How do you deal with survivor toxicity?

Just wondering, as I'm planning to play more killer:

How do you deal with survivor toxicity? (Either internally or externally)

For the small amount of killer matches I play, I usually giggle a bit at survivors who throw a pallet and t-bag like they're hot #########. Mostly because I'm playing against survivors who outrank significantly (as a red rank survivor main), so I think they're kinda adorable. However, as I progress up I could definitely see this mentality only working for a while, and eventually the toxicity might start getting to me.

Comments

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

I'm a red rank survivor (if that means anything lol) but I'm still a fledgling Killer at Rank 15. I'm trying to play it more, but I find I'm often matched with SWF groups far above my rank and I find it just a crappy experience that discourages me from trying Killer more. Was playing this morning ( I have time off due to lockdown), and in one match I was matched with an SWF where two survivors were Rank 4, one was Rank 8, and their final friend was Rank 15 like me. Not really fair at all. The two red rank players of course, had flashlights and egos so large that they'd require their own weather systems. How did I know? The way they throw a pallet then dance around right in front of me. I'm on console, and they were on PC, so can 360 and all that BS. I did however discover the other 2 players were the weaker links, and went after them more often. The Rank 4's did everything they could to bait me on infinite chases- jumping and out of windows constantly, slamming lockers, etc etc. But nah, I kept focusing on gens and eventually killed their 2 friends.

Because I'm a Baby Killer I run NOED. I have to. It's therapeutic with the bullshit matchmaking I have to endure. But i also leveled Blood Warden.

Toxic SWF's are very altruistic. I always catch one with NOED opening the gate. I leave him slugged until the other gate is open- then hook him and bam. Exits are blocked. It ALWAYS catches them by surprise. Always. It's glorious. So the one Yun Jin fancy pants rescues her pal Flashlight Dwight, they hobble off to the open Exit gate, and RUH roh! Can't leave :[ . And I have NOED.

>:)

• CluelessWanderer

OH I forgot the most important part of my story on how to deal with toxic survivors- i drink while playing Killer. Not ashamed. I freakin' drink when i play that shite.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,188

In terms of the comments afterwards, first of all you won't actually have as many negative comments as you think you will but the mind has an annoying habit of remembering negative moments stronger than positive (due to fight-or-flight reactions). Most either don't respond, leave a basic "gg" or even joke or compliment a particular play. It won't be as toxic as believed.

However, you will get whiners, for which there are some ways to deal with:

1. The simplest option is ignore, block and head towards the next trial. What people hate more than being insulted is being ignored.

2. Make a good-hearted joke .. then follow the 1st option. Not an insult, but something to prove your not really bothered.

3. Get into character! I love this. Once, some guy had a gloat over beating me, so I responded how I imagined The Wraith would - poetic, dark and mystical. The guy actually was decent to me after that! It's also fun growling away as Hillbilly, and only using quotes from Silent Hill 3 as Cheryl Mason. Can make some funny chats!

As for in-game, you can either treat all players as advanced AI, so you depersonalise any actions that bother you.

Alternatively, take it the other way and remember what you see in horror movies. Sure, in a game torch-clicking and teabagging is slightly different to Ripley coming out in a robot suit to face the Xenomorph queen, but effectively it's their way of protecting a weaker person by distracting you or shouting "COME GET SOME, B****!" as they do in the movies. Afterall, taking away all the lore, basically each trial is a mini-slasher. Be the character in your own improvised movie!

Hope you have fun!

• PlunderingPanda
    PlunderingPanda Member Posts: 112

Even as a survivor main, I must admit that I like your style.

I still remember the first time I got Blood Wardened when I had never even heard of that perk before, I was hilariously shocked at how quickly my survival flipped upside down.

• rileyjack1318
    rileyjack1318 Member Posts: 13

i guess you never play killer lol its not anywhere near that easy

• ClumsyTrapper
    ClumsyTrapper Member Posts: 544

I pretend to farm then kill them all

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

i dont, its just a game so it usually never bothers me- and if i feel like it is i just stop playing after that match

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I deal with survivor toxicity but not giving them the time of day. I play how I want and I ignore end game chat.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

I deal with toxicity by injecting it with serum and then beating it to death with a cane.

More seriously, the best way to handle toxicity is with positivity and thick skin. Because of the asymmetric nature of the game it's easy to misread other players' actions and assume hostilitywhen none actually exists. Saying gg <3 or gg wp after every match (even if you don't feel it) goes a long way towards calming tempers and getting positivity in return.

And when you run into actual toxic players positivity works even better. Nothing pisses those miscreants off quite like being nice to them after you beat them. Remember: their goal is to enrage and bully you. Don't fall for the bait. Give them a patronizing smile then just stand back and watch as they have a complete meltdown.

• nicnc82
    nicnc82 Member Posts: 372

We know where most totem spawns are and one always runs detectives hunch. Had a killer dc the other night because he had not gotten a kill and depended on his noed. We knew where it was, got it and rescued with bt. Also had ds. He stood no chance. He dc'd. Don't depend on noed with a good team.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

Agreed. NOED is a crutch. If you're relying on it to get kills you're not learning how to improve. There's a reason why 90 % of the killers who RQ against me are running NOED.

Keeping survivors from completing gens is challenging and rewarding. Getting all your hooks/BP at the end of the match because of a crutch perk is easy and boring.

• BananaBlooD95
    BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 555

It all depend on the killer you're playing, your skill with him & the survivor skill.

EG: you can be really good with Clown but if you play against good survivor you're still won't be able to get a 12hooks

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Roll your eyes at how juvenile they are, don't let them rile you up emotionally (they're more likely to make you screw up that way) and realize that you're more mature and likely a better player than they are.

That's what I do and I'm a SURVIVOR main. I feel embarrassed whenever I'm on a team with idiots like that and always try to make a point of being the one guy who says "gg" after the fact so the killer knows that not all of us are jerks.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

I don't care.

Only exception is if they're actually doing something that breaks the rules, in which case I report it.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

...It looks like Rank 1 NoED? (Kidding! :) )

I tend to get under my skin more than any opponent. I have an over-inflated sense of my own skill, a large competitive streak, and I get down on my self very easily. :(

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

Once you start getting sweat squads just play as dirty as they do. Find the weakest member of the squad. Tunnel them out of the match quickly. Camp them whenever you get the chance. If they try to body block or flashlight blind to protect them then slug them all and let them bleed out on the ground.

Or take a break. Civ 6 is actually a really good game.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited May 2021

That isn't being toxic, although it is just bad sportsmanship. There is zero toxic behavior possible in legal moves within the game. I think even using the word "toxic" is kind of pointless these days as it is entirely subjective. I advise ignoring people who throw it around willy-nilly, and purging the word from your own vocabulary. It is simply better to refer to people as either good or bad sports. The bar to be a "good sport" is actually very low; all you have to do is:

1. Don't cheat, either by hack or lag spike.
    2. Don't disconnect; if you start a game, finish it.
    3. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

That's it. One could argue that #1 above could include the bit about not abusing bugs/exploits while waiting for them to be fixed, but I think that is kind of implied. Playing a game hard, to win, and giving no quarter is just the way the game is played. Tea-bagging is definitely obnoxious, particularly when it isn't to serve any in-game purpose. Sometimes good Loopers do it because they want you to keep chasing them. Ironically, I've been called toxic because I often ignore, utterly, anyone who tries that hard to get me to chase them, until I've killed everyone else. They complain about how boring the game was and wanted to know why I didn't chase them. My response is always the same, "you wanted me to chase you which means you know what you are doing and are are buying someone else time. Why wouldn't I kill the weakest links first and finish you off at my leisure?" This answer never pleases them.

I digress, so I'm going to get back to the topic. Since to be toxic you have to violate the three rules I have above, I'll list how I respond to it in another list which corresponds to that one.

1. I report cheaters through the report system and turn in the video of it.
    2. I report people who disconnect through the reporting system, and add their names to the list of people I won't play.
    3. People who are vile in their after game chatter, salty or just downright crazy get a couple of different responses.

3A. I might simply ignore them, say GG and move on not caring what they think.

3B. I might talk to them being utterly friendly and positive and try to help them like they are my best friends no matter what they say or do. This kind of annoys them more. I can keep this bit up till they give up or the time runs out.

3C. I say something like, "YES! Let me take more of the delicious SALT of your tears!" Revel in their salt to annoy.

I'm only human and which of the responses above I lean toward is going to depend on how I'm feeling. What is key is simply not caring what they say or think. Why would you? These people are really anyone you know, nor are they remotely important to your life. They are just text on a screen, some nameless, faceless moron on the internet. Remind yourself of that next time you feel like you are losing your temper. I don't like bad sportsmanship, but it bothers me less as a Killer than when I'm playing Survivor and my fellow Survivors are being obnoxious to the Killer or one another. That stuff pushes my buttons. I think is important for Survivors to stand up to that crap. And in fairness, I do see it from time to time.

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062

I honestly can't think of anything a survivor can do that's "toxic".

Doing gens - What else are they supposed to do? Stand around?

Flashlight clicking - They're wasting their resources and giving away their position, as well as wasting their time. I welcome this.

T-bagging/gestures - Wastes their time that they could be using to gain distance. Makes catching up and killing them easier. I also welcome this.

• Lx_malice
    Lx_malice Member Posts: 1,417
    edited May 2021

I pretty much just brush it off. I've been playing this game for too long now to let some dumb, petty in-game actions bother me anymore. If they dm me anything that I think I should report them for, then I do just that.

• OperationMintyHippo
    OperationMintyHippo Member Posts: 406

I typically just ignore them. Those people are desperate for attention and to feel important but they won't get it from me. If I do poorly it's upsetting for sure, but I just always keep the mindset I'm still learning things and trying to get better.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,469

A way I deal with survivor toxicity, If I know I'm being screwed with I just go over to a corner and face the wall. No more chase or blinding points just finish the game and get out.

It doesn't happen too often but it saves me form DCing and and I don't get upset that way.

• CluelessWanderer

Dude I know lol. Not everything is a teachable moment. And as a red rank survivor I see NOED and Devour Hope on lots of Killers these days anyways

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,636

Ignore it. Pretend that you don't see it.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    edited May 2021

Well that's just a false statement. Anyone that can play and practice a video game will become proficient at it in time if they want to, especially for DbD because this game really doesn't ask much at all from you to be good at it. It just takes longer for some people to reach that level.