is it just me or is this games community slowly becoming more toxic

and i don’t mean tbagging or tunneling, i mean actual harassment and insults to other people in end game chat or messages on console. I have been called homophobic slurs before, racial slurs etc. it just feels like everyone in this game takes in game actions way more personal than actual insults. but i don’t know maybe i just get more bad apples than other people, but it feels like there are way more ######### in this community than before

Comments

• LittleSagey
    LittleSagey Member Posts: 78

I mean, thats any online game really, when i used to play league people called each other every name under the sun. Its just keyboard warriors trying to instigate and get a reaction, best thing to do is just ignore them or say gg and move on. Dont take it personal

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Not really, it’s always been bad in literally every game because there’s a lot of bigots who play games

• ggezbaby
    ggezbaby Member Posts: 404

it has been this way since I started playing a few years ago. it’s especially bad on console, because you cant just “close the chat” like all the pc chads on here tell you to do. hopefully you don’t let it get to you too much! these people are clearly hurting inside & just want to make other people feel bad too, because you killed them in a game they’re used to bullying the other side in.

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655

Oscar Wilde wrote something to the extent of "Give a man a mask and he'll show you who he truly is"

The relative anonymity of the internet allows people who are toxic to be toxic without having to face the ramifications of their actions. If you said some of those things to a person on the street, you might get hit for that behavior, people around you might stop associating with you, you could lose your job, etc.

But here on the internet, the worst that happens is that you get banned. So if they don't care to keep playing the game, if they think they can get away with it, or they have an alt account to fall back to, in any of these cases they face little consequence for their actions.

DBD is inherently antagonistic with the gameplay, the 4v1 can lend itself to the mob mentality where someone feels like they have the okay to be toxic because they are in the more numerous group. While the 1v4 can lend itself to the underdog mentality where one feels like they can be toxic to the people because they outnumber them, and clearly they must be the bullies. All of these are intensified if the person involved lost and doubly so if the behavior of the opposition could be deemed rude or underhanded.

Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense? I'm not a therapist, I'm not qualified to understand why people do what they do.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Becoming?

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

Now I'm not saying this is the case, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were. You know how dbd keeps adding these Iconic killers into the game? So I think that since we're getting all these killers, then we're getting a portion of their community with all the flavors that come with them.

Can you imagine what the forum will look like when we get a fnaf chapter?

Even a Herobrine Minecraft chapter.... I can't.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

For me it gets less. I dont know why. I had messages disabled bc it was that bad and after i enabled them again there were still some messages. But now i get almost nothing.

Things that changed: i started to report people (ps4 support), i got better and i have less mercy in a match.

But nobody can see that i report often, i think my winrate was high before i disabled messages and now that i dont play for 12 hooks anymore survivor should be more likely to bm me. So i have no idea what happened.

• VioletCrimes
    VioletCrimes Member Posts: 878

It really seems to depend on the day. Some days the chat is just a zoo of people being #########, and then some days it’s people being perfectly lovely. Maybe it has to do with movements of the planets, I don’t know.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,801

I haven't noticed this personally. I'll occasionally comment if someone is extraordinarily toxic or committed to tunneling, but usually I'm friendly in the lobby and people usually reflect back whatever energy I'm putting out. I haven't noticed a difference over time. If you find people being toxic to you in the lobby, kill 'em with kindness. They usually back down, or rethink what they were going to say before they say it.