Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Can we go back to this being a horror-based game?...

2»

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

May I ask what actually counts as a horror game and which features have to be present?

because I am pretty sure any game isn’t scary anymore after playing over 100 hours. And you get to know the enemy’s patterns and work around them.

DbD is still very much horror themed and has horror elements all over. The survivors bodyblock out of fear for their teammates, they do gens next to the killer to have have a chance at escaping because otherwise it’s certain death.

• DropdeadPiggy
    DropdeadPiggy Member Posts: 155

Yeah I play that game too but the difference between that game and this game is that game was made by a semi-competent developers this I don't know man

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

The game is still scary to new players. It isn't scary to you because no game is after enough time.

Also multiplayer vs games cannot be scary past the first few hours anyway.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

A new spoopy map could help with that. You better have a map resident evil.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

I guess not. I get that my ideas are always accepted but if they are always as options then it's not forced upon you. Made a thread and everyone said it's a bad idea

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

You sound like you should take a break from this game.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Did u just compared horror movie to dbd? Lmfao I have a idea why don't survivors run down the stairs screaming help me help me and than falls down the stairs like proper potato and than asking killer for mercy? I think this would fit by ur opinion because u think horror movie is any reliable source to base game on

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,519

Indeed it could, but I don't think it will be enough.

• Funky_Monkey
    Funky_Monkey Member Posts: 6

Dbd isn't meant to be a horror necessarily. Sure, it has horror elements but it's not meant to be outright scary. I think of it more as an objective type of game. I mean saying this game is horror is like..."R6 is a tactical military sim".

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

Wait. That's an actual statistic? I hate to say it, but I'm very skeptical. Not saying you did anything or are lying. Something feels odd

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I don`t get you.

I get scared by Ghostface and Meyers all the time. I think Bubba is a surefire reason to run and hide and Wraith is still a scary hunter...also Spirit appearing next to you...

Well, let us just say, that it depends on your own mindset. If you want DbD to be spooky, then go on and play like that. Immerse yourself into that fantasy a bit more, do not bring Dead Hard, Deceisive Strike, Iron Will and Unbreakable. Leave your Spine Chill and Object of Obession at home.

Horror games are not scary because of jump scares. They are scary because you allow them to be scary, because you immerse yourself and let the game "do its Horror-thing". So get into that fantasy if you want, nothing is stopping you. The Killers do not have any goofy costumes (even Clow is still a Terror), the maps get more detailed and play to more Horror then just "dark and spooky" (Reworked Coldwind is brilliant, showing you just how scary even a bright place can be), the devs do many things to help you immerse if you just let them.

And if you play Killer, well, play to the fantasy as well. Bubbas basement is scary, Ghostface stalking done right is scary, Pigs game can be nervwrecking. But you need to be good at them. Nobody would take a Chainsaw murder serious if he misses all his swings, nobody would take a Stalker serious if they get revealed within 3 seconds and so on. You would not be scared of a bad killer under any circumstances. You get scared if the killer is skillful, because then he has a chance of well, killing you. Same here: You want survirors to fear you? Hard work for sure, I am bad at it myself. But I can not blame the survivors for not fearing an incompetent killer like me playing Nurse or Executioner.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

It seems so jarring. I don't believe that's how many solo ques there are, there is always a constant complaint about solo and killers getting screwed over by swf

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

I'm glad I'm not the only person who loves Midwich. SO many complaints about my favorite maps, almost always boiling down to "please disable it, it's too survivor-sided". And before anyone accuses me of being a pallet abuser, I SUCK at Midwich, lol. I just love the style and atmosphere.

To me it feels like the mist and spooky ambiance has gone down even in just the couple of months that I played the game. Maps feel way too clear, just urban areas and not part of some ethereal realm. I would jack up the mist by at least 25 percent and darken the maps by at least 10-20. Then again I think a lot of people play with their brightness turned really high for tactical advantages, everyone says that Coldwind is now too blindingly bright and that is absolutely not the case for me (not that I don't wish that we still had some night maps on Coldwind).

• GeneralV

If that is the case, my friend, then I am positive you would've loved how maps looked back in the day. The creepy ambience / atmosphere was actually a thing, even better than Midwich if I do say so myself.

For a very long time, Old Lery's was my favourite map. I loved it to death, both as survivor and killer... until the rework ruined it for me. Now Midwich, together with Mother's Dwelling, is one of the few maps which can provide a similar experience that Old Lery's provided, at least in my opinion.

• HaunterofShadows

It's not actually survivor sided it sucks for both in my opinion.

• miketheratguy

Lery's is another of my favorite maps. I seem to favor many of the maps that others hate for some reason: Haddonfield, Hawkins, Lery's, Gideon's, Red Forest, Midwich. Then again the only ones I don't really like are Dead Dawg and the swamp.

What made Lery's so much better in the day and why is Midwich considered a bad map for both sides?

• GeneralV

Well, I have no idea why people hate Midwich, probably because they don't like holding W to navigate through the map, but who knows?

As for Lery's, this was just my opinion, but by the Entity I loved that map! It is hard to explain why, I just really liked that eerie feeling. And I would do anything to see this again:

• HaunterofShadows

I seem to favor the killers people hate. People despise going against spirt I love going against her.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

when DBD gets REAL competition the devs will get off their ass and fix this

• GeneralV

Well, I am not so sure. Maps never required a graphical rework in the first place, yet they did it... And, unfortunately, I doubt they will revert such changes, or at least try to fix it.

• PabloLovesMC
    PabloLovesMC Member Posts: 163

Survivors shouldnt be able to hug the killer without fear is what theyre saying. The killer should be free to body block because thats what a killer would do in a horror movie. Find a good horror movie where a character willingly shoves their face into the killer just so their friend can escape where that person also runs away just fine. Survivors are op. You dont wanna be body blocked as a survivor dont be somwhere you can be bodyblocked but being bodyblocked by a survivor is bs

• HaunterofShadows

That's if DBD gets competition. HSH is about to shoot themselves in the foot. F13 isn't getting updates. Last Year devs are done with it, Predator Hunting Grounds has a few bugs and awful q times and so on and so forth.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

No. SWF makes proper horror impossible and the game is more fun overall if you're not hiding constantly.

• HaunterofShadows

Yeah. Most multiplayer horror games are co-op not multiplayer that way the horror aspect remains with them.

• miketheratguy

OUCH. That is gorgeous. I almost wish I hadn't seen it...

• GeneralV

It sure was! I miss it so much...

And funny fact: it was a rather unique experience playing this map with Old Freddy, because it was so damn bright. Yet, I loved it anyway.

This video from Monto shows what I am talking about:

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

No. A horror game is going to be wildly in favor of the killer, since the point of horror is to fear inevitable mortality. DBD, along with most similarly-themed PvP games, is a slasher.

• Mooks
  • ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

Well, Resident Evil is action-adventure, not PvP. That removes the aspect of humanity from the monsters and horror. Nemesis doesn't teabag you, after all.

• Mooks

That was not the question :)

you don’t have to like it or find it scary but that doesn’t make it not-Horror. Same for DbD..

• Mooks

Weird, I could swear I have seen it being labeled a horror video game, horror survival, maybe horror-action…

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Speak for yourself....

I farm screams bish!

I don't think the game has gotten any less scary in theme. But it has gotten less scary as far as pressure is involved. Making people jump out of their own ass is fine. I don't think to this day I've ever had a problem with jump scaring people. But not every killer has a scary kit.

And I think that is the main problem. Most killers in this game just do not have a scary or the type of kit that keeps players on edge. Something I think they should actively try to solve tbh. Before we get more cartoon ass content making these licensed characters look like joke characters.

If BHVR can't get it together and keep some of the shocks and cool sweat inducing interactions up then this game will go down the well into the "Party cartoon pvp" spectrum. Like Fortnite or something. The whole reason I even bother with DBD is because it was horror in nature. They just need to adjust a lot of these killers kits, soundtracks, and interactions to either keep people on edge when you're playing against said killer, or stop giving as much information when you're against a more spooky jump scare type of killer. As a Pig I know I'm doing a good job with this because I can read a survivors reaction, and later check a vod to confirm if I did indeed make someones heart jump out of their chest when they pop a gen and sprint burst away. Then I'm doing my job at least for the survivors who did buy this game hoping to see something or experience something scary.

You know it'd be like buying the game Outlast, and instead of the monster and environment going out of its way to scare the player, they instead post a bunch of text on screen warning you of each and everything thats about to happen next before it happens on screen. Thats the problem with current dead by daylight and its fear factor. Basically, you're watching a horror movie and there are spoilers that pop up on screen 1 minute in advance. Imagine that, going to a theater to see a horror movie and that type of text is constantly popping up.....wouldn't you walk out or feel like you're getting cheated?

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

All i'm saying is that people don't get several thousand hours in this game for its horror aspect.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I loved the map reworks but now thinking about what you said about the maps being less scary i kind of agree, at least for me the older maps not being that realistic added to the feeling of them not being real, the only way i see them able to fix this without reverting the maps would be increasing the fog or adding more supernatural elements to the maps.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Its a good point, I do think skill matters a lot on the killers end when it comes to having a presence worthy of being intimidated over. But I can see some difficulty in that when they outright choose to set up matches where the killer is 5 to 10 ranks lower than the group of survivors. IMO it should be the opposite. Survivors should be default be set up against more skillful killers up until they reach rank 1 where they can only face rank 1's. That way they have a reason to actually try. When you're going against a killer who is clearly new to the game and you're in some bad matchmaking as a rank 8 against like a rank 20 bubba. It makes everything too easy. Theres no sense of thrill or threat.

• miketheratguy

I think a lot of the point here is that the maps appear to have become less atmospheric over time. Brighter, much less fog / mist. Games like this need creepy ambiance to help immerse the player into the horror themes, and it seems like they've toned it back over time for some reason.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

This is a valid point. But I do not think that the game got less scary.

If you turn everything dark then you miss out on some creative ideas.

I for one think that the new corn maps are great. I especialy like the Tompson House with its interior. The corn which is hated by some for its mechanics obscures vision and leads to another aspect of "fear". Running through that can be very immersive: You are out in the open, you do not see if the Killer is right behind you, will you make it to the building to safety? Meyrs and Ghostface, while terrible for the player when stalking can make these maps intense if you let them immerse you a bit. I once even manged to recreate the scene from Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I caught a Diwght right at the door and dragged him into my basement (and no, I did not camp the poor soul, I went out to get the other intruders. Bubba needs to get his 4 stacks BBQ, Bubba likes his BBQ. Xp)

The fact that those maps are bright and not dark makes them no less scary form me. The question is how you create an atmosphere not if you make it dark. Being dark alone is no atmosphere. I especial dislike the new autoheaven maps for this by the way: They just lack the feeling.

• miketheratguy

Those are fair points. Hawkins Lab and especially The Game are two of my favorite maps and they're not dark at all. I also like the new Coldwind maps (though I wish that they left a couple of them dark, there's no reason that ALL of them had to be set to daytime). I guess I just feel that without all the fog, both around your feet and obscuring your distant vision, a real sense of ominousness and mystery are lost. The game feels less immersive to me because of it.