The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

iMpRoVeD mAtChMaKiNg

Aladean
Aladean Member Posts: 1

Ignore the high quality picture and look my surv foes in the same elo.

Is it just unlucky that my matchmaking is that bad or is it a normal thing??? I'm confused and not a native english speaker so don't correct me thx😘

Comments

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,558

I have to wonder, though, when I started playing just after spirit came out, I never saw this many disparities in ranks. However, tonight alone, I’ve versed and “worked with” rank 19-14s in all but 1 game. What changed?

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Buggy matchmaking, ranks are screwed either way as they mostly reflect playtime and not skill, and way too many red rank survs and too few red rank killers. Then there are SWF that either genuinely or purposefully play with high rank disparity which screws rank based matchmaking even more

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

Feels like the more they improve the matchmaking, the worse it always gets. On top of that it's way too easy to pip.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Feels like people are complaining about improvements that fail even though there haven’t even been any improvements or changes made…

• XombieRocker
    XombieRocker Member Posts: 324

MMR isn't active, rank based matchmaking is messed up due to lack of high rank killers. This has been a problem for a long time. Nothing new.

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839

The only way to 'fix' match making is to get more people playing and ranking up as killer during peak playing hours.

The upcoming MMR will lead to more balanced matches, but high rank survivors and a few super sweaty killers will probably face longer queue times than they currently have.

• Blaik
    Blaik Member Posts: 1

Matchmaking is at it's worst right now. I took a 1-2 year long break from the game and i'm now going up against Rank 4-10 survivor's. This game is honestly unplayable right now and I'm thinking about quitting the game even though I really used to enjoy playing killer and survivor.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

We all have the full spectrum of matchs, with difficulty/fairness being as random as the ranks.

I honestly don't think an MMR system will work because there's too much RNG in matches, swf breaks any kind of matchmaking, DbD is competitive only if both sides agree on it, the average skill level isn't that high and the game doesn't have enough of a population, anyone that is legit good is way above the average, crossplay happens in the sense that you do play people in other platforms but crossplay itself creates problems for players during matches like ease of movement, performance stability, graphical options, connection stability and how each platform connects to the servers, etc, one of the biggest examples being Console Dead Hard, it's delayed alot of the times, it works or it doesn't work, visually it looks weird.

And it's all matter of how people aproach the game, i honestly don't think the majority of people care for competitive fair matches, they want to have FUN but the game is broken at a core level wich BHVR can't fix, there is no solution to DbD being balanced because the game's fundamentals are different for both sides, wich forces players to have to make an extra effort if they want to accomplish any progress. It's the same situation in CoD for example where everyone complains about how sweaty the game is because of SBMM but SBMM doesn't make you pick the best gun, the best perks, bunny hop every corner, etc, what SBMM does is take in account all the stuff you do in game and in class setup and put you against people who do exactly what you do wich is why CoD matches are a huge stressfull sweatfest because players want to sweat, everyone is out there trying to be the sweatiest sweat, wich is something that grew up over the years because of all the Tubers doing rigged montages and posting fake matches on reverse boosted accounts and allthat cheaty stuff that influenced an entire generation to be a sweaty tryhard. The best way to counter that would be to play in variety so the SBMM doesn't have just your prefered setup in account and won't put you against sweats as much because you're doing manny varied things with manny varied results so the system has a bigger pool of information about you but you can't do that because the game isn't balanced and the game isn't balanced because CoD has Billions of dollars to make from the sweats that keep buying CoD and season/battle passes and any sort of dlc. Players are the biggest problem in CoD but they're the product of INFLUENCE. and BEHAVIOUR.

My point is this, how players aproach the game dictates how you have fun but broken, unbalanced games won't give you fun. DbD is broken at the core, worse yet is that it's filled with RNG that breakes the weak core even more and people in general are not having the fun they had or think they should have.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Chance of a swf is high, it's only a single red rank, all the others you are designed to match with. You MATCH WITHIN 7ranks, so it's only the one player out of place and that's like due to swf

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

The current MM favors faster que times over fairness.

• lemonsway

Regarding what i said about SBMM and how players should use variety to counter that in CoD i think the same applies to DbD if MMR ever gets ready and implemented. We all see streamers who most of the time do Variety over sticking to just 1 side or just 1 build not just because the content but because sticking to just 1 thing is harmfull for their enjoyment of the game, even those that do stick to 1 side more still use variety within that side.

One of the biggest examples of both sides of this Variety argument is Otzdarva's 50 win streak for each killer. By trying to get 50 wins with each killer he is setting himself up for harder matches the longer each killers streak goes if MMR was on, why? Because he is being successful with a certain set up frequently wich the game has to interpret as a high skill level wich then would make matches increasingly more difficult in opponents skill and also in their prefered way of playing until Otz loses to alleviate the system because if Otz beats everyone the system puts in his path then eventually the system runs out of people to match up to his ever higer skill level. However MMR is not in DbD so what happens in Otz streaks is that he is facing a variety survivors with a variety of builds wich creates randomness for him to face and that randomness is the Challenge itself, can Otz create a set up that allows him to be somewhat consistant with that killer? A setup that covers the killer's weakness or enhances their capacity to allow for consistency.

Throughout this process we've seen Otz accomplish wins we'd say were impossible, we've seen him lose streaks in matches that maybe we thought were controlled and all of those moments are created by player input, his input and survivors input, Survivors input is the biggest part of every match, how well survivors do is based on their input and how well killer does is also based in a large portion to survivor input, as good of a killer as Otz is there will be survivors who can match up to him and create difficult scenarios for Otz (he has this cowshed 1v1 video aswell that illustrates some of what i'm saying) while the other survivors are free progress the game, 1 good survivor or 1 bad survivor makes alot of difference in the game. 1 good play or 1 bad play makes alot of difference in the game, 1 good survivor play benefits all survivors independently of skill level, it's then up to the other survivors to capitalize on that good play, the same for a survivor bad play, it impacts the whole team, this is why Survivors complain about SoloQ and why SWF is so strong, an SWF can transform a bad play to minimalize momentum for the killer and SoloQ survivors are left wondering what happened and what to do next frequently. Otz can make a good play but have that play be denied or see it's merit diminished by the survivor he is chasing because that survivor can also make a good play by antecipating Otz or denied by the team as a whole (for example the team finishing the last gen and activating the chased survivor's Adrenaline, giving them a health state and speed boost wich nulifies Otz's chase), in SWF or SoloQ scenarios this can happen, so Otz's input as killer in each situation has a smaller effect than Survivor's input, Otz needs multiple good input's to create momentum but because every singular killer input is less meaningful than a survivor input the killer experience is always harder and changing, a good killer play might not end up doing anything because Survivors reacted accordingly wich leads to bad killer play being punished harder than a survivor bad play.

So with this we prove inputs by both sides have different weights wich is unbalanced since this is a 4v1 game, there's always 3 bystanders who can take advantage of any given scenario for the team as a whole or themselves as individuals. THIS IS WHY DBD IS BROKEN, killer input is meaningless in the big picture, Survivors dictate how a match progresses.

Then on top of this difference in input importance is the fact that survivors and Killers have different win conditions and objectives. The objective for survivors is escape, the way they do that is by doing gens and open the exit gate and leaving but that task can fall to any of the 4 at any given time and they can help each other all the time by either grouping up or tackling the objective on multiple fronts. Killers objective is to capture and hook survivors as a sacrifice to the Entity. The problem is Survivors can input into their objective 4x fast than killer can input into theirs while each killer input is less meaningful as discussed above. Not only is this an already gigantic issue it's also made worse by the fact that catching any survivor has a minimal effect since each survivor has for all intents and purposes 3 lifes since they need to be hooked 3 times in order for Killer to achieve their objectives. So it takes too long for killers to achieve progress on their own compared to survivors. It's a numbers game and the Numbers spell Disaster for Killer.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Played as Oni on Haddonfield last night as rank 14 killer. Opponents were 20, 20, 19, 5 (twitch streamer)

You can probably guess which one didn't get demon striked 6 times and escaped injured through hatch late on :D

• Rawrbot5k
    Rawrbot5k Member Posts: 58

Just now, roughly a 5 minute match. SWF, Gen rushing, lit totem went down before I made one gen sweep. Like what the actual hell... How many years has this game been out with a key component being this janky at this stage? When I started I NEVER saw this kind of off balance crap but then again the community is dying out and tbh the devs haven't cared about quality updates in ages.

• CLB198
    CLB198 Member Posts: 315

I played as a lv 4 wraith vs 2 rank 1s and 2 rank 2 when I was still under 50 hours

• Lucent
    Lucent Member Posts: 209

BHVR has said if it's a swf it only takes into account the highest(or lowest i guess since 1 is lower than 20 but higher rank?) ranking member.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

Sometimes, it's the lowest. I'm a rank 20 Killer, I very rarely play Killer. But when I do, I usually got a group of three red rank and one brown rank.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

That just sounds like the rank search expanding until all ranks are allowed. Keep in mind that nobody can derank below rank 16 any more, so when you pick up killer, you basically have nobody near your own rank to play with.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I obviously meant while playing (and losing) regularly.

• lemonsway

I can see where MM could have failed but you have to understand two things. SWF bypasses MM near completly and there's less killer players overall. So if this is an SWF then they are bypassing fair matchmaking already and you're the chosen killer. It sucks but it's not entirely MM fault.

I don't play much Doctor but it's apparent you are trying an impossible skillcheck Build wich won't always work, maybe for the rank you are and the ranks you're supposed to face it can be decent but i doubt such a concept will work consistently in higher ranks, if you can't use something stronger it's not an issue, you play how you want and with what you have.

You did nothing wrong and MM didn't either, assuming this is indeed an SWF.