having a bad time and all survivors are safe I usually leave. However, as Killer, if I'm ever having a bad game where I get cooked, I usually open the exit gate and just leave so I can just move to the next game. Or I would except survivors will follow me around and tbag (either at the gate or as they follow me). So my question is, for survivor do you guys benefit from doing stuff like this, especially when the killer has clearly given up. And for killers what do you do when you run into this?

Answers

• CheesyGuy
    CheesyGuy Member Posts: 399

I try not to give up easily but sometimes you do. If I open the door I will just go to other side of the map as give up most of the time. If they t-bag and etc... well I will be not on my computer most of the time so they can do all silly stuffs. If you dont like it you can ignore them or hit them so that they will escape. However my advice is no matter what never give up. This game is full of suprises and sometimes it is best to keep the game going.

• TonsterX99
    TonsterX99 Member Posts: 14

I appreciate the encouragement, so I'll try not to give up. But It's more like I just want to move on to the next game. I'll try hitting them more and maybe they'll actually leave, I was just curious what others thought. To me it feels like a waste of time if you can escape but instead you just want to bug the killer that's letting you leave.

• TonsterX99

Alrighty, I get the getting points thing, but what do you mean by be smart XD

• Yaassin_q8
    Yaassin_q8 Member Posts: 72

Don't straight up hit them maybe acting stupid is the thing that will get you a down

• Yaassin_q8
    Yaassin_q8 Member Posts: 72
  • TonsterX99

I don't usually run noed, mainly because as survivor I get how annoying it is and I know if I use it there will be complaints from the other side XD.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,132

Sometimes, opening the Exit Gates whilst running both NOED and Blood Warden can punish those survivors who act like numpties.

• TonsterX99

I love the fact I asked for both sides to answer and it seems like only the killer mains did šŸ¤£

• NephilimDiosa
    NephilimDiosa Member Posts: 15

honestly, i dont like to open the door much if I've given up, I would rather let them do it. sometimes I'll just stand on a hill if there's one (and I'm huntress) and just chuck hatchets at things :3 usually the survivors will notice I'm doing target practice and will get in los, run around in circles while they're 30m~ away, and want to see if I can hit them. it's funny and then I'm not so irritated at the match.

one time I was chucking hatchets then I turn around to reload, and yui was standing directly behind me just watching. it jump-scared me so hard.

• Clerica
    Clerica Member Posts: 5

As a survivor, the answer is: Yes.

You can give up if you want, that's fine, but I'm gonna run in and out of your red stain for chase points, flashlight you, take hits, and heal my friends for blood points. Especially being red ranks where going up against a lower ranking killer means try harding just to safety pip. So yeah, I would, if I were you and decide to give up on a game, do a few things:

• Don't open the gate. Survivors want those points.
    • Make sure your red stain is accessible.
    • Just stand there.

That's it! We'll do the rest, granted, it'll take us some time. AFK, go to the bathroom, get a drink/snack, watch a YouTube video, come back in a few minutes, and I promise we'll be done. I usually give a thumbs up to killers who aren't spiteful little shits who open the gates and then stare at a wall to point deny the high ranks. Don't be that guy.

That all being said; I 100% agree with those above. Don't give up! Every hit is points, every chase (even failed) is points, finding and closing the hatch between the second to last and the last survivor leaving through the gate is points. Going around and breaking pallets and breakable walls are points. There's even killer-specific stuff you can do while you wait: e.g. Trapper setting and resetting traps over and over, Twins unbinding Victor, Ghostface or Michael Myers stalking, etc. I've taken a lost game from a depip to a safety pip or even a pip just by doing these things. Go through and read all the emblems descriptions in your end-game screen. Hooking and killing survivors aren't the only ways to get bloodpoints and aren't the only way to up your emblem scores.

• jakers
    jakers Member Posts: 13

this is like, disgusting behavior and you somehow accept that it's fact and ok. But, you know what kind of bully you are.

I think you've played the game so much that you've utterly normalized the negative impacts you have in a clearly MISMATCHED situation.

'spiteful shits' who deny you YOUR points that you deserve? You expect the game the game when it's not a fair match?

Feel free to read this a second time :)

• Tubby_Squirrel
    Tubby_Squirrel Member Posts: 245

As killer I never give up. Don't think I wont pull you out of the exit gate for another hook, because I will. Stopping to tbag against me just gives me a free shot. I will mori you inside the exit gate area without hesitation.

As survivor I may stick around the exit gate area to apply last minute pressure and force the killer to come push me out to buy time for a save, or if the killer had a very rough game I'll let them hit me for a few extra points (If I know NoED isn't in play.)

• ZaynXT
    ZaynXT Member Posts: 27

The best advice i can give you is if the survivors have already won, just stand far away from the exit gates. If they're respectful they'll leave if they're not they'll be wasting their time waiting for you at the exit gate

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Do none of this. They won the game already, Open the door and walk into a corner in the basement and go grab a snack. The point machine is closed

• Tubby_Squirrel

Don't ever give up, even as they are in the gate attempt to down them!

The game is NOT over at 1 gen left.

The game is NOT over when the gates are open.

The game is over when all five players are looking at the results screen!

Hunt them until the clock hits 0. Be relentless! Be icy and calm.

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866

In my experience survivors just want those exit hits/just want you to see them leave.

Few will attempt to heal someone and you can use the opportunity to get some points. I've seen killers nod. Or if you have a crouching killer just do the same and spin in circles. That can break the ice, but there isn't enough time to really farm any points.

If I'm not in the mood I'll just go look around the map for pallets and doors to break, or park my killer in a corner as ReikoMori said, The point machine is closed.

• ReikoMori

I'm not saying if there is a strong possible of racking someone for at least one kill don't take the chance, but if they've done all the gens and you're in a situation where you've only one hooked everyone or hooked no one, the game is over. Unless you've got an endgame build perkwise or a killer with near or on-demand instadowns there isn't much to do except get to the result screen so you can queue for another round.

It's not as if I want people to give up mid game, but from personal experience it is just much less stressful to know when to just open the door and find a corner. So much of playing killer comes down to managing your stress level because this game does get very stressful for you as a player the longer you play. When I started this game we didn't have the option to just concede when it was very apparent the game was over so having the option to cut the crap and move on is a godsend.

I could probably have said what I said earlier with less meme style writing, but yeah. Like Kenny Rogers said, "You gotta know when hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away and when to run."

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513

as a killer, I'll sometimes do it as a sign of respect.

"O.K, wow. that was one-sided. yeesh. ggs. wp, wp."

• Tubby_Squirrel
    edited February 2022

Sorry to say, but you are factully incorrect. If you have only 1 or 2 hooks and they have done all gens the game is NOT over.

If you have ZERO hooks and the gates are open, the game is not over.

When you are looking at the results screen, the game is over. Not 1 second before then.

Even if I have 0 hooks, and all gens are done, I am STILL going to try and hunt you with the same icy focus as the rest of the game. You gain a MASSIVE advantage if you can be not tilted when the other side suspects you are. When you're up against ME you better not celebrate until you're looking at the word 'Escaped' šŸ˜ˆ

• ReikoMori

It's nice we have different opinions that are equally valid.

• Tubby_Squirrel

.... Mine is not an opinion though, mine is objectivly how the game is coded to function. If the game were over at 0 hooks and all gens done, then being in that situation would instantly warp all players to the results screen. It does not. Its not me deciding when the game is over, its the design and coding of the game that decides when no more inputs can happen.

You're basically saying Football games are over halfway into the first quarter. That Basket Ball games should be called at 2 minutes left. Some how video games fell through the cracks of proper sportsmanship... Since I was a baby I was taught to play out the whole game. Quiting before the clock hits 0 is exactly the same as a todler stomping away from the table because they're loosing in Candy Land.

• ReikoMori
    edited February 2022

In basketball the game is basically called at the last two minutes if the point differential is so large that nothing would put you within striking distance of even remotely tying the game up. Chess masters know when to keep playing and when to surrender the game, almost every competitive card game allows you to concede. Most team esports games allow for teams to vote for surrender even though it is rare they will in formal competition the option is there. In soccer you can concede by not putting up resistance against an opposing teams game winning goal.

DBD is coded with the ability of the killer being able to open the door which can be used in multiple ways, one of which is concession. There is nothing wrong with playing the whole game out if you want, but sometimes the extra effort will not improve the outcome. For some it will just be a stressful experience that will make them want to play less. It isn't "stomping away", you're doing exactly what the game allows you to do with the tools provided. People who throw their toys outta the pram usually don't bother even playing long enough to get to the point where opening the door is an option, they just straight rage quit the game ruining the match for everyone.

Like I said before both of our ways of playing are valid. When I was growing up I was taught two lessons, don't give up before you even tried and know when you are at your limit. I don't build around rallying back in the endgame because my playstyle is to get the job done in the mid-game well enough that endgame is just about mopping up whoever is left. if I am unable to prosecute my plans because I'm getting thoroughly outplayed I respect my opponents' time and my own to admit on that day they were better. I know my limits and I know when it is worth pushing them and when its not.

Most times in DBD, for me, it is not worth pushing my limits simply because the game makes it quite clear when the extra input isn't going to make a tangible difference.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851

When Iā€™m playing survivor and see a killer who was having a rough game open the exits (rare), I leave.

When it happens to me as killer, I open the exit gate if I am not in chase, then go into the basement and face the corner. If I am in chase, I will down and hook the survivor first, then open the exit gate and follow the same walk of shame to the basement.