The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

LGBTQ survivor/killer when?

Comments

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326

Ah that sucks. Well, I guess people will be waiting a while longer then. Really baffles me that they would announce their commitment to lgbt rep if they had no intention to do it for at least a year.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,742

We ask for homo relationship representation or trans character representation tbf, just like there's hetero relationship representation.

• OopsAllHexes
    OopsAllHexes Member Posts: 624

Yeah, I'm sorry but I'm currently not up for reading 16 pages of comments, more than likely filled with flaming and arguing, since this subject is emotionally charged.

And yes, I literally said that they made a Twitter post during pride month. But the person who runs the account isn't necessarily a dev. They work at BHVR but they don't actually develop the game.

"Not_Queen confirmed that they working on it" Do you really think a dev team needs one year and beyond to add a gay Survivor? You must know that this is a weak response. Mentioning it in their backstory isn't that hard in the slightest.

No, it is far more likely that their shareholders are affecting their decisions because of who owns a portion of BHVR, and you and everyone else fell for a PR move to gain Internet points.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

I'm just gonna say this: if BHVR makes a dating sim for DBD, I want it to go all out. Lemme date whoever I want as whoever I want. Let the wild ships come to life if they're already confirmed in the multiverse theory.

(Pride charms and little hints at lore would be amazing too though. I just personally want a dating sim.)

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

Posts like this always blow up. Imo I wish people could care less about a characters sexual orientation which doesnt impact the game but I see why people care about it. Imo I could care less if a character is straight or not. But demanding this in a rude manner like this isn't the best way to go about. The devs said they will add lgtb relax and it'll come don't go demanding things it just makes people look bad.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

The devs work on chapters at least a year in advance. With that in mind along with the fact that the devs mentioned in their Twitter post that the influx of support towards their LGBT community during pride month was what finally pushed them to adding in LGBT rep, as well as the fact that the next chapter is going to be RE, the earliest possible chapter we could have received an LGBT character in would be the chapter after next.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

I mean literally every single slasher movie.

especially Friday 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream. Not sure on Texas Chainsaw Massacre though. Others as well of course but I think we can agree those are the big ones. Pretty sure all of them have horny teens that have sex all the time. Scream especially plays with it as it kind of is a parody of the slasher genre. In later installments, they also have gay representation.

• KillerKirby
    KillerKirby Member Posts: 79

So I dont think many of them have any confirmed status. I don't recall any of the lore even approaching this topic really. I think this is one of those cases where the devs dont really care and if you do then there is fan art for that. Most of the characters dont even have personalities in game and their lore is super self focused and not about their relationships. I totally understand why it would be cool to have and it would be interesting to see how its approached I just realistically don't see it happening in this game because its currently a situation where any character could be lgbtq or not and that unknown in some ways is better because everyone or no one could swing that way depending on your view of the character. The survivors are all oatmeal pants somewhat generic so you can view yourself as any of the characters you wish. The killers a bit less so because their more fleshed out to play out a power fantasy in some respects.

• DBDSM
    DBDSM Member Posts: 134

I lurk on these forums frequently but rarely ever post anything. I tried to get involved in this community but most of my posts are ignored or received negatively, so I stopped contributing. However, I often see threads on this topic, and the result is almost always the same: a firestorm of everybody calling everybody else intolerant because they hold different beliefs. I feel compelled to join in this time because I really enjoy this game and want it to stay alive as long as possible. So what I'd like to do is try to bring up some logical points that often get overlooked in threads like these.

Have you considered that the reason the devs haven't included this representation yet is because they can't? Look at it this way: if they make a survivor trans, doesn't that promote violence against the trans community? You are hunting down a trans person with the objective of killing them, after all. Conversely, were a killer to be made trans, would that not imply that trans people are mentally deranged psychos? You might disregard these examples as exaggeration, but people will see it that way. It's like a trap set by looney toons activist groups. Once the keyboard warriors latch on to that, the game will be cancelled for sure. I've been around on the internet long enough to know that someone, somewhere will be offended and take the inclusion out of context, even if it is done with the best intentions. And yeah, you could apply that to "People targeting Tapp just don't like black people" if you wanted to, but I think that's a false equivalency. Oh and by the way, let's not forget about them having to release two separate versions of the game, one of which does NOT include representation, because they would lose markets in parts of the world that are not accepting of representation. Believe it or not, some places on Earth are not so accepting of these communities as others (and maybe that's where you should be demanding change).

Additionally, look at how this thread has devolved. Look at any previous thread about inclusion and witness the chaos this topic brings. It happens EVERY SINGLE TIME. "Everyone but me is a bigot", right? Get real. Do you think the devs and mods want to deal with that headache on a daily basis? People cannot remain civil regarding this topic and it seems to me that the devs and mods just wouldn't want to deal with boycotts and cancel culture in addition to everything else they have on their plates. What happens if they include the representation you wanted, but didn't do it in "the right way"? That would cause way worse problems.

Another point is that the devs will never be able to satisfy everybody. New identities and classifications are contrived on a daily basis. Sure, they could have a rainbow flag charm. But why not a trans flag charm? Why not an asexual flag charm? And so on and so forth until the end of time. It may sound insensitive, and I certainly don't mean it to be, but this is coming from someone who played Overwatch at the height of their "lore enhancements". I have seen how the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" scenario plays out in most every form of media that attempts to appeal to everyone. Somebody once told me "Obama wasn't black enough". That just blew my mind, but I think it's a good example of how the world is today. Nothing will ever be good enough when it comes to representation, so long as there is one person who feels excluded.

This final section is personal. I think seeking representation in media is dumb. Now, I am not willing to reveal identifying information about myself on the internet, but I will tell you that I am very rarely represented in media and when I am it is typically a negative representation. I do not seek characters that REPRESENT me, rather, I seek characters that APPEAL to me. I mostly play as Bill in this game, despite not being a Vietnam vet. I just like Bill because he's Bill. I don't play as Clown because I'm a clown, I just like how he laughs and coughs all the time. I think it's unrealistic to demand that the world change to suit you and your wants. I understand wanting to relate to a character, but I do not understand the need to have relatability in a game with very little narrative and has little influence on the gameplay. The characters are mostly blank slates, why not just make them who you want them to be in your own mind? Why would you force your beliefs on someone who does not share them? Isn't that a little... dare I say it... intolerant?

Please do not misunderstand my statement as a protest against inclusion. It's not like Jake wanting to see Ace naked is going to impact the gameplay (I would hope). People are what they are. I dislike people in general and have difficulty relating to and understanding them. I am more concerned about the longevity and health of the game than representation. It is possible that in trying to appeal to everyone, you appeal to no one. I don't want this game to end up in a Battlefield V situation. Dead By Daylight is a unique game, and one that I quite enjoy. It is in fact the ONLY multiplayer game that I still play consistently. I would hate for it to die off early because of a short-sighted miscalculation brought on by peer pressure or mob mentality.

However this works out, I'm sure it'll be aldwight. But please, stop firebombing each other on a freaking video game forum. Some of us just want to play the game and have a good time.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

I'm not trying to sound exclusive either but why is it so important that the game needs someone in the LGBT group?

As others have said no characters backstory focuses on if they're straight, gay or whatever. In the world of DBD none of that matters. The entity doesn't care. Killers don't care. If someone identifies within that group that's great but just because something isn't clearly defined it shouldn't matter.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

I'm trans myself and my question to that is, how would you make a trans character without it being a stereotype/token?

Another point is that we dont have the lore for all the characters we have in game yet, so we don't know if one of them is going to be LGBT.

I agree with what someone else said. I think the best approach to someone's LGBT identity is it to be mentioned in the lore, and not in the way the character appears.

• AshesofDreams
    AshesofDreams Member Posts: 20

It would change absolutely NOTHING for someone's backstory to mention they were LGBT. Would not change the gameplay, would not change the character. And yet it would make a lot of people happy because they want to see it. There is no good reason to be against it. People need to stop pretending they have a deeper reason beyond disliking gay people.

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Lots of people seemed riled up over us wanting a single line of lore to acknowledge that gay people exist

• CornMoss
    CornMoss Member Posts: 538
    edited May 2021

Decided to remove comment due to being rude, sorry people. I still do disagree with this though

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

I understand the representation is important to many people and I completely respect people's wishes and desires for it but I find it really silly put the demand for such a thing on what is essentially a business/corporation.

Dead by Daylight is a product first and foremost no matter what anyone says about it - If the developers think something is profitable and tailored towards mass appeal, they'll do it regardless. All they need is to be willing to make content that tailors to specific demographics which they already have done with chapters like Trickster.

I think they're already planning something for Pride Month, I'm not going to discuss specifics because it's against the forum rules to talk about leaks but do your own research and you'll probably see what I'm referencing

In the end, as long as a character is to people's likings it's irrelevant how I feel about it. If content isn't made for me then I don't have to buy it. It's how the market works right?

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

No, just retcon the parts of the lore that mention relationships so people can insert or speculate whatever they want. I mean sex is part of someones private life and what they do in private. By adjusting a few lines of text for the Nurse and David, problem solved. Since apparently people don't have enough imagination to inflect their own sexual desires on a fictional character. Like I said just because David has an ex girlfriend doesn't mean you know everything that goes on in his private life. As a character there could be other reasons why she's an ex. He could be into men on the side, you never know because its not mentioned. So it'd prolly work out better to just dump that bit.....and now he's whatever you want him to be.

• Mooks

many people do actually care without there being something wrong with them.

if someone wants to exclude any LGBTQ+ topic in a Videogame that already features multiple heterosexual relationships, then there is something wrong with them.

if someone genuinely doesn’t care, they wouldn’t even notice inclusion at all and can ignore any discussion/speculation on it.

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

I’m a bi sexual who is getting annoyed at people pushing this. Who’s to say there aren’t gay characters already? They haven’t fully specified anyone’s sexuality. I honestly enjoy that it’s up to us to interpret what each character identifies as, take that opportunity and have fun with it.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Can I ask you a serious question

What do you actually consider to be appropriate representation? Is it one character that belongs to the LGBT community? Is it multiple all with different characteristics? How many is too little, too much?

This isn't a snarky question, I am genuinely curious.

• Krunga
    Krunga Member Posts: 159

If it's in their lore and tomes I'm all for it, but if a character is flamboyantly LGBT then no.

• PigMainBigBrain

Actually you'd be wrong because I spoke up way back then on a dif account. Saying, "Whats the point of having this lore about who Nurse was in love with when here entire character is built up around a job of being a Nurse." It was bad fanfic writing, about as empty as shipping an ex relationship for Michael Myers....HE IS THEEE MONSTER. Its like throwing out "Hey man Michael Myers really likes Legos" <--unless you're also going to introduce a section of the movie where people get away by lobbing legos at Myers its irrelevant to his lore and just a random thrown in bit for padding and then never use it again. And Nurse is especially bad because they don't even go into detail as to why she twisted. At least with the Original Myers lore it mentions WHY he became the way he did. And I know I'm comparing a AAA writing staff that went on to make legendary movies to a video game team....but, writing is writing.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
    edited May 2021

Again, tomayto tomahto. it's modifying the lore to tack on the label of "gay," which wasn't accepted well by a lot of good and bad actors in the community.

That's not what a strawman is. I didn't impugn anybody of holding any contention, this or that. What I did say was that creating a gay character is usually a catch-22, and creating one that actually gets a good reception by the community is just a lot of work that BHVR might not find compelling to do. DBD sales aren't going to go up if there's a gay guy in the mix. Overwatch's sales didn't go up when and because Soldier 76 got his reveal, same with when Tracer got her reveal.

Plus, it's not like most of the characters are decidedly straight. Most of their lores make no mention of romantic entanglements, with some exceptions like Nurse and David (I think) using them as character development. BHVR isn't the final sayer on lore, especially when it's left open and ambiguous. Whoever makes Overwatch hasn't made any comment on Zarya's sexuality but ask anybody in the community and they'll tell you she's a lesbian (which is kind of going back to the point about "distinct LGTBQ features," since they're really just judging her based on how she looks and talks).

• Mooks

Or… just let the devs create the character that they want to create without pushing them into anything?

it is very clear they have widened their focus on backstory of character. The backstories of new characters are more fleshed out than the originals and all of them get lengthy archive stories that feature many different relationships to other people.

they would have sooner or later added romantical or even sexual relationships no matter what. We know a good part of the devs from streams and videos etc and we know they are diversive and open-minded and inclusive.

let them do with their medium what they want to do with it. Speak up if you want to criticize something of course. They are only human beings after all and make mistakes. They might change their point of view and act on it. But don’t demand them to change just because you don’t like LGBTQ+ inclusion.

imagination and fanfic doesn’t get hindered by that. You can still think your David is heterosexual or not defined even if he gets a homosexual relationship added in a Tome. We also still have that multiverse that even explains why there can be multiple of the same char kn one match after all. There could theoretically be a killer and survivor char of the same character..

• Mooks

who is exactly pushing though?

they have confirmed that there will be LGBTQ+ inclusion and someone asks when.

no one pushes.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

You'd have to ask the people for whom representation matters. I'm not one of them, I'm just advocating for them. I will say, though, that having literally just one is most likely a very good start.

Source? I'd definitely respect you a lot more if that's the case, because at least you're consistent, unlike so many others. I'd still disagree with you, just for the record, but I'd respect you a lot more.

BHVR isn't the final sayer on lore, especially when it's left open and ambiguous.

Yes, they are. "Death of the author" is a silly concept. If BHVR says something is X, then it is X.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

In many if they don't have sex outright they are about to and are killed just before. Texas Chainsaw didn't have any sex/nudity but that's because Hooper wanted it to be rated PG, MPAA was like "haha nope, R" 😂

Couple more:

Psycho - Oldest slasher movie opening scene is guy trying to convince shower lady to call out of work for afternoon so they can continue their lunch break hook up for round 2. 😂

Sleepaway Camp - killer's dad was gay and they show him in bed with his partner after sex, counselor and camp owner plan to hook up - those are two I remember off top of my head from first movie.

Prom Night - several different sexual situations.

Sexual situations almost seemed standard in R rated slasher or horror movies, especially in the 80s.

• ShamelessPigMain

Hoooonnneeeeyyy you need Trixie Mattel as her own killer, forget lady bunny.

Her power is throwing shade and everybody just dies

• PigMainBigBrain

You put too much faith in BHVR to do this right and I'm tellin you guys......if you get Lucian 2.0 don't come @ me.... Just saying.

• CornMoss
    CornMoss Member Posts: 538

She sure does look like a killer that would be in dbd

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

Permit me a moment to brag but my partner and I met Katya in real life at a club.

We're Russian immigrants (to Canada) and just to put it out there- Katya actually doesn't speak Russian LOL. He couldn't understand us at all when we spoke it to him ( because we thought maybe he did). Just as funny and likeable irl though.

• Demogorgeouse
    Demogorgeouse Member Posts: 361

stan Cryptv or die ( sarcasm btw)

• Demogorgeouse

Trutth is, im just sick and tired of getting told im going to hell cos im bi. Why cant we have equal representation? Its not fair.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

You said a lot of the stuff I wanted to but was too lazy or too clumsy with words to articulate.

• PigMainBigBrain

Ok since we're gonna play strawman games, please point to where I "LITERALLY" said any of that since your posts have "LITERALLY" been transphobic all thread...

• Orion
  • Demogorgeouse

Yeah im surprised too. I got 55 voteup from this post alone.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

I'm pretty sure Trickster is gay.

• Demogorgeouse

NOT CONFIRMED. And hes more femme cos alot of kpop idols dress that way. Also stan loona

• Mooks

What @Orion said.

now where was I transphobic? If I was I apologize as it was definitely not intentional.

• ShamelessPigMain

Her secret power is that she brings out the movie "Contact" and says "I will not Jodie Foster this kind fo BHVR" and then puts a high heel in your eye

• Demogorgeouse

Ik its just stupid that LGBTQ people have to use their imagination when heteros dont.

• ShamelessPigMain

Yeah she speaks fluent French but I doubt she's a masochist enough to want to learn to speak Russian. Her only fluent language is the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster.

*laughs in declension*

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Also, there is nothing wrong with ‘feminine’ or ‘obvious’ gay people. The idea that every queer character has to have their sexuality only kept to an obscure reference to avoid pandering is homophobic, even in other gay people. Internalised homophobic exists, the ‘I’m not like other gays’ is not a healthy mindset.

• B_Random
    B_Random Member Posts: 370

We got Trickster, isn't that enough for you?

• ShamelessPigMain

And why is it the case that BHVR gets some kind of imperative that puts them on the top? What gives them the monopoly and sole proprietorship over truth as it pertains to DBD?

It's not even death of the author, bless Lindsay Ellis' heart, it's just the idea that truth is only so much as what you want it to be. I can retcon Ron to have married Draco and Joanne can go bleep herself.

• Demogorgeouse
  • Orion
This discussion has been closed.