If they removed ranks entirely, would you still play?

It strikes me that a lot of the meta for how the game is played is based on striving to get ranks.

If I was designing the game, a survivor would actually feel lucky to survive. 4 players surviving would be rare but the journey would be the fun of the game. I often play this way, anyway, taking risks during end game collapse because it's more fun than leaving another person on the hook, etc.

Would the game change for you if rank was not a consideration?

Best Answers

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237
    Answer ✓

Solo survivor will become more tedious. You can tell the difference when playing ptb and live. Killer will become more chill, not much difference there.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998
    Answer ✓

I don't care about rank, so I would still play.

However, now that all of my most used (non-prestiged) characters are getting all the perks I want, I'm feeling less motivated to play. Really makes you appreciate the grind at that point.

Tempted to press the prestige button, but it's such a waste with such little benefit.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702
    Answer ✓

I never cared much about ranks so I'd still play, they should just be removed from the game.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Answer ✓

Being mid ranks you'll still wind up against high rank killers because there are so much fewer killers than survivors playing so MM prioritizes time over rank.

On the inverse, when I was coming up in killer ranks back in late 2019 there were more killer players so killer queue times were very long and as a rank 9 killer I was paired with solid red rank teams.

The two things that affect the disparity in ranks nowadays are swf and number of players. Since I don't work in Mondays, when I play during the day survivor queues are short and MM seems balanced but if I'm playing at peak hours in the evening/night I'm waiting 10-20 minutes for a survivor match and it's a rainbow while killer times are instant and either balanced 100% with my rank (or a swf that's close but has a lower rank or two) or a cluster of mid to high rank survivors.

The only time I seem to play against or with rank 20-16 is when they're paired up in a swf with high rank friends.

Answers

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

yes

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

It wouldn't really affect me other than making matchmaking more random and probably more difficult to balance around perhaps

• TwitchyMike
    TwitchyMike Member Posts: 759

Ya I'd still play. If I'm being honest it's a monthly rank and mostly just shows how much someone plays. I've played against horrible rank 1's and great rank 15's and vise versa. So honestly I don't pay too much attention to rank.

• JPA
    JPA Member Posts: 1,685

Yes, as I stopped caring about rank

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

I think it'd be better if they removed ranks.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Once I got to rank 1 with both sides, I stopped caring about ranks altogether

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Long Survivor ques have removed ranks. We now have low rank killers get instant lobbies against all red rank Survivors.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662
    edited May 2021

I can't remember the last time I thought "Wow, I didn't pip!!!". But maybe that's because it's just so easy as survivor to get to red ranks. I pay no attention whatsoever to the pip/emblem system or change my actions in game to try to pip because I'll end up at red rank regardless on both roles if I play enough.

That being said, a ranking system should still be a thing in DBD. Yes, it's a pretty poor system at the moment. But can you imagine having teams consisting of rank 20's with 20 minutes play time? It'd be really, really bad. I'd end up lobby dodging survivors... as a survivor.

If rank wasn't a thing I might not entirely quit, since I would probably play more killer. But even as killer I'd imagine it'd get boring quickly trying to find immersed survivors every game. Or it'd be boring killing survivors every game that don't even look behind them. So all in all, the ranking system should be a thing (although needs to be improved).

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 795

rank doesnt matter and honestly i wish they'd remove it so that people stop calling other players toxic purely because of rank even if they say gg & gl next in chat afterwards.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I'd still play. I stopped to look how many pip I lost/win, I stopped to look at my rank... And I'm still playing.

At the end of a match, I click immediately on Continue to jump to the next game. I even stopped to check my teammates/opponents ranks.

I don't care about ranks. But it took me months before I stopped to care. Now, I'm focusing on improving my gameplay, no matter what happens during the game.

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

I stop on the end screen when the the opposition does something I can't explain. I recently learned how the Demogorgon could apparently find me halfway across the map in a locker (I think it was portaling showing him my aura even though I was in a locker to try to avoid BBQ).

I usually know what's up with survivors when I'm trying to kill them and they pull something off due to mostly playing survivor with my wife.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I think i'd play more, i like me some mixed chaos.

• Kharbarg
    Kharbarg Member Posts: 126

Yes, I would

• Kujonen
    Kujonen Member Posts: 8

As long as you would still get ruthless and merciless messages at the end i'd be fine. The pips and rank number and all that dont matter to me but the game should at least still tell me if the match can be considered a win as without it i'd lack the confirmation i need to actually work out how to improve. For survivor it might be different as without pips it will be hard to determine if i played well when i die, as escaping generally isn't a good indicator

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Probably not.

I'd like some way to visually see how good I am.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

If there would still be a matchmaking i would probably stay. But i dont know.

If there is no matchmaking i would leave. Its too boring to play against player who are so much worse. Winning doesnt feel great. As killer you need to babysit the survivor and as survivor you are just there to suffer. With a good team against a bad killer the matches are faster than the matchmaking. With a bad team you either loop the killer the entire game and thats atleast a bit enjoyable, but most of the time they ignore you and you can only watch your team crumble.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

As long as people are still near my skill level. Thats it. I don't want people who stand in the middle of no where thinking they're safe. I want to feel good about winning, not upset by it.

• Marik13
    Marik13 Member Posts: 683

I mean with the way the matchmaking system is set up right now, we basically don't have ranks at the moment. You got red ranks facing green and potato ranks, and green and purple ranks facing basically a rainbow color of all the ranks. As of right now they could literally scrap the ranks tomorrow and it would make little to no difference to the way the actual game itself functions.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

I think I would play less. Imo anyone who says rank doesn't mean anything lies or has no idea what he is talking about, the lower the rank the less they mindgame and think one step ahead.

Playing with less experienced players is very boring, I'm still salty the rank reset bug pushed me back to rank 15.

• ItzZane_
    ItzZane_ Member Posts: 965

YES

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

Yes but you run the risk of turning away new players. As MM is now rank 20s are more often paired with other rank 20s unless they queue up with higher rank SWF or are playing killer during the worst peak hours that MM prioritizes time over rank so badly that 16s are up against 2s.

• Sypherpathic
    Sypherpathic Member Posts: 488

Well, maybe. I don't think it really does that any more.

I move around rank 11-12 and my wife is usually 8-9. We have been getting rank 1-5 killers regularly the last week. We can tell almost right away when it's a 'good' killer. I almost feel like it would be easier to not know the killers' ranks after the match. Knowing I went up against a rank 1 is a little discouraging, in a way. Maybe we're playing during peak hours like you mentioned..

I haven't played much killer except to get some dailies done or get some quick blood points when my wife isn't playing, so I haven't ranked up as killer but I don't think I'm getting dramatically higher ranked survivors.